Any A&P mechanics? I'm a Canadian AME and would like to work in the USA

KBC

WKR
For reasons we don't need to discuss (political wink wink) I want to expand my options. I'm a helicopter mechanic with about 10 years working experience mostly on AS350 B to B3e/H125 but also some other aircraft.

I have spent some time working in the USA mostly on LE aircraft but my L1 visa expired last May. Most of the awesome people I met seemed to think it would be relatively easy for me to get a job in the USA with my experience and training.

I'd like to get an A&P license and start the process of finding work with a possible end goal of moving my family to the USA.

Anyone out there have any advice? I have a few tips and contacts from a DER I've worked with recently but would appreciate any other info any of you can provide.

Thanks!

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
For reasons we don't need to discuss (political wink wink) I want to expand my options. I'm a helicopter mechanic with about 10 years working experience mostly on AS350 B to B3e/H125 but also some other aircraft.

I have spent some time working in the USA mostly on LE aircraft but my L1 visa expired last May. Most of the awesome people I met seemed to think it would be relatively easy for me to get a job in the USA with my experience and training.

I'd like to get an A&P license and start the process of finding work with a possible end goal of moving my family to the USA.

Anyone out there have any advice? I have a few tips and contacts from a DER I've worked with recently but would appreciate any other info any of you can provide.

Thanks!

Go to the Boeing website and search jobs. We are hiring like crazy right now.

gbflyer

WKR
There’s no shortage of work for an A&P in Alaska either. No idea what the crossover requirements are like. I think the Canadians do a better job of training their AC mechanics. From what I have seen it’s viewed more as a profession than a job there. I suspect you’ll do great.

Paradox

FNG
You are an AME? Aviation medical examiner? WTH does that have to do with a & p?
for the record there is a shortage of aviation mechanics here, not sure about rotary wing. If you have any avionics experience you can name your price.

OP
K

KBC

WKR
You are an AME? Aviation medical examiner? WTH does that have to do with a & p?
for the record there is a shortage of aviation mechanics here, not sure about rotary wing. If you have any avionics experience you can name your price.
I'm an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer officially but in reality I'm just coverall filler ;) I can stumble my way through some avionics tasks but could use a bit more experience in it

There’s no shortage of work for an A&P in Alaska either. No idea what the crossover requirements are like. I think the Canadians do a better job of training their AC mechanics. From what I have seen it’s viewed more as a profession than a job there. I suspect you’ll do great.

Alaska would be awesome and probably the easiest place to convince my wife to move. I've been there once for work and another time on a family vacation. Ideally right now I'd like to find something on a rotation like 3 weeks on and 3 weeks off so my family and I could still live in Canada for the time being.

I think the difference between Canadian and American licenses is the inspector license. I've heard you need 4 years as an A&P to get your inspector license? Is that correct? As soon as you have an endorsement here your company can give you an Aircraft Certification Authority (ACA). For example I did an AS350 type course as an apprentice. The week I wrote my final exam and got my licence my work gave me my ACA.

Thanks for the replies so far!

OP
K

KBC

WKR
I'm also curious what the current salaries are like. For reference I work at a heavy maintenance facility so my typical job is complete teardown, inspection and reassembly. Mostly AS350 144 month inspections. It seems like up here the touring guys do a bit better money-wise.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
You are an AME? WTH does that have to do with a & p?
Super helpful....

KBC has been around a long time, and hopefully, if you stick around new guy, you will see that this community is generally positive and willingly helpful.

I am clearly not near as intelligent as you, but, could it be remotely possible, that a 3 letter acronym could have just one other meaning?

I totally hear my grandma in the background.....if you don't have anything nice to say, shut the **** up.

Paradox

FNG
Sorry,
the aviation world has its own set of acronyms. Can’t see why US and Canada should be able to agree on anything!
like I said (that WAS helpful) if you were willing to get the training to work on aircraft avionics the sky is the limit… pun intended.
otherwise with experience you should have no trouble finding a job in aviation that pays fairly well. You could work out the certification details later. FAA website should have a publication detailing the requirements of A&P/IA
good luck