Antler growth

How many inches can you expect a bucks antlers to grow in one year? That being middle age bucks before their prime. Where I hunt, we saw a lot of younger 150-160 bucks last year. If we happen to find those same bucks again this year what would they be? 160-170? Thanks for the input.

Rizzy

WKR
I haven't been able to see the same Buck year after year yet, so I can't say for sure. The 150-160 class buck seems to be the average size of a nice mature Buck. Anything bigger is starting to be heavily dependent on genetics and nutrition, assuming they live long enough. I don't know if there is a general consistent amount of growth from year to year. What area are you inquiring about?

OP
G
I haven't been able to see the same Buck year after year yet, so I can't say for sure. The 150-160 class buck seems to be the average size of a nice mature Buck. Anything bigger is starting to be heavily dependent on genetics and nutrition, assuming they live long enough. I don't know if there is a general consistent amount of growth from year to year. What area are you inquiring about?

This is in Montana. The genetics are here in this area. We have killed some 180 bucks in the same area. Just noticed a lot of 160ish deer last year. So you think that it's mostly genetics that limits most deer to under 160? I guess I always figured that genetics were important, but that the bucks usually just don't live long enough to reach that 180 mark (given that genetics are at least not really bad. I.e. missing forks etc.). Maybe someone with more experience or someone who watches the same deer every year on the winter range every year can chime in with more info.

Hardstalk

WKR
Not only genetics but water. Habitat and nutrients from lack of water can limit bucks from year to year as well i believe.

OP
G
Ok let me rephrase the question. Given solid genetics and an average precipitation/nutrition year what would a young 150-160 buck be expected to gain in a year? Or are there just to many variables to put an average number to it?

Last edited:

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like stated before.....a lot of things come into play; moisture, forage condition and growth, genetics, weather, how hard was the rut? what is the doe to buck ratio, etc...

If it isn't a harsh winter and the forage is good with good moisture I have seen bucks put on as much as 20" in one year! Mostly you can expect anywhere from 8" to 12". At least that is what I have seen. It will vary from area to area.