Antelope bullet

codyj23

FNG
I'd take the 6.5 and not think twice. I love my 300, but for an all around for the species you mentioned I think that would be an awesome caliber. My first gun was a .260, and it was responsible for a handful of elk kills.

MO-ELK

FNG
I'd take the 6.5 and not think twice. I love my 300, but for an all around for the species you mentioned I think that would be an awesome caliber. My first gun was a .260, and it was responsible for a handful of elk kills.
Yes I think I'll bite the bullet & bring the 6.5 prc vs 300 win mag & just throw the ol lever 3030 in as back up. The 6.5 was my first rifle original in 270 I re did with proof barrel & custom stock, finishing up the bedding job now, hope she shoots, but would be cool to do the out west trifecta with it! Good luck this season!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

codyj23

FNG
Yes I think I'll bite the bullet & bring the 6.5 prc vs 300 win mag & just throw the ol lever 3030 in as back up. The 6.5 was my first rifle original in 270 I re did with proof barrel & custom stock, finishing up the bedding job now, hope she shoots, but would be cool to do the out west trifecta with it! Good luck this season!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thanks and same to you. Every rifle has a story!

I'll repeat what's been said above -- the 130gr TTSX is a great .30-06 bullet for antelope. Shoots flat and doesn't ruin meat. Double lung is ideal but even if you hit the shoulder you're not blowing it up.

OP
Ryan.kemp14
150 grain E Tip, as mentioned above, or 150 grain TTSX would be a solid choice. They don't blow up and mangle smaller animals like antelope as lead core bullets do. I'd pick whichever groups better for you.
I used these this year and they did great.

Wyattblu48

Lil-Rokslider
Hoping to drop one this year with my 6.5prc! Supposed to draw the best unit In Oregon in 2021

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Ryan.kemp14
What 150 bullet did you use?

I shot a doe at 60 yards with a 165 ballistic tip out of my 30-06. It was broadside and had a softball sized exit hole. Though designed for thin skinned game it was too devastating! If I went again, I would use my accubonds in the same weight.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I used 150 Barnes tip triple shock.

OP
Ryan.kemp14
I use 150 graing ballistics with 300 WSM for all game from antelope to elk and moose sized game. It's nice having one shell to use for everything so I don't need to adjust from one species to the next. I think angle of shot and amount of bone hit by bullet really determines the size of the hole/holes. If you hit tight behind the shoulder you likely won't ruin any meat or hit any bone other than ribs. If you really want to drop larger sized animals that are often tough to put on the ground a shot through one or both front shoulders will likely work well but ruin meat.

With that said, I've shot antelope just about every year for nearly 50 years and a well placed shot directly behind the shoulders will almost always put them on the ground no matter what type and size of bullet. Thinking back, I can't remember wounding any antelope with a well placed directly behind the shoulder shot. I grew up with a 270 and now use a 300 WSM just because I prefer a larger caliber that I can use for all game.

With long range shooting getting such attention I think the wise and responsible thing to do is to make a great stalk within 250 yards and your antelope will be dead. A lot of guys I've seen antelope hunting that wound antelope are shooting way too long of range! The wind howls in Wyo just about every day. Wind plus long distance shooting doesn't make much sense? Maybe I'm old school because I get a lot of satisfaction out of long stalks with shorter shots rather than long shots and short stalks!
I agree with the shorter shots. It is a lot smarter and they run less.

Headed to WY this year for my first rifle pronghorn hunt. I'll be shooting my 280 ai. I have an accurate elk load worked up with Nosler 168 gr ABs. Should I stick with it or drop to 120 gr AB and gain 400 fps? I'm thinking the 120 gr speed advantage would offset the weight disadvantage in the wind. 120 gr. should be more than enough for pronghorn, right?

rharbaugh

WKR
Something that doesn't expand is best IME but you want the bullet to miss the quarters entirely and double lung them broadside. I shoot Barnes TSX out of my 25-06 and 7mm.
I finally found some TSX to start reloading. What can you tell me about expansion/performance at different velocity/distance?

I disagree. You need soft tip expansion, or they end up with a pencil hole. Then they stand there in shock, or they run quite a distance.

Sled

WKR
I finally found some TSX to start reloading. What can you tell me about expansion/performance at different velocity/distance?

It'll work but it wouldn't be my first choice for thin bodied antelope unless you're shooting for bone. If you need a Barnes bullet, the LRX would be a better choice. Fragmentation is a benefit I enjoy when shooting antelope.

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
I've got similar problems. Love to have 1 rifle for hunting to get really good with, but the .300 win mag is too much

Sent from my SM-A215U using Tapatalk

kcm2

WKR
I've shot controlled expansion bullets at pronghorns for decades for that reason. Mostly partitions, accubonds and now the Hornady GMX. Since antelope are small, I do not wish to waste meat on them.

The Hornady ELD-X out of my 6mm Creedmor last year expanded worse than my varmint bullets. It's been replaced with the 90 grain GMX for this year, assuming by some outrageous amount of good luck I draw a license.

Controlled expansion is the way to go for meat hunting.