Antique Shotgun

elkdog

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have any idea where I could find the value of a late 1800 early 1900 Belgium double shotgun.
The gun is double trigger and hammerless. I don't know where to start.
Any help is appreciated.

If you live near a cabelas their gun library used to be pretty decent on expensive or rare guns and could get you in the ballpark. Not sure about how they are since the bass pro merger though

OP
E

elkdog

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reply. I'll see what they say.

sodak

FNG
Find a current copy or someone that has a Blue Book of Gun Values by Fjestad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graves14

WKR
I wouldn’t bother with cabelas. I’ve seen them ask $500 for a Stevens and also bought a Fox Sterlingworth Skeet and upland from them for $500. I sold it for $2000.

Asking dogs and doubles is a great idea, also double gun shop.com

I agree with the comments above. Cabelas Gun Library is a crap shoot unless you have a contact there or get someone who cares and is knowledgeable. It seems that most are senior gun counter guys and even then they don't appear to know as much as they should.
Elkdog, I have a current copy of Gun Values book. Feel free to PM me with info and I would be glad to help you out where I can. I will say that most of the shotguns in the classification you describe rarely hold a lot of monetary value. Unless it has a sought after name, markings etc. the most you can hope for is to find a collector of that particular gun and sell for a fair price. Furthermore, I am guessing that it has Damascus barrels and those are questionable to shoot until you have it checked by a competent gunsmith AND you use some lighter loads. With that said, if it has sentimental value at all, it will probably be more than the price you can sell it for.

OP
E

elkdog

Lil-Rokslider
Here are some pics. I apologize up front for the photo quality:IMG_0269.jpgIMG_0273.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0277.jpg
    IMG_0277.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 26
Very pretty! Unfortunately I'm not going to be too much help. That said, I think it's a German guild gun of some sort, and I think it's a little newer than you might think - maybe more like 1920s-1930s. It might take a bit of digging to get much info - probably not a lot out there and even fewer on this side of the pond. How are the bores - any pitting?

KClark

WKR
The crowned egg with ELG inside means it was made in Liege, Belgium. At that time they were turning out lots of 'hardware store specials' of low to mid quality but yours appears to be a well made high grade gun. Please let us know what you find out about it.

OP
E

elkdog

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the reply's. I'll let you know what I find out.

Talk to Kirby Hoyt at vintage doubles in WA.
His specialty is double guns and he could give you a better honest representation of value than just about anyone else out there today.

Forget Cabela’s. All they do is go in the back and look at guns international. There’s almost nobody left in that chain who has any real knowledge.

OP
E

elkdog

Lil-Rokslider
Talk to Kirby Hoyt at vintage doubles in WA.
His specialty is double guns and he could give you a better honest representation of value than just about anyone else out there today.

Forget Cabela’s. All they do is go in the back and look at guns international. There’s almost nobody left in that chain who has any real knowledge.
Thanks I'll give him a call tomorrow.