Any advice to Introducing firearms to young children ?

Michael54

WKR
My sons 3 and there are 7 other kids on the farm. Each kid gets started based on their own individual maturity levels and comprehension. 2 of them shot their first deer off of a field pod at the age of five and there is a 12 yr old that hasn't been allowed to fire a gun yet. I'm not sure is my son will be shooting sooner or later. I do take him in the woods now for archery season as i have a big platform we built with steps. Some days he's into it and some days im bummed he didnt want to go with me. Only you will know when its time.

Justenfl

FNG
With both of my boys when they were around 3 years old I took them on a trapline with me. I had a 22lr with me when we got back to the first trap with a coin. I pulled a 22 cartridge out of my pocket showed them how small it was, told each of them to hold it and feel how light it was. I then put it in the chamber and dispatched the coon. I then explained that the coon was dead and it would never come back to life and that all happened from that tiny little bullet. I asked if they understood how dangerous a gun can be if not handled properly. I wanted them to fully understand and see from a young age to respect it. I dont see 3 being to little like was said before just dont scare them with something that has a bunch of recoil. Just for reference this is my 6 year old about a week ago, all by himself.
20191124_175644.jpg

I started the kids on a Red Ryder bb gun shooting empty cans stacked up to hear and see the reaction. Then it was a single shot .22 cricket with sub Sonics and ear protection. At all costs remove the bark and flinch. Now 10 year old shoots a Ruger American compact .223 and next year might move to a 6.5 CM. We always stress gun safety as my military father did to me.

derricklay23

Lil-Rokslider
Start with BB Gun and a lot of patience. Practice as much as you can as long as its fun for them! Try to do something fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ICEMAN86

FNG
I bought my daughter a crickett and took her shooting for the first time at 3. We practice aiming, running the bolt and safety at home. It stays in the safe with all the rifles so she knows it's not a toy. When we shoot she sits on my lap and we go through all the steps and make one shot at a time, it's a single shot anyhow. She loves it and we save the targets.
I do the same thing with mine and she is also 3.

Lvthntitall

Lil-Rokslider
Here are a couple things that I have done with my boys and it seemed to work well. When they were toddlers I would put my unloaded muzzleloader in the corner by the door to teach them to not touch a firearm without permission. All guns other then when the muzzleloader was out were and still are locked in a gun safe. My boys are now 16 and 14 and they still don’t know the combination to the safe. It’s not that I don’t trust them but I don’t know all there friends and dont want to take chances. Also when they were 3 or 4 I would take them deer hunting at least once a year. I put up a couple box blinds that we could hunt were the could be warm and move around. Those days were their days for their ideas of how to hunt deer, if we saw deer great, but we spent more time eating snacks and trying to sneak up on deer than shooting deer. Some of the best memories that I will take to my grave

My little ones (now 3 and 5) have been tagging along with me in the woods since 2. They know what guns are and they know they are not to touch them without me. Recently, I let them shoot a Red Ryder. The stock was still too long and I thought it might start to frustrate them, so I put that on the back burner. I might resort to cutting the stock off a bit to fit them better and seeing how they like it.

Interestingly, I took the boy (5) to the pistol club meeting last month. He absolutely loved it. I think he knew right away that he was in a meeting with men, and he was so proud to be included in that 'group'. It was just a meeting but it also associated him with guns (ranges) and the seriousness of it.

Ryan_1129

Lil-Rokslider
I also have a 3 year old and was wondering the same thing. I might wait till next year and try the red Ryder next year.

cnelk

WKR
Join a rifle range. Teach them proper range rules and gun handling there and at home.
They will see if they like the BANG BANG

Actual shooting is down the list a ways

ncstewart

WKR
I personally think introduction to guns is good at young ages. I think even if it’s a toy gun it’s good to have a gun for your kids that he treats as a real gun. Yes my kids have toy guns but having 1 to learn on and treat like a real gun I think is important.
I got my first shooting gun at like 3. It was a plastic bb type gun, kinda a toy but that was my first. Once I showed I was able to use it and put it up correct then the BB gun! That was around 5-6. Again once I showed I could Hunt with my dad and be safe with it I started to get to hunt for real with rimfire and 410. That was around 10. Ended up killing my first deer at 11.
I also believe archery is best introduced early. My son is also 3 and has a little bow that he shoot with me and loves it. I make him treat it like a real bow cause to him it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squamch

WKR
I started at 2, with a Smith and Wesson Kframe. I basically hauled on the trigger while dad held it. Had my own .22 at 8, and was hunting grouse with it. Shotgun at 12, and bought my own .243 model 70 at 13. Never had a bb gun until I was a teenager.

