Any Aftermarket Stocks or Modifications for Nosler M48 to lighten it up?

I have a Nosler m48 Liberty in 6.5 284 norma. Love the gun, love the caliber and love how accurate it is. The only thing I wish is it was a tad lighter. With my ultra light SWFA scope and muzzle break on it, it weighs in at 8 pounds 2 ounces(bare gun is 7.0 pounds). Anyone know of a lighter stock or a way to modify the existing stock to save weight? I read about the Kimber Hunter stocks being full of glue that with some effort guys were able to shave 8 ounces or so on. My Nosler has a Pachmeyer butt pad that looks like its put on with some adhesive? so I'm hesitant to go ripping it off to go exploring. I know there isn't a lot of aftermarket support for the Noslers as they haven't been around for too long. I see Nosler offers a kevlar stock through their custom gun build shop but can't get a hold of anyone at Nosler to see if it would save me much weight(or if they would even sell it stand alone.) Any ideas are greatly appreciated as I would prefer to not have to switch guns and definitely don't want to switch calibers as I have tons of reloading components for 6.5 284. Saving 8-16 ounces would be great. Hesitant to chop the barrel down as the gun is very accurate now and worry that would alter that? Sorry for the long post. Any ideas?

Any rifle builder specializing in bolt rifle builds worth a damn can modify pretty much any fiberglass/foam filled stock to fit nicely most bolt actions with the right amount of epoxy and release agent. I have the same rifle you have but in 28 Nosler. Agreed it is heavy, I just have not researched changing out stocks. I plan to flute my barrel but that is more for looks than reducing weight.

SDHNTR

WKR
Think hard about this. You have an accurate gun that you like. You bought it that way for a reason. IMO, ultralight guns are hard to shoot accurately, especially at distance or with any wind. 7 lbs is pretty light to begin with.

OP
BeaverHunter
Think hard about this. You have an accurate gun that you like. You bought it that way for a reason. IMO, ultralight guns are hard to shoot accurately, especially at distance or with any wind. 7 lbs is pretty light to begin with.
Yea I get what you're saying. I had an unbraked Kimber Montana in 300 wsm previously so I understand. I don't think shaving 8-16 ounces is going to alter my shooting much if any, with practice at the range and my muzzle brake but you do make a good point.

OP
BeaverHunter
Any rifle builder specializing in bolt rifle builds worth a damn can modify pretty much any fiberglass/foam filled stock to fit nicely most bolt actions with the right amount of epoxy and release agent. I have the same rifle you have but in 28 Nosler. Agreed it is heavy, I just have not researched changing out stocks. I plan to flute my barrel but that is more for looks than reducing weight.
Great caliber. That would have been my first choice for calibers in this gun but this one fell into my lap lightly used for a great price with a bunch of lapua brass so I couldn't resist.

SDHNTR

WKR
Yea I get what you're saying. I had an unbraked Kimber Montana in 300 wsm previously so I understand. I don't think shaving 8-16 ounces is going to alter my shooting much if any, with practice at the range and my muzzle brake but you do make a good point.
I had an 8400 in .270 wsm. Couldn’t get rid of it fast enough. It was painful to shoot, plus other problems.

Other forums have pointed out the similarities between the Nosler and Howa rifle actions. I seem to recall reading that Nosler hired someone from Howa to design the M48. Perhaps a lighter weight stock from a Howa or Weatherby Vanguard could be made to fit with some work. Not sure if it’s worth it, just throwing it out there. I have a M48 in 7mm Rem. I really like it!

OP
BeaverHunter
Other forums have pointed out the similarities between the Nosler and Howa rifle actions. I seem to recall reading that Nosler hired someone from Howa to design the M48. Perhaps a lighter weight stock from a Howa or Weatherby Vanguard could be made to fit with some work. Not sure if it’s worth it, just throwing it out there. I have a M48 in 7mm Rem. I really like it!
I thought I read that somewhere also. I'll have to do some research. Thanks

If you’re serious about reducing weight, the first thing I would do is see how much the stock weighs by itself as that would be where you’ll get the most weight savings other than taking from the action/barrel. McMillan will do custom inlets for some rifles, for extra charges, so that may be an option. A Hunters Edge with a 1/2” pad would prob be in the 23-25 oz range. A Sako Hunter with Edge fill would be in the 27 oz range.

You’d have to see how much weight savings there is, and if it is worth the probable $800 for the stock all up to save that many oz.

When I had my Nosler TGR with the skinny barrel I went through this exercise. I found that in total, changing the stock would save a total of 6 oz. The cost and wait to do it was definitely not worth it to me, so I kept it as is and eventually sold it. For the cost of the TGR at the time, plus the stock change, I easily could have built a rifle at the weight that I wanted, for less.

Just my experience...

hodgeman

WKR
I have a M48 Custom from 2006. While Nosler is pretty tight lipped about who built what for the rifle...the action is a BAT with a modified Howa footprint and the stock is made by MPI.

A MPI stock will run you $900ish or more depending on what you pick for options. You might save 6-8 oz with the switch. My buddy has the Liberty and that stock definitely is heavier and chunkier than the MPI.