Any advice for career burnout? Can’t think of a new interest to pursue?

I'm currently here myself. I've learned over the past few years that career burnout is most always related to job setting, co-workers, and company culture.

Finding a job today isn't necessarily as easy as some might think. It's not 20 years ago anymore. The process is different. Most of the time you have to fool a computer algorithm looking for key words before you're even allowed to speak to a real human. HR processes these days have become very lazy in this regard. Learning to fool this system is what brings in the non-performing deadbeat co-workers listed above that are really good at using key words on a resume and/or cover letter but can't do anything else but engage in office politics.

In my current setting, I've learned that I'm dumber than a box of rocks. Some of my current co-workers have shown me that.

It makes me wonder if I can even switch careers to become a night shift shelf stocker. Kidding aside, I hope your quest is more fruitful than mine has been.

There is a lot of great advice in this thread, also a lot of garbage.

If there is one thing that is clear to me it is this:
We sacrifice about half of our life(time/energy/focus) to our job. If that job fits our personality and gives our life purpose, then it enriches our life. If our job is a poor fit and feels “meaningless” to us, it can be a soul sucking endeavor that can lead to depression, addiction and broken families.

I spent about 15 years in a job similar to yours. I dreaded going to work each day. Looking back, I wish that I would have left sooner.

But something in the tone of your posts make me think that you might be suffering from depression. Ask yourself this: does your “burnout” extend to other areas of your life, or is it solely confined to your job? In other words, are you able to relax and have fun when doing the hobbies that you usually enjoy?

If the answer is no, then you really should get with a health professional and have them do a thorough exam. Low T or a thyroid issue might be the root cause.
This ^^^ I battled some depression for a while after I had a business go under back in 2008 and got screwed over by my business partner who was also my best friend. I wish I would have gone and got some help, I didn’t and it was a mental and emotional grind for several years - really tough on my wife. The reality is COVID has been really hard and probably magnified some things that have been going on for a while that people just swept under the rug. Nothing wrong with going and getting some bloodwork done and seeing a mental health professional.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm currently here myself. I've learned over the past few years that career burnout is most always related to job setting, co-workers, and company culture. Yes, I’ve been looking for a better culture for awhile

Finding a job today isn't necessarily as easy as some might think. It's not 20 years ago anymore. The process is different. Most of the time you have to fool a computer algorithm looking for key words before you're even allowed to speak to a real human. HR processes these days have become very lazy in this regard. Learning to fool this system is what brings in the non-performing deadbeat co-workers listed above that are really good at using key words on a resume and/or cover letter but can't do anything else but engage in office politics. Definitely, the algorithms are working against employees and employers. Many jobs can be taught but every company seems to want experience+degree/certification for “entry level” and offer low wages.

In my current setting, I've learned that I'm dumber than a box of rocks. Some of my current co-workers have shown me that.

It makes me wonder if I can even switch careers to become a night shift shelf stocker. Kidding aside, I hope your quest is more fruitful than mine has been. I’m sorry you’re stuck in this too.

Micro dosing mushrooms to improve your outlook/introspection/depression. Or there is Macro dosing to completely change your outlook. Could go either way with that one, hey this job ain't so bad, or an off grid yurt in the woods is my destiny. YMMV

The former is becoming more widely supported by research, the latter-set and setting.....

e990d8a6b4ff09a3d1cbb79d2c7a083a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

cwparry44

FNG
Good news is there’s a lot of jobs out there right now. You might try dabbling part-time in other industries to see what you like. Best time to do this is the “off-season”

Do you have any other hobbies besides hunting and fishing? I find something to do once I get home let’s me wind down relax and gets my brain off work(fairly stressful job). I like to tinker on stuff. Ive built a jeep, rebuilding a couple old lawn tractors now because they were given to me, been looking for an international scout for myself and a nova for my wife, will be rebuilding a buddies boat over this winter. Sometimes only I have time to do is clean and organize the shop other times I’ll be out there till midnight.

