Antelope hunting in rain & snow

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
Hi,

I'm headed out for my first antelope hunt. Will get in the area Monday afternoon (near Buffalo WY). Its supposed to be raining Monday and then a winter storm of 10-15 inches.

How does this affect their movement? What should I expect?

Thanks!

Legend

WKR
Expect terrible roads and difficult walking. But this can work to your advantage as most people don't venture too far from roads for antelope in those conditions.

As for the antelope it depends on if they are a migratory population or not. Some antelope will group up and make a 100 mile move o ce winter hits. Others stay in the hayfield they were born in and never leave.

manitou1

WKR
I have killed them in both rain and while snowing. Keep in mind, it can be difficult to get a good reading with a rangefinder during a snow storm.
I try to get three good readings when shooting longer ranges and two years ago it took me 18 tries to get a confirmed range on a 621 yd shot.

Jimss

WKR
You may want to bring chains and/or a 4 wheeler. I would definitely bring a shovel. Some of the units around Buffalo turn to gumbo once wet. As mentioned, antelope tend to herd up in larger groups once the rut is over, it snows, and they start congregating for winter. Some antelope tend to move long distances after snow. Cover as much country as possible to find them. Pretty much every antelope I've shot has been under 250 yards. One of the most exciting things about antelope hunting is a great stalk!

OP
Behlftball

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
I'm bringing my atv and have new offroad snow tires, recovery boards and a high jack but no chqins unfortunately

Try and get a hold of the area biologist and get their opinion on how it relates directly to where you will be hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
My main concern would be roads. 4 chains if your truck will allow it, a shovel, come along, and recovery tracks would all be in my essentials.

WCB

WKR
If you can find them before the snow hits mark them. They will most likely be right there when it clears up. Then move or migrate.

Like others mentioned, go to NAPA and get chains for all 4 tires and extra tensioners. It’s cheap insurance in the gumbo.