Any 264wm guys out there?

OP
Hardstalk

Hardstalk

WKR
100 rounds later I think the load is dialed. 200yds 15 mph crosswind. Thank god the barrel isn't blown out that was my biggest fear. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376096047.323384.jpg
5 shot group.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376433231.509716.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376433314.463528.jpg

My 263win mag. Custom made by a local gent. Tiger maple stock (hand carved). Interarms action, Timney trigger, Mcmillian barrel and Ziess scope.

I have a .260 Remington I plan to use to hunt whatever I don't get with my bow this year. Gonna shoot 130 grain Swift Scirocco II's.

OP
Hardstalk

Hardstalk

WKR
Almost done load testing. Got rained out.
yqaru6u4.jpg
5 shot group 100 yds.

I was with a buddy early spring who set up a new model 70 in 264 wm, he's an accuracy obsessed guy who uses 6 dashers for coyotes, has shot f-class etc. and sometimes buys new rifles just for a tag he drew so usually goes through several builds a year and sells and keeps going but looks like he's going to hang onto his .264 for longer than just bear season. He tested 140 bergers against the a-max and the a-max was the winner around 3200 fps or a little higher, in the 1/2 to 3/4 moa range worst case easily. It dusted a nice bear too. I watched all the load development through the spotter and also the bear kill. The private range he is a member of has little shop where reloaders go in and build more rounds right on site for development, so we went in a few times to load some more and once the 100 yard work was done (couple hours) then quickly zero'd 200m gong and found the drops for the 300, 400, 500m gongs and it was one to two shots at most for each distance and that rifle was completely set up in half day but as mentioned he goes through several a year. Still, what a ballistic machine with 140 a-max at 3200 plus. Rifle was at his smith for bedding/crowning/trigger and a brake but otherwise stock 70 with skinny 26" tube, wood/blued. We took test shot bear hunting at 575 yards and he landed exactly 3" to right of point of aim due to wind, I took the first test shot with my blaser k95 in .270 and said don't hold for wind, I held too much as it was gusting hard mostly into our face with some left to right, and I said at most there will be 3" of wind after my test shot. Sure enough. I held more thinking my .270 with factory 140 federal accubonds would get pushed further by the wind but it was about the same. Both our shots were easy kills on our imaginary 600 lb bear mid day bored waiting for the evening hunt. Him prone over bipod with modded 70 and handloaded 264 dialed up to exactly 575, me laying over t2 pack with stock blaser and factory ammo and lr duplex reticle holding my 550 yrd aimpoint a little high for the 575yrd test shot. Good times, great rifles and cartridges imo. That 264 will really shine past 600!

I can get load data if anyone interested.

OP
Hardstalk

Hardstalk

WKR
I was with a buddy early spring who set up a new model 70 in 264 wm, he's an accuracy obsessed guy who uses 6 dashers for coyotes, has shot f-class etc. and sometimes buys new rifles just for a tag he drew so usually goes through several builds a year and sells and keeps going but looks like he's going to hang onto his .264 for longer than just bear season. He tested 140 bergers against the a-max and the a-max was the winner around 3200 fps or a little higher, in the 1/2 to 3/4 moa range worst case easily. It dusted a nice bear too. I watched all the load development through the spotter and also the bear kill. The private range he is a member of has little shop where reloaders go in and build more rounds right on site for development, so we went in a few times to load some more and once the 100 yard work was done (couple hours) then quickly zero'd 200m gong and found the drops for the 300, 400, 500m gongs and it was one to two shots at most for each distance and that rifle was completely set up in half day but as mentioned he goes through several a year. Still, what a ballistic machine with 140 a-max at 3200 plus. Rifle was at his smith for bedding/crowning/trigger and a brake but otherwise stock 70 with skinny 26" tube, wood/blued. We took test shot bear hunting at 575 yards and he landed exactly 3" to right of point of aim due to wind, I took the first test shot with my blaser k95 in .270 and said don't hold for wind, I held too much as it was gusting hard mostly into our face with some left to right, and I said at most there will be 3" of wind after my test shot. Sure enough. I held more thinking my .270 with factory 140 federal accubonds would get pushed further by the wind but it was about the same. Both our shots were easy kills on our imaginary 600 lb bear mid day bored waiting for the evening hunt. Him prone over bipod with modded 70 and handloaded 264 dialed up to exactly 575, me laying over t2 pack with stock blaser and factory ammo and lr duplex reticle holding my 550 yrd aimpoint a little high for the 575yrd test shot. Good times, great rifles and cartridges imo. That 264 will really shine past 600!

I can get load data if anyone interested.

For some reason this gun is really liking the 130 @ 60.5 of reloader 22. And really not agreeing with the 140's here is a list of the loads we played with. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377007827.657716.jpg the 140's opened right up. I was really hoping they would work better. My buddy bought a couple hundred of the 140's hoping he could use them in his creedmore but it wasn't a fan. And he offered to give them to me if they worked out. The happy load that day was the 130 scirocco 2. Of course the most expensive pill I could find...

OP
Hardstalk

Hardstalk

WKR
Those 130 Sciroccos are good bullets. That is what my brother is shooting out of his .260 Remington.

That pic was the first load we tested with those. I was ready to wrap up the benches and head home! My buddy wanted to keep testing though. This is the best we got from the sierra game king 130's @ 60.5.View attachment 9814

OP
Hardstalk

Hardstalk

WKR
I think the flyer in each group is me. Thats the first time I have been behind a rifle in 3 years

For some reason this gun is really liking the 130 @ 60.5 of reloader 22. And really not agreeing with the 140's here is a list of the loads we played with. View attachment 9799 the 140's opened right up. I was really hoping they would work better. My buddy bought a couple hundred of the 140's hoping he could use them in his creedmore but it wasn't a fan. And he offered to give them to me if they worked out. The happy load that day was the 130 scirocco 2. Of course the most expensive pill I could find...

I'll get his recipe and post for the archives :)

Drdantdc

FNG
I shoot a T/C Arms Encore rifle. I have 8 barrels. One of them is a Christensen Arms in 264. It is a great, underrated caliber. It is every bit the 6.5x284, but it gets all the press. Just my opinion.