Antler Restoration

Arteman

FNG
Any shed hunters on the site ever mess around with trying to bring color back to their whites? Thinking about giving it a try, but don't want to mess it up. Might order some Wild Antler Magic, anybody ever use it before? Any tips would help, thanks.

Antler

FNG
A long time ago I did a set of whites with strong black Coffee. It worked pretty well but someone stole them so I have no idea how long the color lasted.

lewy

FNG
i played around with a few useing wood stain, it took a few sheds to get it right but finally came up with a good technique. heres a few pics of the process

Attachments

• P1020264.JPG
    P1020264.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 13
  • P1020268.jpg
    P1020268.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 13
  • P1020272.jpg
    P1020272.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 15
OP
Arteman

Arteman

FNG
Thanks for the tips guys, I've heard of the coffee trick before and guess its the same concept as using potting soil, ill have to try them both out. Lewy, what brand stain do you use, looks good. Also what stuff works best to seal them?

lewy

FNG
That was minwax, I picked up a few different colors of stains in 8 oz. cans and did a little mixing. Like i said it took a few tries on sheds to get it to look right, so dont start with ur good ones! Add a coat, then wipe some off. As you can see I wiped the spots a buck would rub the most and left the low spots dark to make it look as natural as I could. Im by no means a pro, just messed around with it a little bit, lookin forward to trying some off these other tactics as well.......

TxCazador

FNG
That was minwax, I picked up a few different colors of stains in 8 oz. cans and did a little mixing. Like i said it took a few tries on sheds to get it to look right, so dont start with ur good ones! Add a coat, then wipe some off. As you can see I wiped the spots a buck would rub the most and left the low spots dark to make it look as natural as I could. Im by no means a pro, just messed around with it a little bit, lookin forward to trying some off these other tactics as well.......

x2 on the Minwax stain. Works great and looks very natural. Go with a medium brown color like Provincial. Start light and work up to the darkness you want. Heavier at the bases to less toward the tips.

B

bearguide

i wipe them down with blood from game meet, then rub them in dark dirt