Any book recommendations for 17yo?

ShawnStonefly

Lil-Rokslider
Getting Things Done by David Allen, is a book I give to any young professional or intern that works for me. Helps outline, prioritize and more importantly deprioritize actions/projects/tasks, so you aren't worried about what you're forgetting to do or feeling overwhelmed.

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the Bible. It's applicable to human life now - just as it was when written. People are people and they are motivated and react just the same as they always have.
The Sackett series by Louis L'Amour.
Actually, every western written by Louis L'Amour.
Family, self-reliance, preparation and determination to get thru whatever comes your way.
My own analogy from observing a lot of people across this planet for 50+ years - someone who takes the time to read seems to me to be a more thoughtful and purposeful decision maker. Just what I have noticed in my time. YMMV

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
So my nephew turns 17 Sunday and really is a great kid. He had a rough patch for a few years and turned into a very problematic, entitled, defiant, know it all little shit from about 13-16 and caused more grief for my sister than I can imagine, but there was a lot going on at home and his hormones took over im sure. Anyway, he has matured and really turned things around. Hes getting great grades, found his work ethic and is intrinsically motovated to do well instead of wanting a hand out for everything. He loves to weld and was accepted into a competitive welding program while working at a local fab shop for 40 hours a week during the summer just to learn. He has plans to get his own welding truck up and running and hit the Texas oil fields right after school and has been asking about IRAs and finance so the kid has come a long way from a few years ago.

Long story short Id like to give him a few books or even audio books to hopefully help him on his path to success after his senior year. Any suggestions?
1. Another vote for the “Millionaire Next Door”. The earlier that he internalizes the lessons, the better off he will be. Life alerting book. It will change how you think about building wealth and who really is wealthy.

2. “The Road” and “Blood Meridian” by Cormac McCarthy. Maybe a little much for a 17 year old but they’re great books. Maybe wait till he’s 18? Blood Meridian has one of the all time great villains in literature. One of my good friends said to read “The Road” a second time after you’ve become a father, and it will carry so much new meaning. He was right; sometimes it give me goosebumps.

3. “Lonesome Dove”. I could read this novel over and over.

TX_Diver

WKR
Also, as far as people turning their lives around - Fearless - about Adam Brown is a wild story. Better book than David Goggins IMO.

Robobiss

FNG
“Rule of the bone” by Russel Banks.

“Coming of age” tale about a kid that is a real shithead with a shitty home life and drug habits among other issues. Trigger warning-sexual abuse, drug use, murder, death, etc.

I could identify with a lot of this when I read it when I was his age or a little older after my “shithead” stage and growing up a little (no abuse of course my parents were awesome but I had a habit of being naughty).

Maybe it isn’t what you’re looking for, but when I was a kid I really, really enjoyed reading this book.

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
Rich Dad Poor Dad- Rober Kiyosaki
Set for Life- Scott Trench (a little more Real Estate focused, but great)
Richest Man in Babylon
The House Hacking Strategy- Craig Curelop

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
Well, of course, the Bible, but it's hard to get youngsters to pick up a Bible unless they have some background.....that is attending church.
Did me alot of good and met some awesome men to help me pattern my life.....and a few that made me question my choices!
Caught a deacon buying a six pack of beer one day.
Caught another drunker than Cooter Brown!
...but that's life! Everything isn't always as it seems!

P.H. Capstick is a good read. Yeah, dig into Capstick and he will tell you himself that he used his "literary license" quite often, but the man could spin a good yarn!

Gene Hill and Lewis Grizzard both wrote short stories. All great reads. They helped me most when my attention span was questionable.

ksoden

FNG
Fearless - Eric Blehm
Lonesome Dove - Larry McMurtry
Extreme Ownership - Willink/Babin
Holy Bible - God
*I'd recommend a daily bible reading program or podcast, there are a few different ones out there, Bible In A Year, with Father Mike Schmitz is a great one to listen to. 20-30 min a day.

lukebrowning

Lil-Rokslider
How to Win Friends and Influence People - Dale Carnige

Seeking Wisdom: from Darwin to Munger - Peter Bevelin

The Laws of Human Nature - Robert Greene