Antelope Euros

hobbes

WKR
A little European mount work.

Bringing plain water to a nice slow boil for horn removal from the cores.
IMG_20221017_163049025.jpg

IMG_20221017_163059470_HDR.jpg

15 to 20 minutes of this.
IMG_20221017_163853205_HDR.jpg

Sit it between your feet and give a good twist and you get this. Core flesh can now be removed with a little more boiling a knife, and peeling and a pressure washer.
IMG_20221017_170330455.jpg
You may want a beverage or two if it's a nice afternoon and you have several to do.
IMG_20221017_163928567.jpg

IMG_20221017_181200226.jpg

After the horns are removed I would normally add soda ash to the water to assist with removing flesh. I'm out of that so added Oxyclean as seen on YouTube. Both will boil over easy once added. Boil until flesh gets soft, not too long, then take out and put the pressure washer too it. I used a knife to slit length of core then peeeled flesh. It's hot, so is a little tricky. The brain turns to liquid with a pressure washer. These are all three after the majority of flesh, brain, sinuses, etc have been blown off.

IMG_20221017_194935480.jpg

The next day I boiled each for about 15 minutes more in clean water, Oxyclean, and peroxide (40% peroxide from a hair salon).
IMG_20221019_105531248_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221019_112628750.jpg

I'm out of town now but when I get home I will probably brush on some peroxide whitening cream and wrap with plastic wrap overnight before rinsing and using Bondo to attach the horns. (I'll also rinse the horns some.)

I do deer and elk the same way but don't have to worry about horn removal and I just start with the Soda Ash or Oxyclean. I do have to worry about getting too much of the boiling water up on the antlers. It'll remove color from the antlers if they are under very much. You can recolor but it's a pain.

Last edited:
I had a taxidermy shop years ago but that was in IL and I didn't have antelope to work on. Maybe I'll pick it up again some day in retirement.
I think you would have as much work as you wanted really quick. Nice work on the skulls!

WKR
Quick question on the plastic wrap. I use the 40% creme stuff on them and set them in the sun. Does the plastic wrap enhance the whitening process? Always looking for something new.

Couple of the ones you did look like real nice antelope. Good pics and tutorial. I need to add a chilled can to my process.

Last edited:
OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Quick question on the plastic wrap. I use the 40% creme stuff on them and set them in the sun. Does the plastic wrap enhance the whitening process? Always looking for something new.

Couple of the ones you did look like real nice antelope. Good pics and tutorial. I need to add a chilled can to my process.
I don't recall why I've wrapped with plastic after the whitening cream. I think I probably read it on taxidermy net or something and have just done it that way. I usually rinse it afterwards and decide if I need to reapply. They aren't currently quite as white as the last photo makes them look. I probably wouldn't do anything else to the color if they were as white as they appear.

Wyobow1

FNG
I would soak them in a bath of water and peroxide for a week and they will come out perfect. Way less work as well and gets rid of the smell on that “horn” portion of the skull.

dtrkyman

WKR
I have heard boiling is a no go? Simmer ony?

I used that schedule 40 stuff, hair salon solution and got a nice white skull! I did wrap after with saran type wrap.

A taxidermist I know has a micro wave just for pronghorn shealths.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
I have heard boiling is a no go? Simmer ony?

I used that schedule 40 stuff, hair salon solution and got a nice white skull! I did wrap after with saran type wrap.

A taxidermist I know has a micro wave just for pronghorn shealths.
It's not a good idea for a hard boil. I prefer a slow/light boil and haven't had problems. Access to beetles is probably the best but that'll cost you and isn't exactly a diy.

I coated my antelope horns with mop and glo before 5 min epoxy reattach. Was worried it wouldn’t look natural but I really like how it turned out. Whiten my skulls with a mixture of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. Feel it gives a natural not super white finish. Just paint it on let it dry and rinse the next day. More coats you do the whiter the finish.

Jimss

WKR
Great job on the skulls! I’ve never used oxyclean or soda ash but they seem like a great way to go.

One thing I’ve done to speed up the process with hardly any boiling is to put skulls in garbage bags for a while under a trash can. If it’s super cold it doesn’t work but if warm I can pop off the horns in a couple days without boiling.

It’s then possible to either simmer the meat and other stuff off. I’ve always used dawn plus mule train but may give your soda ash/oxyclean a try. Mule train is really good to add because it prevents bugs from showing up in your skulls after done.

I’ve done the same thing with either paste or liquid peroxide to whiten the skull. I’ve coated the skull with paste without bags. It dries quicker but usually do it several times and rinse between coats. The bags may work better and I’ll have to give that a try. The peroxide also helps get rid of smell. If it still smells I’ll spray the skull down with scent killer.

Your skulls look great! Congrats on the nice antelope!

pcassada

Lil-Rokslider
I've done euro mounts on a few skulls now. I have definitely found the key to be simmer with oxyclean to get as much meat off as I can. After simmering for 1-2 hours, I use a pressure washer with a lower power bit so as not to damage the skull. This helps clear out the brain cavity too.

40% peroxide salon cream for bleaching the skull. Mop and glo for the horns with bondo to set them.

Attachments

• IMG_7742.jpg
    IMG_7742.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 43

WKR
I think that would have to help for sure. On warm sunny days mine seem to whiten better and faster.

I boil my skulls with Borax. After a while I hit them with the pressure washer and they are done. I dont like the white look. I like mine natural bone color and the variation in color.

TSAMP

WKR
I boil my skulls with Borax. After a while I hit them with the pressure washer and they are done. I dont like the white look. I like mine natural bone color and the variation in color.
You dont end up scrubbing at all? I simmer and pressure wash but have ended up using a dremmel with a soft wire wheel to clean out the stubborn stuff. It can be messy, but shortens my lead time significantly.

Rich M

WKR
I'm trying to decide if I want to try this or have it done... The skull is a neat display even without the horn sheaths.

I'm scheduled to go this October. Will have a hard time spending the time on my own if I find a weathered skull on side the road or in the field - be easier than doing all the work and just mail it home... Found a big one in 2017 - shoulda kept it.