Any 2 mile runners here

Thats blazing fast! I agree intervals all day. Something like 4x800m with 2 min rest between. or 8x400m. But rest/recovery is key in any sport. I've turned into a distance trail runner andIve learned recovery is more important that the actual work. Id recommend 3 days on and 1 off. Good luck! there are plenty of running programs you can find online, or inexpensive running coaches that'll do all his programming through a training app. The good coaches will be super involved and program based on progression based off his previous times.

Fatcamp

WKR
So in anticipation of cross country in the Fall we have our 12 yo son competing in a local track and field meet. Ran the 400 last week and the 800 today. Very cool to see how proud he is to finish these runs in front of a crowd. Next week he will run the 1600 for the first time. Kinda nervous about that one, but he committed to it so here we go. 😀

OP
KsRancher

KsRancher

WKR
So in anticipation of cross country in the Fall we have our 12 yo son competing in a local track and field meet. Ran the 400 last week and the 800 today. Very cool to see how proud he is to finish these runs in front of a crowd. Next week he will run the 1600 for the first time. Kinda nervous about that one, but he committed to it so here we go. 😀
Report back if you would. I never was interested in running until my oldest son started. But he ran himself into a calf injury 2 weeks ago by not taking any rest days. He is 2 weeks into it and still walks with a bad gimp.

Fatcamp

WKR
Report back if you would. I never was interested in running until my oldest son started. But he ran himself into a calf injury 2 weeks ago by not taking any rest days. He is 2 weeks into it and still walks with a bad gimp.

Will do. We are taking it very easy. Minimal training and just using these races as a feeling out process.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
I just started running every morning to get in shape for hunting season. I felt pretty good about a 12 minute mile on Thursday. Reading this thread totally burst my bubble!!! Congrats, even when I was in good shape I couldn’t run a 12 minute two mile that’s awesome.

Fatcamp

WKR
My son ran his first mile in competition. 8:35 with almost no training. Very proud of him but more importantly he is proud of himself.

Great run for sure. I was in a high end Army outfit, and our PT tests were two miles. I broke into the mid 11s several times. There were some runners for sure. I remember one test we had a guy, must have been around 150 lbs, but his legs were straight built, wire up top. He was in the mid 10s. Crazy fast when you consider you're pulling out mid 11s and can't hang with a guy like that.

Run forest run is all I got. My lowest runs were always when I ran a lot, against fast guys leading up to our tests. Your son's last run is moving for sure!

Hooverfb

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure he takes his recovery for his calf seriously. I hated doing my stretches and such anytime I had recovery for an injury. Now all my muscles work further than my achilles/calf will ever allow. If I hurt it, it takes months of recovery now. Havent had to get surgery luckily, but if I'm not careful I know it's coming.

ILIKEBEARS

Lil-Rokslider
That boy sounds like a killer. Weighted barbell squats with great technique are going to develop the speed and power he needs to up his max average speed.

OP
KsRancher

KsRancher

WKR
Cool to see.this thread come back up. We made him sit out for a full six weeks with nothing over a walk. He is almost back 6 weeks running again. First cross country meet tomorrow. He has never ran a cross country meet before. So it shall be interesting. He seems to be running pretty good. Might be an eye opener for him though. He is running varsity as a freshman and I have been telling him that he will be running against almost grown men(seniors). Hopefully he does decent

Fatcamp

WKR
My little guy is attending cross country practice. Seems to enjoy it. First meet in a week.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I was always slow as chit but I could forever lol. I remember when I was in basic training, there was a Native American kid, last name was Whitebull. He ran the 2 mile PT test run in 9 minutes and change, nobody could touch him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vaultman

WKR
Cool to see.this thread come back up. We made him sit out for a full six weeks with nothing over a walk. He is almost back 6 weeks running again. First cross country meet tomorrow. He has never ran a cross country meet before. So it shall be interesting. He seems to be running pretty good. Might be an eye opener for him though. He is running varsity as a freshman and I have been telling him that he will be running against almost grown men(seniors). Hopefully he does decent
Hope it goes well. I'd be interested in how he does, if you are ok to share.

OP
KsRancher

KsRancher

WKR
Shortened the race to 2 miles due to weather. 109 people running and they ran the girls and boys together to try and get done before rain. Fired the gun off. He was around 40th at the bottleneck, 23rd by half mile, 17th by the mile and 14th by 1.25miles. Then lightning hit, so they shut the race off at 1.25 miles. Waited on storms for 1hr. Line them up to start again. Gun goes off, he crosses the bottleneck around 30th, 22nd or 23rd at half mile, 17th at 1mile, and finished 14th place with a time of 12:11. First place came across at 10:24. He was pretty happy with 14th on his first run. Times were slow on this course with how mean thr hills were.

G2400

FNG
I agree with the above. Seek out a legit college level (minimum) coach for guidance. He will definitely to start working on specific interval work with varying distances and rest times. He will also want to dedicate time in the gym with lower body and mobility work.

Fatcamp

WKR
My son ran his first CC event today. 1.8 miles in 16:42. By far the longest he has run. Never walked. Finished strong and was very proud of himself.

Blacktailaddiction

Lil-Rokslider
Cool thread and that’s awesome fat camp. I don’t run long distance but I swim which has a lot of similarity’s to running. I agree coaching is huge I switched just from a high school coach to a coach who coached a Olympic team and it changed everything. Dropping intervals down progressively does wonders as well and teaches you to pace. Good luck to him!

Last edited: