Antelope downright stink!

RCB

WKR
I have yet to kill one so I didn't know. Hope to find out soon. Is that possibly mediated by temperature?

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a buck back in 2015. I grabbed his back legs to load him while wearing gloves. Five years later and probably at least 100 washes later, the gloves still smell...

TheGDog

WKR
Would those of you more experienced say it's bad or good to then later on hunt with your gear on which may still have some of that smell within it?

In the Garage I've been layingout my hunting clothes upon my Mule Deer Pelts. My thought being they'd pick-up dander and protein/epithelial cells from them that should help.

NoWiser

WKR
Would those of you more experienced say it's bad or good to then later on hunt with your gear on which may still have some of that smell within it?

It will make zero difference. If they smell antelope, they've already smelled you.

KHNC

WKR
They dont smell too bad until mid to late september. Then the funk lasts forever. Will make you want to throw it away.

They do stink. My first pronghorn, field care was quick, and on ice quickly.
When I was processing the meat I remember thinking it had a very distinctive smell.
Almost made think it went bad which didn't make sense b/c I had it on ice so quickly.

When I took some meat out to cook, same smell, I was worried the palate was going to follow the nose. Fortunately, the taste is phenomenal!!

Hoping to have that smell on my hands tomorrow.

I agree on the gloves, I have a pair from jeesh, 7-8 years ago that still smell.

saltfork

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah they do have an odor, most really not that bad, just an odor. A blackbuck antelope I killed in Texas had a similar smell. And I agree, javelina absolutely reek! I can look at old photos of some and swear I can smell them lol.

Ace531

FNG
I got my first pronghorn last year, and yeah they definitely have a distinctive odor to them. They must have a kind of oil on their fur or something that seems to stick to whatever it touches, so definitely do not get it on your clothes and keep the hair off the meat.