Any carbon barrel rifles that wont break the bank?

woods89

WKR
What issues have your buddy been dealing with? I am interested in getting a Traverse in a 270 Win. Thanks.
He was not completely happy with accuracy out of the box. The bedding job was pretty sketchy so he had it rebedded. This helped somewhat but the next issue was that it showed pressure with about half of the factory ammo he used in it. I believe he had some chamber work done which has helped.

If I had Christensen money to spend on a rifle I'd either buy a Tikka and pick up a suppressor for it with the balance or hope someone made a terrible mistake and listed their used Barret Fieldcraft.

I have yet to hear of someone having to have their Fieldcraft worked on to get it right........

I'd consider why you want a carbon barrel. If you want to look good for the 'gram, then carry on! Since I don't shoot with a suppressor and need the diameter at the shoulder, I've been hard pressed to see much need to go the carbon route.

I own a custom and if everything burned in a fire my next big game rifle would be a Tikka CTR in 6.5 CM. A Lite or Superlite would be fine as well but I like a little barrel weight.

As far a CA, my buddy has a Traverse in 300 Win Mag. He held one in the store and fell in love. Once he got home and started shooting it, it has been a little........ high maintainance. After hearing his experience I don't think I'd drop that kind of money on a Christiansen. He's also not going back with a carbon barrel after this one burns out. Sample size of one, though.

Make that a sample size of two… they even rebarreled mine and it’s still high maintenance. Great company, but rifles can be hit or miss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riversidejeep

Lil-Rokslider
For a while I was all jacked up for getting a lightweight carbon fiber barreled rifle and have been waiting on the Waypoints to become available. Then I had second thoughts, What happens when you get a ding in the carbon fiber?, does it go crunch and then a big nasty jag of carbon fiber hanging out? I know that on a steel barrel its no big deal, just buff it out . I have only had limited experience with the stuff. What say you?

B23

WKR
When you boil all the bullshit of the top it pretty much comes down to a couple of things. Do you want a larger contour barrel but without the extra weight and or do you want a CF wrapped barrel because you just like how they look and that's pretty much it no matter what the manufacturers try and sell you on.

You talk to most barrel companies that offer both CF wrapped barrels and regular barrels they'll tell you the same thing and the honest ones will even add there is some risk with regard to how well it will shoot anytime you turn a barrel down to be wrapped.

If you are willing to take that risk or you want a CF wrapped barrel because you like how they look or you want a larger contour without the extra weight and you don't mine spending double the cost to get one then a CF wrapped barrel is for you.

I have a few of them now and I was willing to spend the extra amount and take the risk because I like how they look but that is the only reason. So far, I've been lucky and the ones I have turned out to shoot very well but some others have not been as fortunate.

Reactions: WRM

Ram94

WKR
To the OP, if you’re looking for a “lightweight mountain rifle” then you might want to reconsider the carbon barrel. Typically a sporter steel barrel will be lighter than a carbon. I think a lot of people get that mixed up.

B23

WKR
I don't remember exactly but if I recall a #4 weighs right around the same weight as a CF wrapped barrel but not only is the all steel barrel half the cost but it's also more rigid.

The above is correct, if you truly want a LW build you can do it lighter and cheaper with an all steel barrel.

WRM

WKR
Kiwi Klimber carbon gaffs were the "sheyot" with the saddle hunting crowd, at least for a minute. All you need do is look at their website and see the wear they show that will make you need to consider retiring the climbers and you'll think twice (or thrice). Make my gaffs (and barrels) metal, please. There isn't really any good way to fix carbon fiber once it's split/gouged/dinged, as you've compromised the fiber. Will you have to throw away your barrel? No. Will you be perturbed about how it now looks? Maybe.

tdhanses

WKR
For a while I was all jacked up for getting a lightweight carbon fiber barreled rifle and have been waiting on the Waypoints to become available. Then I had second thoughts, What happens when you get a ding in the carbon fiber?, does it go crunch and then a big nasty jag of carbon fiber hanging out? I know that on a steel barrel its no big deal, just buff it out . I have only had limited experience with the stuff. What say you?
It can and will chip but it’s only cosmetic and doesn’t effect anything, it won’t dent.

Maybe I’m wrong but most of the carbon naysayers haven’t had a carbon barrel from what I can tell, personally I won’t go back to a steal only barrel, out of 4 carbons they have all shot amazing. I’ve had 2 proofs, 1 carbonsix and 1 CA.

WRM

WKR
It can and will chip but it’s only cosmetic and doesn’t effect anything, it won’t dent.

BUT, are you going to have a lil girl fit when it does, cuz it will.

And I'll freely admit I don't have one and likely never will. Don't want to pay the money for it and don't personally see the need for one in my life. I'd f it up first day and then be having a lil girl fit.

tdhanses

WKR
BUT, are you going to have a lil girl fit when it does, cuz it will.
Nope, I don’t baby mine, both proofs have chips and my carbonsix might as well, they are hardly noticeable. To me it’s like getting a scratch on a steal barrel or the stock, it’s character. If you want it to look pretty keep it in the safe and that goes for any gun.

WRM

WKR
Having seen what happens to chipped and gouged carbon fiber over time, it's not for me, even if price was closer to a steel barrel. To each his own, however.

OP
STAGHOUND

STAGHOUND

FNG
Thanks for all the comments I have decided to go with the Kimber hunter in a .308 or 30 06. I know this isn't a carbon barrel but I don't think I need one.

WRM

WKR
You won't regret it, and you likely don't. I have two and looking to get a Hunter in 280 AI and shave the barrel like the old Adirondack. Enjoy.

Before you go with the kimber, give tikka a look. Often times they are said to be like hitting the easy button when looking for an accurate rifle.

I can confirm those claims as these were my first 3 - 3 shot groups down the barrel of the tikka I picked up yesterday

107cea923ca4dfa4b0e704935cf8f815.jpg

fb66be5b415f699f03177e6804be7767.jpg

fe0404bcc5050f28d02deca69130ad71.jpg

OP
STAGHOUND

STAGHOUND

FNG
Before you go with the kimber, give tikka a look. Often times they are said to be like hitting the easy button when looking for an accurate rifle.

I can confirm those claims as these were my first 3 - 3 shot groups down the barrel of the tikka I picked up yesterday

107cea923ca4dfa4b0e704935cf8f815.jpg

fb66be5b415f699f03177e6804be7767.jpg

fe0404bcc5050f28d02deca69130ad71.jpg

Thanks I will have a look they are pretty accurate groups.

awpk03s

FNG
I swapped a Carbon Six barrel onto my Tikka T3. 17.5” 6.5CM. It shoots really well. I am getting 2630 FPS with a 143 ELDX on top of 42gr of H4350. Lead time for the barrel (In 2019) was 6 months.

I intended it to be a lighter weight hunting setup with a stiff light short barrel, but it’s still far from light.

Attachments

• IMG_7876.jpeg
    IMG_7876.jpeg
    698 KB · Views: 25
  • STEINER.jpeg
    STEINER.jpeg
    694.7 KB · Views: 24
I swapped a Carbon Six barrel onto my Tikka T3. 17.5” 6.5CM. It shoots really well. I am getting 2630 FPS with a 143 ELDX on top of 42gr of H4350. Lead time for the barrel (In 2019) was 6 months.

I intended it to be a lighter weight hunting setup with a stiff light short barrel, but it’s still far from light.

That’s awesome velocity! I’m getting 2655 with 143eldx and a 24” barrel