Antlerless Moose Tag

fastaedna

FNG
Was out archery season and had a cow moose with a calf within 20 yards, but with lots of season left, I opted to pass, hoping to find a dry cow. Lots of season has been and gone and rifle season is around the corner. Question is...do you take the cow, the calf or let them walk again? They may be long gone, but on the chance they are still there...It is quite possibly my last crack at meat for the freezer. Calf is way bigger then any whitetail, or muley, but it’s a calf. Calf on left with young spike bull. Does calf survive without mom? Or take the tasty eats of a young moose? AC0F8700-80D2-4A09-A986-9B98532580F0.png

Last edited:
Never pass up a shot today that you’d be happy with at end of season. So yeah, I’d have shot either.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
Never pass up a shot today that you’d be happy with at end of season. So yeah, I’d have shot either.
+1
g.png

VernAK

WKR
Our limited antlerless moose hunts are for a cow not accompanied by calf. Most hunters try to comply.

Our calves yield <100 pounds boneless meat typically.

OP
F

fastaedna

FNG
Our regs have it open for either, but I too would prefer to get a cow without a calf, hence passing. I still don’t regret that decision, but this may give me the opportunity for some hindsight ahead of time and other hunters thoughts/perspectives.

VernAK

WKR
Our regs have it open for either, but I too would prefer to get a cow without a calf, hence passing. I still don’t regret that decision, but this may give me the opportunity for some hindsight ahead of time and other hunters thoughts/perspectives.

You did the right thing.....sleep well with your choice!