Antelope bullet

So this year is my second year hunting antelope. Last year I hunted with a 30-06 with a 150 grain bullet I was lucky enough to get a Antelope doe. But the 150 grain bullet put a little bit of a bigger hole then I expected. Does any one have a better bullet for a 30-06 that may not have as hard of a punch but will still put down an antelope.

MThuntr

WKR
A lot of it's about shot placement since an antelope is a thin skinned animal. Just about any bonded or non-lead bullet will hold together better than a thinner jacketed bullet. My preference is towards non-lead bullets and since I'm assuming you don't reload there are plenty of options available for only a couple bucks more per box and lead ammo

ericwh

WKR
In my experience with deer and antelope, if you don't shoot them in the shoulder, Barnes bullets make ~quarter-sized exit holes. Of course, I don't recall much bigger holes with Gamekings or core-lokts if I didn't a rib or something.

I have used the 130 grains barnes TTSX on a doe antelope in my .30-06.

Sled

WKR
i have used 150gr nosler ballistic tips and barnes ttsx 130gr in 270wsm. both worked and didn't destroy meat but i'm a lung shooter. if you like to hit bone then meat is getting lost either way. the ttsx will expand just fine though lungs too.

What 150 bullet did you use?

I shot a doe at 60 yards with a 165 ballistic tip out of my 30-06. It was broadside and had a softball sized exit hole. Though designed for thin skinned game it was too devastating! If I went again, I would use my accubonds in the same weight.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
You'll get the smallest amount of damage with a tougher bullet like a Barnes, or e-tip. Bonded would be next and the most damage will be with non-bonded cup and core.

This is very general though, since it is contingent on shot placement. Hit any bone, and you increase the damage.

The tradeoff is that they will run farther with the tougher bullets, on average. Not always, but more often.

I'd shoot 165gr all copper, or Nosler AB.

Jeremy

OXN939

WKR
So this year is my second year hunting antelope. Last year I hunted with a 30-06 with a 150 grain bullet I was lucky enough to get a Antelope doe. But the 150 grain bullet put a little bit of a bigger hole then I expected. Does any one have a better bullet for a 30-06 that may not have as hard of a punch but will still put down an antelope.

150 grain E Tip, as mentioned above, or 150 grain TTSX would be a solid choice. They don't blow up and mangle smaller animals like antelope as lead core bullets do. I'd pick whichever groups better for you.

rolocasi

FNG
I've used 150 grain federal soft points out of my 30.06 on 4 pronghorn bucks and 3 pronghorn does and have lost little meat. I agree on shot placement being key. Last took a solid neck shot and barely lost anything at all. =). No need for fancy bullets or cartridges.

Gumbo

WKR
Something that doesn't expand is best IME but you want the bullet to miss the quarters entirely and double lung them broadside. I shoot Barnes TSX out of my 25-06 and 7mm.

Rich M

WKR
A regular federal blue box 150 soft point would do little damage and shoot very well. Yes, very vanilla load but they just plain shoot and a rib shot on a speed goat isn't gonna tear up any meat.

I shoot 2 bullets from my 30-06 (home loads) - 150 Nosler partition and 150 gr Sierra ProHunter. Have shot antelope & deer as close as 25 yds and as far as 350 yds with the PH without a lot of meat damage.

IMO, not many reasons to shoot monos for antelope.

OP
Ryan.kemp14
A lot of it's about shot placement since an antelope is a thin skinned animal. Just about any bonded or non-lead bullet will hold together better than a thinner jacketed bullet. My preference is towards non-lead bullets and since I'm assuming you don't reload there are plenty of options available for only a couple bucks more per box and lead ammo
We do reload our bullets

aythya

FNG
To stop a pronghorn without too much meat damage, try a lung shot. I fast expanding bullet works best for me. Tons of damage but little meat loss. They may run more than a shoulder shot but most antelope country is pretty open. Depending on what rifle were shooting, we go with a ballistic tip or ELD-M.

codyj23

FNG
Would a smaller caliber be an option? Trouble with lighter bullets in an .06 is they are cruising. Shot placement is the #1 thing for sure, but a .243 or similar is plenty of juice for a goat IMO.

I've used 150 grain federal soft points out of my 30.06 on 4 pronghorn bucks and 3 pronghorn does and have lost little meat. I agree on shot placement being key. Last took a solid neck shot and barely lost anything at all. =). No need for fancy bullets or cartridges.
Above is 100% correct in my findings. I use the cheapest ammo on the shelf for antelope, and make lung shots. If you use to stiff of a bullet it will pass through and the animal will die bit you will think you shot over it or missed till it falls over in 50 yards. Softer constructed bullets show instant hits and effects from my experience. Ballistic tips and trophy bonded tip are the more "quality" types I have seen used and shown to do a good job if you prefer a streamlined plastic tip on a bullet. John

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MO-ELK

FNG
I'm looking to be going on an out west(from MO) adventure with a antelope, deer & elk tag in my pocket. My 300 win mag is my go to for elk & deee but know totally over kill for the antelope. Hell my only antelope I have killed was with a 270 at 330 yrds & hit a bit high shoulder, was not pretty & hated wasting meat. Guess I'll just try & hit lungs or neck(if not mounting) but anyone recommend maybe bringing a different caliber for the antelope or back up for deer & elk? Have an awesome new proof custom 6.5PRC( but dnt like the idea of leaving it in truck to possibly get stolen. Other option would be wife 243 or old 3030 lever action. Guess ol 3030 would be good for brush & back up that if went MIA would not hurt near as bad...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
I use 150 graing ballistics with 300 WSM for all game from antelope to elk and moose sized game. It's nice having one shell to use for everything so I don't need to adjust from one species to the next. I think angle of shot and amount of bone hit by bullet really determines the size of the hole/holes. If you hit tight behind the shoulder you likely won't ruin any meat or hit any bone other than ribs. If you really want to drop larger sized animals that are often tough to put on the ground a shot through one or both front shoulders will likely work well but ruin meat.

With that said, I've shot antelope just about every year for nearly 50 years and a well placed shot directly behind the shoulders will almost always put them on the ground no matter what type and size of bullet. Thinking back, I can't remember wounding any antelope with a well placed directly behind the shoulder shot. I grew up with a 270 and now use a 300 WSM just because I prefer a larger caliber that I can use for all game.

With long range shooting getting such attention I think the wise and responsible thing to do is to make a great stalk within 250 yards and your antelope will be dead. A lot of guys I've seen antelope hunting that wound antelope are shooting way too long of range! The wind howls in Wyo just about every day. Wind plus long distance shooting doesn't make much sense? Maybe I'm old school because I get a lot of satisfaction out of long stalks with shorter shots rather than long shots and short stalks!