Any CAD Designers on Here?

Kinda looking at some school programs for this. I've worked in welding/fab, maintenance for about 10 years and I feel like I've been stagnant on my career path for awhile. Any body got any input? I live in a really isolated area, so career oppurtunities are pretty limited locally. Looks like if you have some experience there's some remote possibilities? Is that true?

TSAMP

WKR
In manufacturing there are remote possibilities. However from my experience more senior experienced engineers are typically those getting the flexibility to do such, and thats typically within larger organizations. At entry level it may be more difficult to find as there is much to be learned on site for you.

You might look into controls/plc programming for automation.

Manufacturing will almost always require an on-site presence because sometimes you just need to see the part you're trying to draft up.

Since you're in an isolated area, what's internet dependability like? To work remote, you pretty much need stellar internet service.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went to school for it, I have progressed into Estimating/Project Management but I still do alot if CAD work. There is definitely an opportunity for some remote work. Shoot me a PM with any specific question.

OP
C
What field of CAD work are you interested in? Manufacturing or architectural/structural?
Manufacturing is more my relevant experience, but I'm not dialed to anything in particular. There's a little manufacturing locally, but I would think the latter would be easier to usewith construction etc. The program I'm looking at is just an Associate's does that make a difference?

OP
C
Manufacturing will almost always require an on-site presence because sometimes you just need to see the part you're trying to draft up.

Since you're in an isolated area, what's internet dependability like? To work remote, you pretty much need stellar internet service.
I think it's pretty decent but I don't know internet. Remote work has been pretty popular here and exploded since Covid came on the scene. Lot's of people moving here now that their job elsewhere has that option. Because of that I assume it's realistic.

quaggy25

Lil-Rokslider
I am an electrical engineer/operations manager in the AEC industry. If you want to get into that you’ll need skills in a program called Revit specifically. It is an autodesk CAD program. Most companies are moving away from AutoCAD in this industry. If you are looking at an associates program to get specifically into AEC I’d suggest the engineering side instead of the architectural side. Salaries are likely higher. We definitely have a need for Revit Production staff in the industry.

Manufacturing will be different. Just make sure your associates applies to what you want to do.

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like you're from the U.P. I'm involved in commercial construction in most of Wisconsin (and even have some work at the Iron Mountain post office this year). Just about every contractor that I deal with is looking for folks with a CAD background. Not sure about working from home, but if you're willing to compromise you could definitely find a job if you're willing to move south a few hours.

S.Clancy

WKR
Im a CE working for USDA. Our drafting, Civil 3D, generally falls on the design engineers. I think the days of dedicated drafters are phasing out in our industry. I imagine if you are looking at more industrial/manufacturing drafters are still very important, as the above posts suggest.

sndmn11

WKR
Maybe another thought, I do Business Development for an Architectural Surveying company; as-builts, ADA stuff, etc. We are always looking for surveyors as sub contractors or "full time" employees who work a travel schedule of roughly 1.5 business weeks off and 2.5 business weeks traveling to survey.

If someone did have the lifestyle capacity to travel and the ability to work AutoCAD, they can make a whole lot of money.

Our surveyors on site with Revit projects do not use the program, they just scan and go, but the AutoCAD projects the surveyors draft on site.

@Roofer1 @quaggy25 we should talk :)

I went to school for it, I have progressed into Estimating/Project Management but I still do alot if CAD work. There is definitely an opportunity for some remote work. Shoot me a PM with any specific question.

Same

Currently I'm in the construction field, but I also worked in a machine shop so i know how to work with Fab shops and show them the critical dimensions with proper notation

I am an electrical engineer/operations manager in the AEC industry. If you want to get into that you’ll need skills in a program called Revit specifically. It is an autodesk CAD program. Most companies are moving away from AutoCAD in this industry. If you are looking at an associates program to get specifically into AEC I’d suggest the engineering side instead of the architectural side. Salaries are likely higher. We definitely have a need for Revit Production staff in the industry.

Manufacturing will be different. Just make sure your associates applies to what you want to do.
Agreed. That's why I asked the question originally. I run a small structural engineering firm, and the industry is certainly moving toward Revit as the primary software.

FYI: If you've got a desire to learn printed circuit board design.... I'm looking for a PCB CAD Designer with Allegro experience. Pays up to $115K with bonus. Not a bad career path.

Think of printed circuit board and chip CAD designer stuff as basically Tetris in three dimensions operating within a very confined rule set. Lots of work out there but you are competing against teams of people in India and China. We used to have a real good Associates program for it in Dallas but that got stopped as they shifted more stuff overseas. I am the guy designing the chips and then passing the schematics off to CAD guy to get it drawn up.

MJB

WKR
Lots of drafting in the residential side we use 2 remote drafters for shop and production drawings, one is in Honduras and the other in MX.

If you are looking to get into the construction industry specifically, you'll want to focus on learning Revit (and Navisworks while you're at it). CAD/CAM is still alive and well, but everyone can do it and there is a major industry push toward Revit that is not going to stop. If you call around, the first question anyone is going to ask you is "How are you with Revit". You want to be able to tell them you have it mastered, and actually be able to perform. If you are technicallly savvy and understand automation & programming, you can separate yourself from the pack.

Most classes are going to be generic and indirect, teaching you some good basics, but not really preparing you to go out into the workforce and be competitive in a real work environment. Like most any career, you are going to learn a lot via on the job training. For that reason, it might be hard to enter into the workforce in a remote setting. If you can pick things up quickly and roll with the punches, you can do it.. but you may have a hard time finding opportunities without experience, as a lot of firms will prefer on site training when you are new. In that regard, getting in as a designer at an engineering firm would probably be your best bet.

Never stop learning. Jobs are sent to India every day, you have to give them a reason to keep one of them here for ya. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have questions.

CB4

WKR
I working the staffing industrial specifically for engineering. I can say 98% of entry level roles are onsite work. Managers want people who are willing to come into a facility and learn from the senior level guys. Designers are very hard to come by right now, most of that level of work gets sent overseas to India. Only small mom and pop type companies still do that work in the states. If you could find one of those locally some designers are making more than engineers.

Remote work is the goal for everyone right now but in all honestly there are few jobs that are set up to be successful with it long term. Companies made it work during covid but it was never a long term goal for them. If you want remote I would find an inside sales role. Feel free to reach out with any questions.

Odd responses in my opinion. If you're a welder/fabricator, capitalize on that knowledge. Learn Solidworks. Get a student copy from Titan CNC and learn it well, maybe get a SWCP cert. There should be some remote work out there. Use your fab knowledge to do good designs that work. If you know solidworks, you should be able to get hired to switch over to NX (a competitive product). As soon as you have a handle on CAD, start learning CAM - CAMWorks, MasterCam, Fusion 360 if you must. You won't be effective in CAM unless you work in a machine shop and do setups though...

Lear Autocad for the hell of it. It sucks, but its still a marketable skill, unfortunately.

I'm an EE and there is no way you're going to getting to PCB layout if you don't end up at a company that is willing to train you (and don't believe that running an autoroutes is CAD, that's button pushing, and garbage in = garbage out). That's possible, but probably not working remotely.