Antlerman

Yesterday the wife and I took a drive with some friends over to Three Forks (MT) to visit with Jim Phillips (aka Antlerman). Jim has been collecting sheds since he was a kid in the late 1950s and has over 16K in his shop. I heard about him from Meateater podcast episode 226 (summer 2020). An email and a date to set for visit was all it took. Jim said anyone who wants to see the collection is always welcome to stop by. Moose, Elk, Deer, and even old Montana Bison and Caribou antlers of various shapes and sizes in the collection, as well as some interesting skulls and antlers damaged from disease, fights, and healed gunshots. Hit him up if you are in the area...it’s fascinating...and free. His website is... Antlerman.com.

6EC3358C-8662-4D93-86E6-16229E8B3456.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Milestone522
I told my wife it would have made an interesting crime scene for a movie, but that is just the retired detective in me.

In mass it looks overwhelming, but when the owner can show you progression sets from one buck, and then identical sets from their offspring, the antlers quickly become individual stories on a large scale...

Jimbob

WKR
At first glance, it looks like some kind of mass grave so I get the creepy aspect.

But like you said the stories that go with the antlers brings life to all of that.

It was cool listening to him on the podcast and hearing how much he remembers from all of the different antlers. Sadly so much of what makes that collection great is connected with the owner, when he goes the collection wont be the same.

rhill

FNG
Wow, I'm usually excited to find one shed when I'm out hiking. This guy must spend a lot of time shed hunting.