Antelope Decoy Update: Success!

Cowboythunder

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, maybe this should be in the classifieds section but thought it might do better here…

I’m looking for a Flambeau (MAD Commandalope) silhouette pronghorn decoy for an upcoming Colorado muzzleloader hunt. Going to try and decoy one during the rut and can’t seem to find this one in stock anywhere.

If you have one or know of one not being used this season, I would sure appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance!

Flambeau MAD Commandalope
8EA4B2B5-52A7-4E36-AB90-3D28EF70DDC9.png

I hope you’re hunting private, this sounds like a good way to get shot on public land

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Cowboythunder

Cowboythunder

Lil-Rokslider
I hope you’re hunting private, this sounds like a good way to get shot on public land

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It can happen. Will be hunting private but there’s no guarantee of safety there. If someone will shoot at a plastic antelope with two legs, they might not be able to tell the difference between private and public land either.

ToolMann

WKR
Nice work. Finally got the chance to pull the trigger on my muzzleloader with an animal instead of a paper target in my sights. Missed the doe antelope at 190 yards. Need to slow down. Little room for errors at that distance.

OP
Cowboythunder

Cowboythunder

Lil-Rokslider
Nice work. Finally got the chance to pull the trigger on my muzzleloader with an animal instead of a paper target in my sights. Missed the doe antelope at 190 yards. Need to slow down. Little room for errors at that distance.
That’s a long poke! Glad to hear you’re giving it a shot. I have a hard time shooting much past 100 yards with iron sights and my eyesight. The closer the better. Hope you connect with one!

ToolMann

WKR
That’s a long poke! Glad to hear you’re giving it a shot. I have a hard time shooting much past 100 yards with iron sights and my eyesight. The closer the better. Hope you connect with one!
Home now and never fired another round. Got to 206 and 222 yards this morning but wasn't willing to send it. Trying to get in close is a ton of fun though. Wish the doe antelope fell for decoys too.

SDHNTR

WKR
Tell me about the rifle, and the builder. I am a traditional muzzleloader hunter of white tails. Congrats on a fine goat.
Yes, I’d love to know more about that rifle. Looks like a beauty! Congrats on the goat too!

OP
Cowboythunder

Cowboythunder

Lil-Rokslider
Tell me about the rifle, and the builder. I am a traditional muzzleloader hunter of white tails. Congrats on a fine goat.
Yes, I’d love to know more about that rifle. Looks like a beauty! Congrats on the goat too!
Thanks guys. The gun is a vintage Green River Rifle Works Leman Indian trade rifle. It was built by Neill Fields who was one of several of the GRRW gun builders. It has a 30" 1 1/16" barrel and is a .54 cal. I was shooting a .535 ball with an .018" patch over 80 grains of 2F Swiss.

GRRW made this as a direct copy of one of the originals that Leman built for the Indian Bureau. They were used by the U.S. Govt for treaty payments/annuities to Indian tribes and were found on the plains during the 1860/70s.

This one is an interesting rifle in that it has the double set triggers and wood upgrades that were available from the factory.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
Thanks guys. The gun is a vintage Green River Rifle Works Leman Indian trade rifle. It was built by Neil Fields who was one of several of the GRRW gun builders. It has a 30" 1 1/16" barrel and is a .54 cal. I was shooting a .535 ball with an .018" patch over 80 grains of 2F Swiss.

GRRW made this as a direct copy of one of the originals that Leman built for the Indian Bureau. They were used by the U.S. Govt for treaty payments/annuities to Indian tribes and were found on the plains during the 1860/70s.

This one is an interesting rifle in that it has the double set triggers and fancy wood upgrades that were available from the factory.
You win all the cool points! Congrats man!

Nothing like hunting with a real muzzleloader, only problem is the lock is on the wrong side and its a percussion, 😉great looking rifle and a nice goat ya done well pilgrim.