Any advice to Introducing firearms to young children ?

muddydogs

WKR
I started my 3 grandsons when they were around 2 just getting them use to seeing firearms. Had them setting on my lap and let them touch the firearm were every they wanted. I would direct there finger away from the trigger and say we don't touch that until we are ready to shoot. Be prepared for grimy finger prints on the optic lenses.

First grandson was shooting a 22 rifle by 4 with my help, second grandson is 8 and has never shot a round because he's not interested, third grandson is a tearer at 3 so it might be a couple years before he's ready.

Little test I like to do is leave a safe firearm next to the gun safe every once in a while when the kids are over just to see what they do, I usually leave a muzzle loader out as I know its completely safe. Them kids don't even look twice at the firearm, they know what it is and there is no mystery with it. If one of the kids asks to hold or see any of my firearms I'm johnny on the spot making it happen.

First grandson is 11 and just passed his hunter safety, there's a muzzy under the tree this Christmas and deer hunting plans in the works for next Sept. Might even be a cow elk on the menu. Utah's mentor laws are a good thing for getting youth into hunting.

IN_Varmntr

Lil-Rokslider
The earlier the better, in my opinion.

My oldest son, now 3.5 years old, had a youth Marlin 22LR bolt gun in his hands prior to his 3rd b-day.

I've found with both my sons, if you take the mystery out of it, they treat things differently.

At this stage of their lives, they look to us for guidance and do not want to disappoint when they know my wife and I are being serious about something.

WKR
Took my kids hunting with me when they were 3 and 4 years old. Main purpose wasn't for me to kill something of course, it was just to get them outside and enjoying the outdoors. We would watch all manner of animals and they got very interested in learning stuff.

If I was the OP and had a farm, I'd have a couple of box blinds put up where deer or antelope or elk passed through. I'd start taking the little one out in a heated or out of the wind blind and get their interest up. They'll come around to shooting once they know in order to hunt, they need to.

rodney482

WKR
BB gun and have him/her respect it just like a real firearm.

Then at about 5 get a single shot cricket.

I agree with all of the comments about every kid being different and only the parent will truly know when each kid is ready.
I personally think the firearm safety and respect for firearms can start early and 3 is definitely not too early for that on most kids. For me, I think the 3 to 5 range on average is more for showing them guns, talking about safety, and watching dad shoot.
I think kids should be big enough and strong enough to handle the type of gun you want to introduce them to before they shoot it. If you need to carry the gun to a bench, aim the gun, sit the kid on your lap, and let them pull the trigger it might be too early in my opinion. If the kid can pick the gun up from the cabinet, carry it to the bench, aim it, and pull the trigger he is more than ready.
Respect for guns can start early but I see too many dads that want their little Johnny being the best rifle shot at 3 and first to shoot a big buck at 5 years old. For some kids that's fine but for most it's too early.

Jbake108

FNG
BB guns are perfect, not loud, no kick easy to operate. Just teach basics and grow from there you’ll know when kids are ready to move up. If they don’t wanna do it don’t force em and demand safety and encourage fun. My son is five and I can trust him my other son that is four no trust at all yet. I think my oldest will probably get a 22 for his B day in May.

My girls were less than 5 when they first started shooting a 22. The girls had a lot of fun hitting empty soda cans. We would stack them up in a pyramid and then try to shoot one of the bottom cans, making the whole pyramid fall down.

As they got older I tried to keep up the challenge. We bought some old/expired sodas on sale. We shook them up and then shot. They absolutely love it !!!

Then we went even further. We shook the cans, hung them with fishing line, and swung them so that they were shooting at a moving target with the 22. It made for lots of laughs and great times. We even took slow motion video on our phones and watched the soda cans blow up over and over. It was so much fun !!!

Note: pick up the soda can pieces and dump a bucket of water on the area or else you'll draw a lot of bees and ants.

Ben57

FNG
Make it enjoyable and include them. But dont ever push it and give them a bad experience. If theyre cold or tired of walking it's time to call it,Remember it's not about you.

Attachments

• 20200803_162343.jpg
    20200803_162343.jpg
    671.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200418_132546.jpg
    20200418_132546.jpg
    578.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200114_110126.jpg
    20200114_110126.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 5