Antelope hunting Wyoming 113-2 near Kaycee

manitou1

WKR
Yeah kinda figured that. The public county rock/dirt roads or the two track trails? I am trying to figure out which roads are paved and which are rock. I already know that 2 tracks are out of the question and will be waking in a packing out. But it’s gonna be pretty tough to hike into more than 1 spot if we can’t even get off the highway.
Each road has it's own "personality". Two tracks will definitely be a mud pit when wet. Many gravel roads turn to dust/dirt roads, which in turn become mush when wet... especially after a little snow melt. Just take it easy and feel the road out as you go. If in doubt...STOP and go back. Pushing it another 20 yards, especially on a slope may find you sideways in a ditch/canyon.
I was mule deer hunting the last day of archery season this year and while back in there hunting it rained. Hurried back and took my truck from 2-track to gravel. Barely made it up the hill to gravel. Hunted till dark. The gravel road was drivable, but soupy as heck. Had a 1-2" coating of clay on my truck when I got home. Should have went straight to town and washed it. The next day it took $16.00 at the car wash to get all the clay off.

Thanks for the info. I will forsure stay on the careful side. My biggest worry is diving on it when it’s frozen and it thawing before we can get out. But I won’t be stupid. Thanks for all the info guys. Good luck out there.

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
They just shut a bunch of roads down around that area. May be about impossible to even get there with the interstates shut down.

cshire

FNG
Did you get thru? I'm supposed to head that way from missouri today.
I 25 still shut down north of Casper heading towards KC and Buffalo

Maybe tomorrow?

My daughter flew into Denver to drive up and meet us in Buffalo yesterday she is still stuck in Cheyenne waiting for Roads to open

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
Pops and hunting buddy are about 3hrs north of Kaycee (Billings). Roads look to be cleared and open for them all the way to Kaycee. Will be about 17-18hrs non stop driving for them.

Edit: I won’t be joining them until hopefully the 23rd. It’s quarter and year end at my work so I’m slammed until EOD 10/22. Hoping they are still there by then and not all tagged out! Ha

Last edited:

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
What a difference a week makes. Hunted Oct 1-6 and felt like I was hunting in Zimbabwe. High 80's and not a cloud in the sky.