Any Colorado GMU without beetle kill?

rodgep01

FNG
Just got done a bow hunt for elk in CO GMU 161, and after walking miles and miles over that beetle kill, was just wondering if there are any units worth hunting that have less or if that’s just going to be everywhere? Trying to narrow down where I want to go next year. Thanks!

OP
R

rodgep01

FNG
Haha well I guess that’s the trade off, to be fair I didn’t see or hear anything in 161 either but definitely had plenty to step over.

OP
R

rodgep01

FNG
Hard to avoid. You might be better off hitting the plyo box daily than trying to find an area without downfall.
Yea that’s a good idea, it wasn’t so much my fitness that was my concern about it, it’s just that it’s so slow moving, was hoping to cover ground faster.

RO1459

FNG
There are many areas that have not yet been affected. Like 12/13/24/131. Also, GMU 161 has a very low success rate (5 year average from CPW, is 11%) without the beetle kill. Ten years ago I hunted that area hard for two year. Both 2nd and 3rd seasons, and in two years I saw more Moose than elk. (I saw 2 Moose) That said, I did love hunting that area. I now hunt 131 mostly and see elk almost every day. o beetle kill so far.

cnelk

WKR
Unit 161 has no beetle kill?
When was the last time you were in there? 10+ years ago??

That place in deadfall city too.

RO1459

FNG
No, sorry for the confusion. The beetle kill 10 years ago was horrible. Very hard hunting because of the dead fall. The second year was harder than the first. I can only imagine what it looks like today. That's why I switched to 131. Where we hunt in 131 there is little to no beetle kill.

Just got done a bow hunt for elk in CO GMU 161, and after walking miles and miles over that beetle kill, was just wondering if there are any units worth hunting that have less or if that’s just going to be everywhere? Trying to narrow down where I want to go next year. Thanks!
Pagosa area is about the only area I have not seen beetle kill.