Antelope spot and stalk archery tips and tricks

T
For all you spot and stalk guys without a decoy... how the heck do you draw and get a shot without them spooking? I had several opportunities last week when out. But how the heck can you get drawn and up to get a shot on a Lone bedded Buck. Got to under 30 on one, thought he was facing directly away, drew and slowly rose up... well I must have been on the edge of his peripheral vision because he left at 60mph out of his bed.

They have like 340* vision or something insane. Slow as you can.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
How are you guys bringing your bows along on these long stalks? I used to use a longbow but switched to a compound last year. The split limbs, cams, and extra strings are all sagebrush magnets.

How are you guys bringing your bows along on these long stalks? I used to use a longbow but switched to a compound last year. The split limbs, cams, and extra strings are all sagebrush magnets.

Quiver on the ground, pick up, moved 12'', slowly set down, crawl, repeat.

OP
M

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
I never really questioned it. You got to have your bow and you got to crawl through the brush. I don't baby my bow it gets abused. And a side note, your going to get stuck by a cactus. It is what it is. All of those variables make the hunt a hunt

I stalk Antelope in country close to my home. The best country for this where I live is sandhills/sagebrush. Just enough topography and cover with the sage brush to get close enough for shot chances. I have successfully stalked only to blow the shot. I have shot five antelope with my bow, four of these were decoyed. My decoy was homemade about thirty years ago and still works. One of my secrets is my decoy has a smaller "horn'' that is mounted on a bolt so I can be a "doe'' in an instant. This works wonders, every buck will come to check out a doe. I have also found that it works best for a buck decoy to come into antelopes site from behind a hill or bump inside of 100 yds, preferably with the herd between you and the herd buck.