My 2 year old isn't ready. My buddy's 3 year old daughter was kicking ass with a cricket, and at 6, can't wait to come hunting, and will sit behind the spotter and call shots for us when we aee punching paper.

Every kid is different, that's for sure!!

When I was young I used to deer hunt with a bunch of buddies of my girlfriends dad. We were talking about kids and guns, and getting them into shooting. One guy said he never let his kid have a BB gun, that they started with a .22. I asked why he was against a bb gun, and his response was "Because I wanted them to know that it could kill anything they pointed it at".

I’ve got a 4, 6, and 8 year old that all shoot.

Started with a BB gun at 3-4 years old (the smaller version of Red Ryder; don’t make the mistake of getting the RR at that age, stock is too long). Box of safety glasses and rules to safe gun handling.

The 6 year old now has a Savage rascal - peep site and single shot bolt is perfect. Use the CB subsonic rounds and no ear protection is needed. Daughter is stepping into smaller rifles now.

Good times!

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
Every child is different and will have to be what your comfortable with. My son is currently 5 and has been hunting by my side since 2! Started out with tagging along coyote hunting and has grown from there. At the age of four he can sit in my blind with me literally ALL day and be quiet. He is aware and alert of the dangers that surround us in the field. It is certainly an additional responsibility to bring him but they have to start somewhere. I bought him his first BB gun at the age of 4 but don’t allow him to carry it with on our hunts. I have him bring his toy rifle or shotgun depending on game we are seeking and make him understand barrel and trigger control even though it’s a toy. I wouldn’t have it any other way but every child is different. My nephews are older and complete opposite. To be honest with you I trust my 5 year old more than some grown ass men I’ve hunted with. Good luck!

My daughter is 3 and she has a little cricket and some low load .22 ammo.

I'm thinking around 5 we will move up to the Marlin full sized .22.

But, the best part is she won a nice youth .243 at a raffle this year. It'll be a while but I can't wait!

Overdo it on safety, hearing protection, and "don't touch without an adult".

jmez

WKR
You'll have to cut the stock down for a 5 year old to move her to a full size.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

svhunter

FNG
Didn't read whole thread... but obviously safety first, then SQEEEEEEEEEZE the trigger. My kids never shoot a 'big' gun for target practice but only BB's and .17 /.22 stuff. But on hunts they shoot almost any of my guns and the kick doesn't even effect them one bit. They are 10 and 11 years old. I've lost track of the animals they have killed and only one miss which was redeemed on round 2 down the barrel 20 seconds later. Every time I ask did you squeeze? Answer is yep.

Shot my son at 3yo with an airsoft gun. Big tears. Momma Bear was furious! Fair is fair let him shoot me as well, then the lesson began. I shot a watermelon with airsoft, then pelletgun, then .22, then my 9mm, got fresh watermelon and blew it up with my .454. Morel of the story was do you remember how bad that airsoft hurt? Yes. Good. What did it do to the watermelon? It bounced off. Good. Would you want to get shot with anything else I shot today? No I'd die. Good. DO WE EVEN POINT A GUN AT ANYTHING WE DON"T WANT TO SHOOT? No. Good. And that was my son's introduction to firearms. Right or wrong that is how I did it. But that was just the intro. He's 14 now I would trust him clearing an objective with me way more then 99% of the hunters I come across, but that comes from continuous training and practice. He has hunted with me at least once a year since he was 3yo and that is where they get to see everything in action. You can tell them to do whatever you want, but if they see you not doing something they will not do it.

Rich M

WKR
I was 5. Hunted w dad, carried gun.

Got bb gun at 5 or 6.

Was one of those obedient kids who listened.

3 is too young to shoot. Get him a toy gun and use it to teach safety.

Bring him hunting with you on short nearby hunts and let him bring his toy gun. You'll have a lot of fun.

Don't rush it. He doesn't need to shoot a trophy buck at 5. He wants to spend time with you mainly.