Antelope

How many of you guys hunt antelope with trad gear? I love them but only done it with a rifle. I have two weeks off in September I have allotted for a deer tag, but if I tag out early I was thinking of either otc antelope or otc deer elsewhere. Antelope seems like a long shot for success but high potential for a great time.
Input?

mrolen

Lil-Rokslider
I plan on giving it a go in the future. I think spot and stock success would be very slim but would be fun with lots of opportunities. Ambush or sit in a blind and success rates should be much better.

Steadman

WKR
I have taken three goats spot and stalk. Nothing big horn wise but all good eating. Plus stalking them is a blast.

Attachments

• IMG_20200907_182102_606.jpg
    IMG_20200907_182102_606.jpg
    469.8 KB · Views: 33
OP
C
I have taken three goats spot and stalk. Nothing big horn wise but all good eating. Plus stalking them is a blast.
Thats pretty cool. I imagine you spend quite a bit of time on your belly crawling? Did you shoot him where you took the picture? I always seem to find them quite a ways from cover in a wide open area. Have you ever used decoys? Seems like that could help quite a bit.

elkster

FNG
Was wondering about trying to decoy one into range. I drew a tag and will have time to bow hunt before rifle season starts. Anyone done it?

OP
C
I wonder if a cow would be a better way to go so they're not so intently focused on you? Maybe make a cow decoy from cardboard use it to get close to avoid belly crawling then drop it and hide behind some sage brush til the time is right. It seems like with a buck decoy they'd probably come in facing you? It'd be interesting to hear from someone who's done it.

Many years ago I took one with a compound using a decoy. I got mixed result using decoys. Most times a buck with does will move them away but theres always that chance he'll want to chase you off. The one I shot moved the haram away twice. I was able to get around and in front of their movement in the rolling terrain. Just got my decoy up and they came over the rise. The buck got agitated and came forward to challenge. Staying behind the decoy got me a broadside shot at 35 yds. I also have a Moo Cow decoy that I use for me to move across open terrain when needed. They are really fun to hunt with a bow. Did a lot of stalking with the compound and could get within 75 yds many times, within 50 very few...
I now hunt with traditional bows. Missed one from a blind on a water tank at 25 yds. a few years ago.

Last year was my first year antelope hunting with my recurve, it was amazing! Never connected but had some close encounters and learned a lot. I hunted in October which was spot and stalk only because they weren’t coming to water very often. I will be heading back out this year when it’s hot so I can hunt over water.
9B98BA5F-0AE1-49B4-A786-EB347B9DF3E6.jpeg78E0A9A7-9FF4-4E02-9BD8-CB13C4AA3224.jpeg

Steadman

WKR
Yes it's a fun unit to spot and stalk due to the available cover. But I have spot and stalked in the grasslands in CO and have gotten shots there as well. Decoys can work at times as well. The good thing about s&s is there are usually a lot of goats, so there's lots of opportunities
Thats pretty cool. I imagine you spend quite a bit of time on your belly crawling? Did you shoot him where you took the picture? I always seem to find them quite a ways from cover in a wide open area. Have you ever used decoys? Seems like that could help quite a bit.

OP
C
Yes it's a fun unit to spot and stalk due to the available cover. But I have spot and stalked in the grasslands in CO and have gotten shots there as well. Decoys can work at times as well. The good thing about s&s is there are usually a lot of goats, so there's lots of opportunities
They're a blast with a rifle. Getting one with a stickbow is pretty high on the accomplishment scale.

OP
C
I've shot a bunch of them with a longbow. Some on water from blinds but most recently with decoys and pit blinds. Great fun
I'm assuming you just take a shovel and dig the pit? Ever have a snake join you in there? I used to shoot with a guy that hunted them in CO a bunch in natural sage blinds, he said almost every hunt you'd stand on top of your chair and shoot a snake.

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
How do they react to blinds on water?
I actually just sat in an old water tank tower over water - elevated about 12 feet. It was a bit too tight for my bow but I managed to make it work. Lots of goats on that property so I saw a lot up close.