Any advice for CO Unit 66 third season?

Rbw1989

FNG
What’s up Rokslide? Myself and a group of 5 others drew Colorado 3rd season elk tags for 3rd season. We’ve been trying to get ahold of a biologist or game warden to see what a good starting point would be but have not yet been able to reach anyone to talk to. And on top of that, the main guy planning this trip was in the hospital for 9 days with covid and finally just got out…Any advice on where to start? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! 3rd season is November 13-19 this year (I think this was the 4th season timeline of years prior)

Last edited:

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Did you or any other of the 5 guys go scout in there? Little late to be just now looking for a starting point. I would bet the Biologist isn't going to be calling folks back for info at this point about a week from the opener. Expect snow and cold. I would bet the elk moved down to lower elevations by mid November. Good luck out there!

OP
R

Rbw1989

FNG
Did you or any other of the 5 guys go scout in there? Little late to be just now looking for a starting point. I would bet the Biologist isn't going to be calling folks back for info at this point about a week from the opener. Expect snow and cold. I would bet the elk moved down to lower elevations by mid November. Good luck out there!
Thanks for the reply, a couple guys have hunted neighboring units in years prior. We haven’t been to the unit to scout unfortunately. And also don’t have high hopes for biologists returning calls haha. I realize it’s late and we have done a decent amount of e scouting, but some more points of interest definitely couldn’t hurt. We are prepared for the cold, looks like a cold front should be moving in at about the time we will get there.

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure what part of the unit you're planning on. I know from personnel experience, that southern end of 66 is big and nasty. Expect a good bit of snow and night time temps, well below 0.

OP
R

Rbw1989

FNG
I’ve definitely been seeing the big nasty southern end while e scouting. I think we are pretty prepared for the cold nights and snow 👍🏽

Expect snow and cold. I would bet the elk moved down to lower elevations by mid November. Good luck out there!
I just got back this evening from 6 days hunting GMU 67. It was not cold at all during the day- above 50 every day and the mornings were still freezing, but pretty mild.

MojoTX

Lil-Rokslider
Unless there is a drastic change in the weather, I would start at high elevation and work your way down if necessary. Most hunters will probably be at lower elevations near the roads.

OP
R

Rbw1989

FNG
Thanks. We are planning to go high for sure. I’m hoping for a change in weather also. Just spent 3 hours hand sewing a stove jack in my kodiak canvas tent yesterday for a Colorado spruce wood stove instal. I want to put that sucker to the test.

Thanks. We are planning to go high for sure. I’m hoping for a change in weather also. Just spent 3 hours hand sewing a stove jack in my kodiak canvas tent yesterday for a Colorado spruce wood stove instal. I want to put that sucker to the test.
It'll definitely get cold enough at night to use a stove. The days are looking fairly warm though.

OP
R

Rbw1989

FNG
It'll definitely get cold enough at night to use a stove. The days are looking fairly warm though.
I just checked the weather, looks like it’ll be fairly warm like you’re saying. We will be scattering our group and busting the high timber I’m pretty sure.

IanCOLO

FNG
I hunted 2nd Rifle. Hopefully you have some cow tags in your group. I did see elk nearly every day but I didn’t have many realistic chances at getting it done on the elk I was seeing. There were a lot more hunters in the unit than what I was expecting. I did end up getting it done on a small bull towards the end of the season. The weather was warm as everyone else has stated and I got my bull coming down to water.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rbw1989

FNG
Glad you got it done! Unfortunately don’t have any cow tags. We will just have to beat feet and get off the roads and try to find herds. We will make notes of standing water for sure