Antelope, sickness?

Hi guys,
A buddy of mine shot an antelope buck that when we started to skin the front quarter the yellow puss liquid which kind of looked like urine leaked out everywhere from the whole quarter. All the fat was this yellow color it was a bit gross. We took it all out and went and talked to fish and game. They had not clue but told us we should toss the front quarters. The rear had a bit of the stuff but not bad. We end up donating the rest of the meat to be safe for us. The processing place took it and we did show them the bad stuff so they knew. Anybody have any ideas what is wrong? I tried googling and did not find anything.

Attachments

• 0CCD2A6A-8AF8-4B94-911A-3DD5B7801439.jpeg
    0CCD2A6A-8AF8-4B94-911A-3DD5B7801439.jpeg
    607.8 KB · Views: 115

bsnedeker

WKR
Just looks/sounds like a sign of a major infection to me. Meat would be fine but might not have the greatest flavor if the animal was under a lot of stress due to this.

OP
L
Thanks for the info. That is what we kind of thought. We were not sure at the time so we made the decision to donate since they would take it. We got 2 others so it’s not a huge deal.

ODB

WKR
Agree with the above. Looks like an infection. Kind of reminds me of jaundice, which is the inability to clear bilirubin from the system. My kid had the at really bad when she was born due to birth trauma.

what did the liver look like?

OP
L
Agree with the above. Looks like an infection. Kind of reminds me of jaundice, which is the inability to clear bilirubin from the system. My kid had the at really bad when she was born due to birth trauma.

what did the liver look like?
We never looked. Did not open it up sorry.

Reactions: ODB

NoWiser

WKR
You said you donated it "to be safe for us." What makes a stranger's safety any less important than yours? Even if safe, I'd be concerned about tainting a larger batch of donated meat, making it all inedible. Honestly, that meat didn't look fit for anyone.

Broomd

WKR
You said you donated it "to be safe for us." What makes a stranger's safety any less important than yours? Even if safe, I'd be concerned about tainting a larger batch of donated meat, making it all inedible. Honestly, that meat didn't look fit for anyone.
Yep, obvious answer.

OP
L
I respect that and two things on it. First I did not know what it was and because of that I left it up to the processing place and fish and game to decide I showed them the picture and all of the quarters and told them what I knew. They tossed the fronts and kept the other meat. Once I give them all of the info I had that decision is off of my hands at that point and on theirs. If somebody wants meat I’m not going to tell them they can’t have it and throw it in the trash.

BUCKELK

FNG
Icterus for sure, could be liver flukes, intestinal parasites, blood borne infection? Did you run its ass off before it expiring? Basically its either bilirubin from a liver issue or something causing lysis of red blood cells. Too late now, but would be cool to drop it off at the state diagnostic lab.

OP
L
Icterus for sure, could be liver flukes, intestinal parasites, blood borne infection? Did you run its ass off before it expiring? Basically its either bilirubin from a liver issue or something causing lysis of red blood cells. Too late now, but would be cool to drop it off at the state diagnostic lab.
Cool thanks for the info. No we came across it laying down and we got ready and it stood up and we shot it. Looking back now him laying down in the middle of the day maybe would show he was sick but we did not even think about that.