Antelope in warm weather

Howdy,

I'll be hunting an opener in a limited access area where I have access. Doe/fawn tags so I'll likely have the opportunity to take 2 out of the herd at the same time.

I've never taken an animal when the high is in the upper 80s to 90.

If I am skilled and lucky, and get two on the ground together, I'm thinking gut both and put ice in one cavity while breaking down the other. I should be within a mile of the truck over flat (irrigated) ground so grabbing a bag of ice will be a minor inconvenience.

Obviously, early morning success will be a help.

Am I making more out of this than I need to?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If you're a bigger dude, you should be able to gut and cut half the legs off and just pick it up and carry it to the truck. Put in the cooler then go get the other one. Or just drive the truck to the blind and do it all there.

Vegas777

FNG
One to to antelope is obviously to get chilled quick. Frozen 2l bottles seem to work good. I stay away from bags of ice. Get em skinned too prevents mold. Last few times I quartered them. All meat packs down nice in my arb. Head stays in it's own yucky cooler :)

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with long hunter. If your concerned about possible meat spoilage don't shoot 2 at once. Get one down and properly taken care of then go for the second

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
Antelope will spoil fast in the heat, and if not spoiled the meat will loses it’s quality fast if not cooled right away. My biggest concern is to get them gutted and immediately remove their insulating hide.

go_deep

WKR
By the time you walk to the truck and walk back with ice, you can skin, quarter, and debone an Antelope.
I agree with what some else said above, if your that concerned, just shoot one at a time.

DoubleDropMuley

Lil-Rokslider
Yes first thing get them dressed out,I remember one time here in Wyoming it was pretty hot and my dad and I seen a guy waving his hands, so we made are way over to see what was up, well he was from Oregon and had a buck antelope down. He was dragging it with guts still in, he was sweating profusely lol, he showed me where he drug it from it was a long way haha. He asked me what he should do, told him get that thing cleaned out, well he started to try but started heaving and bout to loose his lunch so I grabbed his knife got it gutted for him loaded in my dads truck and took him back to his buddy who was still laying out in the sun behind a cow decoy 😁,

wapitibob

WKR
I packed 2 at one time a few years ago when I was about 60. Gutless into game bags, lash to pack and go.

Everybody should do it once so you know better the next time.

Scorpion

WKR
I hunt deer a lot in warm weather, have killed them in the upper 80’s. Field dress them immediately (or do gutless) and get them on ice quickly. You’ll be fine, don’t overthink it.

Quartering them makes it easy to get them on ice, if you field dress them ensure you have ice to place in the body cavity. Don’t forget to split the pelvis and place ice there, lots of heat gets trapped between the hams.

wytx

WKR
Ice jugs not bags of ice like stated above.
Gut it , quarter it and place the quarters in top of a sage bush etc. Any amount of breeze will start cooling the meat while your packing some back to the truck to coolers. Even in the sum the breeze will start to cool the meat. Get it on ice asap and hide on is ok if you can get it cooled fast. The hide is pretty easy to get off while warm though.