Any Ar15 guru's out there?

My state will b outlawing asult rifles soon and I really want a ar15 but money won't allow me to buy one right now. So I came up with the idea to purchase any parts that would be outlawed now and buy the rest later when money allows. Is this a fesible idea?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's still difficult to get parts right now with the back order who knows but some are getting out. You are going to pay a premium though for everything

digger

Lil-Rokslider
Just buy a stripped lower receiver.That is the part that is registered.Everything else you can buy over the counter
,,,even here in california.
As stated above the darn things are hard to find right now,,but keep looking and you'll find one.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like stated above, the lower is what you should be after. I will also throw in a bolt carrier group to your list. A good bcg has been on the upward trend of being hard to find pre December 2012.

OP
flatlander51
Thanks for the replies I'm on my way to owning a nice stripped lower. Gotta get it registered before this stupid law goes into effect !!!!

sab

Lil-Rokslider
During the federal ban, the ATF determined that stripped lowers possessed before the ban could not be assembled into pre-ban configuration after the ban. Their reasoning was that the ban banned an entire class of weapon, so if you didn't possess a complete weapon with the banned features prior to the ban, you weren't exempted.

In other words, we were dealing with two different definitions. That of a firearm, which the lower meets, and that of an "assault rifle", which requires all the "evil features".

Make sure that you won't end up in a similar situation with your state law before you purchase that lower!

Regards,
Scott

Scott beat me too it, this is good advice.
A lot of people back in 94' thought just buying a lower was they way to go and it didn't work out that way.
During that ban, the rifle had to be assembled prior, even then it was hard to prove if needed.

Flatlander,

I have an FFL and just got in some lowers from Stag Arms. A couple are stripped, a few are assembled minus the stocks and buffer assemblies and I have two complete lowers left. PM me if interested.

Mark

For folks on this forum:
Stripped lower: $200
Lower w/o stock $300
Complete lower $400
Shipping: add $25 and I will refund anything above actual shipping cost.
Certified funds or if using a Credit Card +3%