Any Bark River knifeheads out there? Looking for a dedicated caping knife for detail work on elk and moose skulls.

PA Hunter

WKR
I have the gunny hunter and want to pair it with dedicated caping knife. This is only for my personal hunting and only one elk or moose skull per year not a bunch in a row.

Thanks

adamm88

WKR
I would look at something like the petty z. But im super comfortable with kitchen knives

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curt514

FNG
Not a Bark River but check out the Camp Muck made by LT Wright. A2 tool steel, deep belly, and fits the hand nicely.

Lawnboi

WKR
I went down the bark river hole a while ago, while overall I have a fairly poor overall outlook on their knives, I still have a few that iv kept around. Now I don’t cape elk or moose, so I can’t help there, but I can help with bark river, as I’ve gotten to play with a lot of them cutting up deer. IMO make sure to get a thin stock one, many of brkt knives are overly thick and make caping and delicate work a pain in the ass. Two knives that come to mind that I still own from brkt are the bird and trout and a mini kephart. These are both skinny knives with a good point. Both took some serious edge work to make really useful as IMO brkt grinds the edge on their skinnier knives way too thin. If you have any questions on specific models let me know.

That said if you want to spend the same money, for greater and much more consistent quality IMO check out LT Wright. I’d reccomend the norther hunter or small northern hunter or a coyote if you can find one. Small northern hunter is my go to knife, I use it over customs.

curt514

FNG
I went down the bark river hole a while ago, while overall I have a fairly poor overall outlook on their knives, I still have a few that iv kept around. Now I don’t cape elk or moose, so I can’t help there, but I can help with bark river, as I’ve gotten to play with a lot of them cutting up deer. IMO make sure to get a thin stock one, many of brkt knives are overly thick and make caping and delicate work a pain in the ass. Two knives that come to mind that I still own from brkt are the bird and trout and a mini kephart. These are both skinny knives with a good point. Both took some serious edge work to make really useful as IMO brkt grinds the edge on their skinnier knives way too thin. If you have any questions on specific models let me know.

That said if you want to spend the same money, for greater and much more consistent quality IMO check out LT Wright. I’d reccomend the norther hunter or small northern hunter or a coyote if you can find one. Small northern hunter is my go to knife, I use it over customs.

I will agree about the Bark River knives being too thick. I have no reason for a 0.200+ thick knife. I do have an Aurora light in Elmax that I like but I do prefer the LT knives. I have a Camp Muck for skinning and camp needs and I sometimes EDC my Small Northern Hunter. Along with several Mora’s, Benchmade’s, SpiderCo, etc. the only thing that I do not like about the LT knives is the profile grind is a little course. I wish they just finished with a finer belt grit before putting an edge in it.

mcseal2

WKR
I pair my Gunny Hunter or Classic Clip Point Hunter with a Benchmade Altitude for the fine stuff. I just started using that combo and have only done one deer with it, but the Altitude worked great for everything the Gunny Hunter was to big for. I like the Clip Point Hunter better for processing game than the Gunny after using it and will probably stick with it most of the time. The only time I'll take the Gunny is if I want a tougher blade I can abuse a bit more doing other tasks.