Any Colt light rifle/Nula hybrids out there?

Trees91

WKR
I found a clr in 30-06 at a local shop, got them talked down to a price I’m happy with. Going to pick it up today or tomorrow. I called Nula and talked to Melvin himself, got prices for a stock and a trigger and a few miscellaneous parts. The stock price surprised me, lower than I expected but the trigger seemed high. Does anyone know if you can buy a trigger right from timney or will a Remington 700 style work in it?

chefcreed

FNG
There are some threads on 24 hr campfire about them including one for sale now with a Jewel trigger but doesn’t say if Rem 700. I have no experience with them but the are very cool looking rifles.

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
I’ve been looking through a few old threads. Found out a Remington 700 trigger will work. I’ll go that route and hopefully have the gun sent to Melvin for a stock and bedding job.

Wapiti1

WKR
This is really stretching my memory, but I think Melvin used a slightly different safety on an otherwise Rem 700 trigger. You might need to swap some parts to make it work.

Honestly, I'd send it to Melvin and let him rework it as needed. Some of these shoot awesome, and some are just OK. Once he is done with it, you are set with a keep forever rifle. I've not seen one he built that wasn't superb.

Jeremy

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
If I gathered my info correctly the Remington style trigger will drop right in but it won’t have the bolt lock feature. I believe the timney Melvin uses locks the bolt while on safe, then to work the bolt while on safe you push down on the safety lever and it frees the bolt. That’s what it sounded like when I talked to him.

Sorry to keep blowing ya up but what’s the bare setup weigh now and what will it weigh when Melvin is done with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
That I don’t know. I’ll hopefully pick the gun up today. After Melvin I think it’ll be around 6 or slightly under. Should be the same as a Nula model 28. I may have him cut the barrel to 22” as well.

Dhbwa

WKR
I’ve done several of these...
Trees has the trigger info correct. On the only one I still have I just tuned up the Colt trigger.
The stock will shave off 12 oz which will put the bare rifle at 5-12.
Mine is a 270WBY with a Bartlein 2B in Mels stock.

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
What color did you go with for the stock? I’m thinking something simple, but some of the camo jobs he does are classic ula/Nula.

Bloodsoakedberber

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't gotten to that stage yet (was told I had 12 weeks to decide paint) but I am going with the green zolatone. I have a 308 in the classic green striped paint and a 300 win mag that looks like the model 28 short on his website. I can send some photos if you'd like.

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
Have any photos of the green zolatone? I don’t believe I have seen that. Or is it just green and zolatone is the kind of paint?

Bloodsoakedberber

Lil-Rokslider