Any carbon barrel rifles that wont break the bank?

STAGHOUND

FNG
Any carbon barrel rifles that wont break the bank?

Hello just wondering, down the track I will be getting a lightweight mountain rifle most likely a .308 or .270 I would get something that packs a little more punch but I just turned 13. The other day in a shop I held a Christensen and arms Carbon barrel .300 win mag and loved it. I'm wondering if there are any carbon barrels that wont break the bank anything between $1000 - $2000 I know that's a long shot but I think its worth a try.

Forest

WKR
First of all a carbon barrel is far from necessary to kill critters. My suggestion would be to go buy a tikka for $6-700 and use the extra cash to help fund all the other necessary stuff you'll need. It will most likely shoot just as well and not be any heavier. You can always rebarrel with carbon down the road.

With that said the savage ultralite is a great deal, and by far the cheapest route into the carbon barrel category.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

That savage will be a great rifle for you to start with if nothing else other than that, the CA rifles are the next price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slugz

WKR
Second for the CA. Girlfriend got one and it shoots lights out. I'm really surprised how well it shoots factory ammo.

woods89

WKR
I'd consider why you want a carbon barrel. If you want to look good for the 'gram, then carry on! Since I don't shoot with a suppressor and need the diameter at the shoulder, I've been hard pressed to see much need to go the carbon route.

I own a custom and if everything burned in a fire my next big game rifle would be a Tikka CTR in 6.5 CM. A Lite or Superlite would be fine as well but I like a little barrel weight.

As far a CA, my buddy has a Traverse in 300 Win Mag. He held one in the store and fell in love. Once he got home and started shooting it, it has been a little........ high maintainance. After hearing his experience I don't think I'd drop that kind of money on a Christiansen. He's also not going back with a carbon barrel after this one burns out. Sample size of one, though.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Ridgeline. Early CA had some issues they got worked out. Its well documented. Hers out of the box shoots nearly as well as my 4000$ custom rifle. Really impressed with it.

What makes you say that they worked out the issues? I have seen quite a few from the last year, and nearly all had problems.

Slugz

WKR
Just based upon my experince the past 13 months, research, phone calls and other friends experience is all. This thing has been shooting so well I was doubting my custom rifle build.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Just based upon my experince the past 13 months, research, phone calls and other friends experience is all. This thing has been shooting so well I was doubting my custom rifle build.

Even in that thread- there are seven rifles that posters responded about- three of them had/have issues.

From what I’ve seen, and what those who I shoot with have seen, CA is better than they used to be, but still have significant problems in feeding, ejecting, and fitment of stocks with regards to action and barrel channels.

Slugz

WKR
Roger, copy all. Im just not seeing it is all. Everyone has to make their own purchase and decision. I'm happy with the purchase for the price point when I compare it to my custom build is all.

Last edited:

7rem

FNG
Check out the the Fierce Carbon Rival !! I have the Rival now in steel barrel and it’s a awesome rifle. I’ve owned 5 Christensen and would take the Fierce over them everytime.

MidwestElkHutner

Lil-Rokslider
In that price point, the savage ultralight is hard to beat. Savage actions have their quirks, but I own several semi custom rifles built off of savage actions and with a quality barrel manufacturer they just shoot!

However, I would echo a couple of the other comments. Find a tikka or similar for around $600 and spend the difference on a quality glass and ammo to practice. There are many options of factory rifles around $600 that will shoot better than a majority of the people behind them and last you a long time. The weight difference between steel and carbon in a sporter type contour barrel is minor. Carbon barrel rifles have there place. But until you have the experience and knowledge to understand and evaluate the true advantages carbon barrels offer, I think you would be better served with something like a tikka. Another thing to consider, is typically as a rifle gets lighter, the shooter's fundamentals need to be better to get the most accuracy out of the rifle. Just something to consider.

tdhanses

WKR
Howa has one that to me is a better deal then the savage and they make an amazing action, maybe a tad heavy but one that is true from the factory.

While not as fancy as my custom with an LPA action, my semi custom Howa is every bit as accurate and all I did was put a prefit barrel on it and bed a nice stock to it.

Forest

WKR
Howa has one that to me is a better deal then the savage and they make an amazing action, maybe a tad heavy but one that is true from the factory.

While not as fancy as my custom with an LPA action, my semi custom Howa is every bit as accurate and all I did was put a prefit barrel on it and bed a nice stock to it.
I haven't got to put my hands on one yet but I agree it should be a great gun. I would consider one if they offered it in other calibers

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

I'd consider why you want a carbon barrel. If you want to look good for the 'gram, then carry on! Since I don't shoot with a suppressor and need the diameter at the shoulder, I've been hard pressed to see much need to go the carbon route.

I own a custom and if everything burned in a fire my next big game rifle would be a Tikka CTR in 6.5 CM. A Lite or Superlite would be fine as well but I like a little barrel weight.

As far a CA, my buddy has a Traverse in 300 Win Mag. He held one in the store and fell in love. Once he got home and started shooting it, it has been a little........ high maintainance. After hearing his experience I don't think I'd drop that kind of money on a Christiansen. He's also not going back with a carbon barrel after this one burns out. Sample size of one, though.

What issues have your buddy been dealing with? I am interested in getting a Traverse in a 270 Win. Thanks.