Any Bergara Rifle Warnings?

Bulldawg

WKR
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Bergara rifle for my wife and was wondering if anybody has any bad experiences with them or if they are a solid rifle? In my research it seems that they are a good gun and the B14 seems to be a good value but wanted to ask the interwebs if I'm missing anything.

TxxAgg

WKR
My 308 wasn't all that accurate, but I liked everything else about it. My brother had the same experience. Both got sold as project guns.

bdg848

WKR
I just bought a b14 ridge and only have 60 rounds through it so take this for what it's worth, but I like it. Feels like good quality. The ridge has a heavier barrel than the hunter model and feels a little front heavy maybe. I haven't made up my mind on how I feel about that yet. Try a few brands of ammo. I tried two so far. One was about 1.5 MOA but the other was about .7 MOA. I will be using that load with this rifle for antelope in October.

X-file

Lil-Rokslider
I experimented with 1 and now I own 3. An hmr 6.5, a ridge 6.5 that both shoot 1/2” or better with hot Adam 140 eldx and a premier terrain 7-08 that is between 1/2 and 3/4 pretty sure I haven’t found the right ammo yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
I bought a B14 Hunter in .30-06 last year and have been very happy with it so far. It’s as accurate as I am and performed as expected on deer. I really like the feel and finish of the stock.

Dobermann

WKR
FWIW, I was briefly tempted by an HMR, as the stock seemed surprisingly good for the price point, and they offer it in left-handed ... but then I got cold feet because of the Rem 700-type action, went with a Tikka, and have not regretted changing my mind. :)

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
In wet environments their cerakote rusts pretty quick compared to stainless. Don't have much experience with cerakote, so this may just be normal.

I had a Kimber Montana, my buddy had a new Bergara with cerakote. By the morning of the second day he had rust spots all over his rifle. He had oiled it before the boat ride in, but not before bed. I had not oiled my Kimber for about a week, did nothing to it that night, and it had no rust when I oiled it the evening of the second day before bed.

He liked the rifle and had no complaints other than the rust.

I have seen 5-6 used hunter models on the rack at my local gun shops. Don't know how well they were taken care of but each one had significant surface rust on the blued barrels. I was interested in buying one until I kept seeing that.

My B14 hunter 6.5 shoots as well as I can. The nitride coating did show some light corrosion after exposure to salt Walter last year. I paid about $550 used and would do it again.

DRUSSELL

FNG
In wet environments their cerakote rusts pretty quick compared to stainless. Don't have much experience with cerakote, so this may just be normal.

I had a Kimber Montana, my buddy had a new Bergara with cerakote. By the morning of the second day he had rust spots all over his rifle. He had oiled it before the boat ride in, but not before bed. I had not oiled my Kimber for about a week, did nothing to it that night, and it had no rust when I oiled it the evening of the second day before bed.

He liked the rifle and had no complaints other than the rust.
The Cerakote rifles will not rust. It is possible that the blued ones could rust. FYI, the black barreled B14 models are not Cerakoted.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The Cerakote rifles will not rust. It is possible that the blued ones could rust. FYI, the black barreled B14 models are not Cerakoted.

Could be, he stated that he was told it was Cerakoted when he asked about it. Not certain who he asked though.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I jumped on them when they first started getting popular a few years ago, it was their target model in 6.5 Creedmoor, I also got a t3x in 6.5 Creedmoor that same day, I ended up selling the bergara shortly after, it was ok, I just didn’t see what all the hype was about and I liked the tikka better.

rootacres

WKR
I had a 308, it loved factory 165 accubonds. If I was buying a factory rifle sub $750 it would be bergara for sure.

brsnow

WKR
If you use forums for product reviews you will never be able to purchase anything. If you want to see if something truly has issues look to see how many are being sold in the classified section. You could also ask what people like about an item as well.

brsnow

WKR
Using the classifieds to judge whether or not items have problems is about the dumbest method ever.

When ZCO released the MPCT3 reticle earlier this year, a ton of MPCT2 reticle owners dumped their $3,500 scope for the "latest & greatest". Do you think all those ZCOs had issues??

Some guys spend money without having it and end up needing to sell stuff they couldn't actually afford. Some just like trying things out and then moving on. Others think they can buy skill, and end up selling their rifle/optic/widget because it didn't make them a "half minute all day" shooter.

some people post on the internet based on what the read or heard, basing a decision on feedback from people you don’t even know if they owned the product doesn’t work for me. You can see patterns of what people sell, what it sells for, how often they are being posted. You can use whatever method you want, but market research works for me.

twall13

WKR
I've been very happy with my B14 HMR in 6.5 Creed. It shoots really well for me. I'll agree the blueing probably isn't the best as mine is showing wear in a few areas after a year and a half of use but no rust so far. I liked that rifle enough after using it all last year that I recently picked up a B14 Wilderness Ridge in .300 Win Mag. I'll be taking it with me on an elk hunt next week so hopefully all goes well but everything seems to be great with that rifle so far.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
I have a wilderness b-14 in 300wm and it’s a solid shooter . Only complaint I have is that the stock could be attached to action better .
The bolt disassembly for cleaning was a cool design too. No more broken shoe laces

twall13

WKR
So now that I have a little more time behind the wilderness ridge I picked up I have a few more thoughts. I actually really like this rifle, smooth action, decent trigger, and accurate. I've only shot a couple different factory loads with it but both shoot better than MOA. I really feel it's a fantastic value for the price point. There are lighter guns in this price range, like some of the tikkas, but I prefer the feel of the Bergara personally.

My only real gripe has to do with the coating they put on the stock. I really like the feel of it as it's almost tacky. It's hard to explain but it has a great grip to it without being sticky. That said, it's wearing off in a hurry. Anywhere the stock rubs while carrying it the coating us peeling. The paint seems to be staying on fine but the coating is coming off and it doesn't look great. Not a huge issue as I bought this rifle to use it, not for it's pretty looks but still something that could have been improved. Here are a few photos of what I'm talking about.
4bb53ff369c071e27a8fa0c65e32868f.jpg
5be979309a97d96e20d6505965ccb69e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited: