Any CAD Designers on Here?

Oh yeah - there's a ton of free training on the titan site if you just want to test the waters and see if you enjoy it.

Ignore titan's schtick. He means well...

Dogman-K

FNG
I have not read any responses so this might be redundant.

I taught Engineering Design courses (tech) for 40 years for a local community college. Since the 1980s, those courses were all CAD based. We used AutoCAD, Inventor, and Microstation. Very often I would counsel students who only wanted to learn the software by telling them CAD software is analogous to a shovel; it’s just a tool. Then, I tried to encourage them to complete our entire degree program.

I would recommend that you investigate local/regional community colleges and see if they have programs similar to the one below.

For what its worth, a number of my former students reported having incomes of > $100,000 a year - not bad for a 2 year degree.

Engineering Design/Tech Prep Program​

(69 semester credit hours)

An Associate of Applied Science degree program offered by the Technology and Business Division.

The program in engineering design is a four-semester course of study leading to an Associate in Applied Science degree. Specialized learning experiences include the implementation of computer-aided design software in various design disciplines. Instruction emphasizes the development of technical knowledge and drafting skills that are essential to the successful entrance in the job market as a design technician.

Former students have been employed as pipe designers, architectural designers, tool designers, civil designers, structural detail designers, electrical designers, and job estimators.

The Engineering Design program provides work-place experiences recommended by the U.S. Department of Labor Secretary's Commission on Achieving Necessary Skills (SCANS).

Some upper level universities will allow you to transfer anywhere from 24-44 hours of your technical credit toward a Bachelor of Applied Arts or Science degree. Contact your transfer university for information.

CourseCourse TitleSem. Hours
First Year, First Semester:*
DFTG 14051 & 2Technical Drafting
4​
DFTG 14091 & 2Basic Computer-Aided Drafting
4​
DFTG 1410Specialized Basic Computer Aided Drafting (CAD)
4​
MATH 1314College Algebra
3​
ENGL 1301Composition I
3​
18 sem. hrs
First Year, Second Semester:
MATH 1316Trigonometry
3​
DFTG 1417Architectural Drafting, Residential
4​
DFTG 2419Intermediate Computer-Aided Drafting
4​
DFTG 2440Solid Modeling/Design
4​
15 sem. hrs
Second Year, First Semester:
DFTG 2407Electrical Drafting
4​
DFTG 1493Special Topics in Civil Drafting and Civil Engineering CAD/CADD
4​
DFTG 2406Machine Design
4​
DFTG 2436Computer-Aided Drafting Programming
4​
ENGL 1302Composition II
3​
19 sem. hrs
Second Year, Second Semester:
DFTG 23383Final Project – Advanced Drafting (Capstone Course)
3​
DFTG 2423Pipe Drafting
4​
DFTG 2432Advanced Computer-Aided Drafting
4​
Social ScienceElective from AAS General Education Course list
3​
Humanities or Performing/Visual ArtsElective from AAS General Education Course list
3​
17 sem. hrs

Dogman-K

FNG
I failed to mention that with your welding/fabrication experience coupled with documented CAD proficiency would make you an ideal candidate for a structural designer.

Best of luck to you.