I always feel like shit when I just come home and sit down on the couch

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you have any other hobbies besides hunting and fishing? I find something to do once I get home let’s me wind down relax and gets my brain off work(fairly stressful job). I like to tinker on stuff. Ive built a jeep, rebuilding a couple old lawn tractors now because they were given to me, been looking for an international scout for myself and a nova for my wife, will be rebuilding a buddies boat over this winter. Sometimes only I have time to do is clean and organize the shop other times I’ll be out there till midnight.

I always feel like shit when I just come home and sit down on the couch
Hiking and would like to get into outdoor photography but you make a great point about something that can be done at home.

Now is the time to look for work...everyone is hiring! Hard for employers to compete with the government

I've learned over the past few years that career burnout is most always related to job setting, co-workers, and company culture.
I was literally just about to post this same comment.

People don't leave jobs. People leave supervisors.

Some people complain about a bad work environment or bad coworkers but if that's the case, you have a bad supervisor.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
People don't leave jobs. People leave supervisors.

Some people complain about a bad work environment or bad coworkers but if that's the case, you have a bad supervisor.
This is very true, and in my experience, those who are in a position to determine who is going to be a manager or supervisor, rarely change who they hire.
The bad management perpetuates more bad management.

I’m self employed making more money then I ever thought I would. However I absolutely hate where my business has taking me. I dont mind hard work and long hours but employees, bogus law suits, government restrictions and now fuel I wonder if I just cash out and invest what I’ve made And live a simpler life.
cons
I don’t know what my employees and there families would do. some Have been with me for 15 years
I don’t know how it be working for someone else
what can I invest in the is recession proof.
‘I’d have to sell my hobby farm which I love.

I also would love to move out west just because there is so much to do. However living expenses are outrageously high.

Wags

WKR
I feel your pain. I honestly hate my job, the company, and everything that surrounds what I do. I keep telling myself that it's only 8 years and I can retire. Doesn't help much unfortunately.

That sounds like every LEO I know.

There is some good advice on here. However I'd suggest you go see your Dr., get bloodwork done and talk to him about what you are seeing and feeling. This may be bigger than simply changing careers.

I hope you find what you seek.

Last edited:

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
I would absolutely NOT tell a Dr. you're feeling depressed. It can start a process that could lead to you loosing your gun rights, and being put on useless meds. Current medical practices are mostly about selling Rx.

Blood work and a physical isn't a bad idea. You can confess your tired, lacking a little stamina, and let it develop. IF you actually think it's a contributing factor.

What I wrote the first time I stand by, and always will.

Rob5589

WKR
That sounds like every LEO I know.

There is some good advice on here. However I'd suggest you go see your Dr., get bloodwork done and talk to him about what you are seeing and feeling. This may be bigger than simply changing careers.

I hope you find what you seek.
Actually just had a full work up; everything was better than average, surprisingly so. Not LE but, I work alongside and have close friends that are.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for all advice. I’ve got med check done and it’s nothing of concern so that’s a huge relief. A few things can be improved but no medication needed as of now. The head to toe check with a dermatologist was well worth 30 minutes and $45 for peace of mind (highly recommend to everyone). Oh, doc considers me stressed but not depressed, no high blood pressure though just metal stress.

Job wise I’ve taken a lot of advice, have a couple side hustles to consider and an opportunity in a different field plus some growth in my current field. It’s mind boggling to sort out but that’s okay.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Is there a legal reason you cannot relocate until the kids are out? If no legal reason, I say relocate. The kids will adjust.

6t4nova

WKR
Since your in Denver, check out the maintenance department at Amazon on Thornton or CO Springs. You'd be doing a lot better on pay for sure.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since your in Denver, check out the maintenance department at Amazon on Thornton or CO Springs. You'd be doing a lot better on pay for sure.
I could try there again. Any idea what that position might pay? You know a ballpark, I’m sure depends on experience certificates. Etc.