Any advice on a family trip to Colorado

Shaverdan

FNG
Hey guys,
It's been a minute. I went to Colorado on a solo elk hunt 3 years ago and haven't made it back since. I've never done anything like it the whole thing was magic for me and I swore as soon as I saw the Rocky Mountains that I was going to bring my family back and show them. Fast forward to the cheapest flight/hotel prices in memory, some time off work and a little one/wife that could use a change in scenery. We will be there next week.
My loose plan after flying into Denver is a couple days in Estes Park, one day in silverthorne/dillon then heading to Colorado springs for a couple of days before heading back to Denver to fly back home. I'll have the wife and a seven year old in tow.
Things I'm planning on hitting are RMNP, Trail Ridge Rd, Georgetown loop railroad/mine, Garden of the gods, and pikes peak. I've only been to CO once and spent the whole time in the woods not in any of these areas. Any body got any tips or suggestions of things to hit on the trip? I appreciate anything you have for me ~Dan

Bsnyder

WKR
I believe trail ridge road is closed due to fire but not sure as to where at. Those are great places. The elk in rmnp are fired up and sparing from what I hear. Enjoy your trip!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ll second the Cheyenne mountain zoo. Be warned it’s steep walking, just plan more time so you can take it slow and easy. Garden of the Gods, walk it, drive it or both. RMNP I believe is still doing entrance by reservation only. It’s kinda a pain to get weekends, try to go during the week.

def90

WKR
Sounds like you have a full trip planned already. Keep in mind you need to make a reservation to get in to RMNP. Estes Park is a tourist trap so don’t expect good food or service. Boulder is good for an afternoon walk downtown on Pearl Street and dinner at a local restaurant. The Phoenix Gold Mine is the tour to take in Idaho Springs if you are in to mining history. Peak to Peak highway from Estes down to Idaho springs will give you some great views, for a side jaunt look up “Oh My God” road which runs from Idaho Springs to Central City which is an old mining town that still has most of it’s original gold rush era buildings. There is the Buffalo Bill museum and grave in Golden and the buffalo herd overlook at the top of I70 heading west out of Golden. Way to much to do and see in a short time.

Phaseolus

WKR
Sounds like you have a full trip planned already. Keep in mind you need to make a reservation to get in to RMNP. Estes Park is a tourist trap so don’t expect good food or service. Boulder is good for an afternoon walk downtown on Pearl Street and dinner at a local restaurant. The Phoenix Gold Mine is the tour to take in Idaho Springs if you are in to mining history. Peak to Peak highway from Estes down to Idaho springs will give you some great views, for a side jaunt look up “Oh My God” road which runs from Idaho Springs to Central City which is an old mining town that still has most of it’s original gold rush era buildings. There is the Buffalo Bill museum and grave in Golden and the buffalo herd overlook at the top of I70 heading west out of Golden. Way to much to do and see in a short time.
Trail Ridge Road is not closed due to fire, The old Fall River Road is. You will need reservations to enter the park until Oct 12. Snow may close Trail Ridge Road at any time.

OP
S

Shaverdan

FNG
Thanks guys I'm super grateful I'll look all this stuff up. I was able to snag a reservation for RMNP don't know if I would have been able to otherwise.

Something we did really quick close to Denver was the Arsenal national wildlife refuge. It was just a drive thru thing. Something to hit quick and see some animals. Bison walking right past the vehicle, huge mule deer. Just something you can do in a hour or two that doesn't require much energy, might be nice while acclimating.

wsking

FNG
The town of Salida is a great small mountain town to visit along the Arkansas River.
Also Elevenmile Canyon State Park (day trip from Colorado Springs) is beautiful this time of year.

This may not be your thing, but my dad and I really enjoyed the Colorado School of Mines museum in Golden. I didn’t have high hopes walking in, but they had some dang cool stuff.

Trail Ridge Road is not closed due to fire, The old Fall River Road is. You will need reservations to enter the park until Oct 12. Snow may close Trail Ridge Road at any time.
Phaseolus, when is the peach season up your way? Does it last into October? Wifey wanted to make a trip there if it wasn't done and over with.

def90

WKR
Most of the Peach crop was killed this year by a late freeze this past spring. There aren't any peach stands anywhere this year.

Colorado Springs doesn't do anything for me. I wouldn't spend any time there without a specific reason for doing so, If you go anyway, I'd drive up to Pikes Peak. I'd also go visit the Royal Gorge in Canon City. Crested Butte is one of the coolest small towns in Colorado. You will not regret going there. Rent a jeep or an SUV with a little ground clearance. There are great gravel Forest Service roads all over the state.

Most of the Peach crop was killed this year by a late freeze this past spring. There aren't any peach stands anywhere this year.

Thanks def90. I guess we will check out other destinations. I will be early for my Chama hunt, and we wanted to see some attractions in Northern NM and Colo. This will be year #31, so we have to venture out further than we usually do.

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Skip Dillon/Silverthorne area as it is not very good for a 7 yr. old and not really good food, mainly a nature lovers area for the outdoors and not very touristy. Frisco (across Dillon reservoir) has a nice downtown outdoor shopping area for shopping as does Breckenridge for the wife. Really like Glenwood Springs area and they had rafting, a mountainside amusement park, fishing, horseback riding, etc.

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
RMNP is beautiful this time of year, but you need a reservation to enter now. There's a jillion places on earth but RMNP is tops in my book.