Anticipated impacts of COVID-19 on hunting this year?

Rmauch20

WKR
I hope fall seasons will be business as usually. The economic impact on fishing&game departments funding could be catastrophic if no residents are not allowed to purchase tags or a 14 day quarantine is required upon arrival. Then we will have to listen to the complaining they have no funding the next year.

Califhuntn

Lil-Rokslider
I want to believe I will be hunting this fall. Too many unknowns. There are 10,000,000 people unemployed as of April 1st. There is no telling what that number will look like by July 1st. It could be triple that number if this pandemic prolongs into summer.

dcooper08

FNG
It will be very interesting to see if and how much of an impact state game departments felt in a year from now. Especially if the virus goes through cycles and surges in the fall...

drlfc

FNG
I’m hoping I can travel to Odess, TX in September for an Aoudad Hunt. First time in my life I traveled out of state and now this virus has to screw it up!

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
Here in Alaska they came down with CLOSED SPRING BEAR HUNTING..........That went over well...........we freaked and within a couple days it was changed to Close Spring bear hunts to people that had to travel into the state to do so, or fly. Basically for guys like me that have a bear stand set up locally we are good to spring bear hunt thank god.

BuzzH

WKR
I hope fall seasons will be business as usually. The economic impact on fishing&game departments funding could be catastrophic if no residents are not allowed to purchase tags or a 14 day quarantine is required upon arrival. Then we will have to listen to the complaining they have no funding the next year.

Lots of ways to mitigate a one year loss in NR license revenue. License revenue makes up about 40% of the GF budget a year, about 80% of that 40% is from NR's fees. Wyoming could sell a boatload of returned or leftover NR licenses to Residents, capturing the PR funding and recoup some of the lost license revenue. Doubt many Residents would complain if they had additional tags...on top of the additional tags we already get.

Wyoming also has a pretty substantial rainy day fund, WWNRT, Lifetime license fund, pooled interest, grants, etc. etc.

Plus, I would suspect that those interested in doing what's best for wildlife, individuals a well as the various NGO's, would step up, like we always have and always do.

It wouldn't be anything close to catastrophic...

fatlander

WKR
Lots of ways to mitigate a one year loss in NR license revenue. License revenue makes up about 40% of the GF budget a year, about 80% of that 40% is from NR's fees. Wyoming could sell a boatload of returned or leftover NR licenses to Residents, capturing the PR funding and recoup some of the lost license revenue. Doubt many Residents would complain if they had additional tags...on top of the additional tags we already get.

Wyoming also has a pretty substantial rainy day fund, WWNRT, Lifetime license fund, pooled interest, grants, etc. etc.

Plus, I would suspect that those interested in doing what's best for wildlife, individuals a well as the various NGO's, would step up, like we always have and always do.

NR general tags cost 12 times as much as a resident.

So if they sold all the tags originally allocated for NR at resident face value, they’d still be losing that additional 1100% of normal revenue.

Also, reallocation of dedicated tags usually requires legislative action. Taking tags deemed for NR by law and selling them to residents would set a precedent that is asking to lose a law suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mtnboy

WKR

So if they sold all the tags originally allocated for NR at resident face value, they’d still be losing that additional 1100% of normal revenue.

Also, reallocation of dedicated tags usually requires legislative action. Taking tags deemed for NR by law and selling them to residents would set a precedent that is asking to lose a law suit.

Idaho lets Residents by a 2nd tag from the Non-Res pool every year for Deer and Elk if we want, we just have to pay the Non-Res price. Why wouldn't that work for Wyoming?

fatlander

WKR
Idaho lets Residents by a 2nd tag from the Non-Res pool every year for Deer and Elk if we want, we just have to pay the Non-Res price. Why wouldn't that work for Wyoming?

Because it’s not codified.

BuzzH

WKR

Wrong. The Statute already exists to give NR tags that aren't drawn to Residents...and vice versa.

Try reading the existing regulations and statutes before you comment. Any NR licenses leftover from the NR draw drop to the Resident drawing. So no additional legislation would be required.

Secondly, in the case of full price pronghorn, some full price deer, and a metric chit ton of type 6 and 7 tags for elk, deer, and pronghorn, NR's are receiving wayyyyyy more than their 20% allocation.

Even further, any tags leftover from the initial and leftover draw, by regulation/statute, go on sale to ANYONE.

Nice try, but there is nothing in the regulations or statutes that assures NR's a single tag...

fatlander

WKR
Its not in Wyoming either...

Where in the Wyoming regs is it codified that a second general elk tag can be sold to a resident at non-resident prices? It’s codified in Idaho.

In Wyoming there is a leftover draw split 70-30 NR-R. If the NR don’t turn their general tags back in on their own accord (praying that Wyoming would actually refund them), there isn’t anything to have a draw about.

There are 7,250 GURANTEED non-resident tags. If those are absolutely revoked prior to legislative action and reallocated to Residents, there will be a law suit.

Last edited:

BuzzH

WKR
Where in the Wyoming regs is it codified that a second general elk tag can be sold to a resident at non-resident prices? It’s codified in Idaho.

In Wyoming there is a leftover draw split 70-30 NR-R. If the NR don’t turn their general tags back in on their own accord (praying that Wyoming would actually refund them), there isn’t anything to have a draw about.

There are 7,250 GURANTEED non-resident tags. If those are absolutely revoked prior to legislative action and reallocated to Residents, there will be a law suit.

Residents don't need to draw general tags, but they can and would take all the LQ bull tags. Also if enough LQ bull tags were to be issued up to the 7250 cap, not a single general NR elk tag would be issued.

There is also no "split" in the leftover draw...

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Residents don't need to draw general tags, but they can and would take all the LQ bull tags. Also if enough LQ bull tags were to be issued up to the 7250 cap, not a single general NR elk tag would be issued.

There is also no "split" in the leftover draw...
@BuzzH they want to know how the residents are going to make budget short fall off not getting any non-resident funds if seasons close. The comparison to Idaho is residents can pay the non resident fee on a second tag so that will lessen the impact on bugets.

The conversations was never, that residents would happily keep all the good tags

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

BuzzH

WKR
Buzz they want to know how the residents are going to make budget short fall off not getting any non-resident funds if seasons close. Not that residents would happily keep all the good tags

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Already been led to water...

Rmauch20

WKR
Take Colorado where 54% of their budget is from tag sales if they have to refund non-resident tags that would be a drastic Hit either way do you want to slice it.

buzz why don’t you to stick with wyoming tag and draw questions you seem to be very weak in basic economics.

Anyway I don’t think we have much to worry about. People are starting to see how full of shit the experts are. Less and less people are abiding by a stay at home orders now As the weather gets nicer all this nonsense will become a non-issue and we will be back to asking for honey holes.

Last edited: