Antler growth???

Do some deer grow fast than pitter off towards September?

In reverse do some deer slow grow then gain a bunch into August?

I have a crop of close to 15 deer at the moment on my radar for my hunt and 2 friends hunts and obviously there is some varying in size among them. Same general region and the deer almost all have the same patterns and feed. But I have a outlier, the rest seem to be doing the normal at ears wide or wider and growing g2s and forking. Well the one in particular buck has stayed just inside ears and is tall and has deep forks all around already.

Is he gonna be a monster or is he just gonna slow down on growth wile everyone else catches up?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Block

WKR
Last year I had my heart set on the buck on the right ,,, this photo was a month b4 archery opener. Come opening day the buck on the left had caught up and looked more impressive. Some drop late Feb, some early April and I think that is why some finish up late...

Attachments

• 2007EFCE-7CD1-4A43-B9EA-269E49DA5224.jpeg
    2007EFCE-7CD1-4A43-B9EA-269E49DA5224.jpeg
    451.2 KB · Views: 129
  • EB40501D-E11D-4A58-A15B-1964357B0536.jpeg
    EB40501D-E11D-4A58-A15B-1964357B0536.jpeg
    806.5 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
I wish I knew how much they will continue to grow.

Probably too many variables say.

street

WKR
I've heard J. Carter say he has seen deer grow 10 to 20 inches in a week in early to mid August. Seems to be a lot of variables that dictate their growth.

Fatcamp

WKR
I've heard J. Carter say he has seen deer grow 10 to 20 inches in a week in early to mid August. Seems to be a lot of variables that dictate their growth.

Really. That would be awesome. Forage isn't as good this year as last where I am scouting, but they have plenty, and good water.

Rizzy

WKR
The late summer antler growth may stop when the high country gets its first frost, which is regional. It seems to generally be mid to late august around here. That variability would equate to more days of better forage on some years.

Huntnnw

WKR
I wouldnt bank on much growth after the first week of August on mature bucks. The process of the antler hardening isnt overnight and once that begins there is no more growing. Once tines look pointed they are not growing anymore.

Fatcamp

WKR
I am far from high country. Mid-September last year they still looked soft and round.

KineKilla

WKR
Saw a group of bucks this weekend that had some good growth, some that were going to finish up to be very respectable. I don't think they had a ton of growing left to do but enough....

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
A week ago. Unit 11m Az.

Attachments

• Resized_20200705_174653.jpg
    Resized_20200705_174653.jpg
    521.4 KB · Views: 62

money

FNG
IMG_2847.jpg
so how about this buck then? This picture was taken 7/13/20 in a new mexico high desert unit known for big deer. he's obviously not done growing but does he still have a month left of growing? This buck could end up being super special if he's got another month to go.

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
I would say that buck isn’t done growing, but hard to say how much. I definitely wouldn’t plan on him adding any new points or forks though, will just add onto what is already there.

money

FNG
I would say that buck isn’t done growing, but hard to say how much. I definitely wouldn’t plan on him adding any new points or forks though, will just add onto what is already there.
yeah he won't add any points i'm sure. I just wonder how much longer he has to add tine length. he's already a stud. but if he grows for another month he could be a giant 3 point. regardless of how he turns out i'm in love with his look so i'm all in on the guy unless I turn up something really special elsewhere.

Huntnnw

WKR
buck isnt done growing. but like mentioned above dont expect anything extra. Once those tips turn pointed its done growing on that point

Last edited:

IdahoHntr

WKR
In my opinion too many people try to put too many rules on animals. Every deer is different and can do different things from year to year. In the same area, same year, I've seen bucks that were basically done growing end of July and rubbed their velvet mid-August, while other bucks put on quite a few inches in August and were still in velvet my last day of chasing them mid-September.

That doesn't change the fact that the majority of the deer I see finish growing early to mid-August and rub around the 1st of September, but I always see a few every year that break that mold both directions.

As was mentioned, when the points start to look less round and more pointy they are usually hardening out and about done, but even then I've been surprised to seem some deer still put on some decent inches after I thought they were done.