Anvil/tripod questions?

coues32

WKR
Looking to jump in to tripod shooting.
Kinda confused on what setup I want.
Sold on the Anvil and think I should be able to glass well, might rig a panning setup for binos/ btx. Glassing 90% of the time.

Is the only downside of having a centerpost not being able to get low enough? I do not see shooting with center post elevated. Will the 14 setup w/ post be good enough to shoot off of or is 24L setup a better choice?

ofl0926

WKR
I’ve been wanting to get a get tripod setup for shooting and glassing as well. My understanding is the center post makes the rifle a bit more unstable. From my reading, it’s better not to have a center post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

coues32

WKR
Also is there another good option for legs/ head besides the 24L/ anvil because of not being available?

Even without the center post extended, you're still raising the pivot point higher above the apex of the legs which makes it less stable to shoot off of. Similarly, the anvil 30 is less stable than a leveling base sitting in the apex. All a compromise.

Edit to add: I'm not a big fan of glassing with my 24L + Anvil. The anvil is basically locked or it's free. It's very hard to find a spot with minimal resistance to support the spotter/nockers that would still allow anything but very crude adjustments. Yes it works but gets annoying quick if you're used to a decent pan head or even cheap typical ball heads IMO.

Last edited:
OP
C

coues32

WKR
24 with anvil

34L with anvil
I think if I'm going to spend that much money, I would want the 24L.

Have you used the two vets Kit setup, seems like it is comparable to the 24L?

OP
C

coues32

WKR
Even without the center post extended, you're still raising the pivot point higher above the apex of the legs which makes it less stable to shoot off of. Similarly, the anvil 30 is less stable than a leveling base sitting in the apex. All a compromise.
I think I am set on no center post now, have used one for 20+ years just for glassing.

I think I am set on no center post now, have used one for 20+ years just for glassing.

No denying they are convenient for glassing and that is another reason I'm not big on glassing with my 24L+anvil setup.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’d classify the 14 as a kneeling and lower tripod when it comes to shooting. Glassing standing can’t be done as well either.

I have no issue glassing with the anvil.

I have a hard time choosing between the 14 and 24L. The 24L will be a significantly easier to learn on platform though. But like any other gear we carry it’s all a trade off. The 24L is big.

FF8A2BCF-047B-41CA-8BAD-C7A9093272E1.jpeg

ofl0926

WKR
So here is a question for the masses

Being 5’6, wanting to shoot of my tripod and glass, which model would you recommend?

OP
C

coues32

WKR
I'm a big fan of my 24L, and I think it's worth getting on a wait list (or maybe even backordering somewhere).

I have not had the Kit from Two Vets. But I'll say that part of the appeal of the anvil is that it can be integrated into the legs. Just screwing an anvil to any tripod won't get the full benefit. I'm not saying don't go that route, just something to consider.

I've said this before, but the anvil is ideal to shoot from, I've grown to really like it for glassing with binos, and it's workable but not great for a spotter. Depending on your preferences, a panning clamp might help bridge the gap for you when using a spotter.
Appreciate the info, I might rig a panner attachment to ease the pain. Will run a btx set up on there also

seand

Lil-Rokslider
So here is a question for the masses

Being 5’6, wanting to shoot of my tripod and glass, which model would you recommend?

The 33 is the same weight and stiffer than the 24L. Just a little bit longer collapsed.

Lawnboi

WKR
Besides weight, keep an eye on collapsed length if your carrying it on your back.

I use a pack with a 24” frame and 2 more inches on my 24L would mean it’s staying home and my ascend is coming with. Those 3 section tripods get long. Even the 24L is at the max to not have a bunch of tripod sticking over my pack.

Something to keep in mind.

I’m 5’6. If your shooting in terrain just get the long legs.

ofl0926

WKR
Besides weight, keep an eye on collapsed length if your carrying it on your back.

I use a pack with a 24” frame and 2 more inches on my 24L would mean it’s staying home and my ascend is coming with. Those 3 section tripods get long. Even the 24L is at the max to not have a bunch of tripod sticking over my pack.

Something to keep in mind.

I’m 5’6. If your shooting in terrain just get the long legs.

Good to know. The stone glacier is 26in so I’ll look into it.
5’6 here as well

mthayr

WKR
If you're not set on spending a mortgage payment on your tripod you might want to look into the Leofoto SA-324C+MA-30 and Leofoto PAN-02 which will do everything you're looking for at a 1/3rd of the price... and its immediately available (eBay and others). Just my $0.02 (and worth about that)

OP
C

coues32

WKR
Thanks for the info guys.
After talking with Michael at RRS I ordered a 24L and a BH40 SOAR head with the same Arca/pic attachment as the Anvil.

Will update when they show up.

Jakelly

FNG
I’m facing the same decision. I’ll start my own thread with my specific questions, but, yeah, picking a really right stuff tripod isn’t as straightforward as you’d think.

KHNC

WKR
I’m facing the same decision. I’ll start my own thread with my specific questions, but, yeah, picking a really right stuff tripod isn’t as straightforward as you’d think.
Definitely not. I have a CF Vanguard right now with a center post. Got a ball head to shoot of it. Now that ive heard about RRS and Anvil, i cant believe the cost!! Dont have much more in my rifle minus the scope. lol

BigVick04

FNG
Great build and not too heavy.
For glassing 95% of the time and shooting when needed, the ball head is a easy choice for my hunting.
Too busy with work to get to use it, very little field use so far
Nice, I’ve been watching some on eBay and there’s some 34L’s on there, but I think the tfc 33 with a bh40 would be the sweet spot for me, should cover everything from prone-standing and it’s only half an oz heavier than the 24L and should be quite bit more stable. The only downside being it’s going to be like 28.75” long with the head on it but I think that’ll be worth the added stability.