Any DIY lightweight deer carts?

Bump79

WKR
If you read the OPs second post, he was talking about bringing camp in to a back country hunt, not dragging a whitetail out. Not sure why it would make any difference, though?
My response was less to the OP but to some of the other responses. Either way, to each their own.

Ok. Good to know. I am doing a backcountry style hunt this fall that is on an island and we will need to haul our whole camp 4-5 miles inland to set up for 7+ days. Temps could be down in the low to mid twenties at night, so we will be bringing a large Tipi and woodstove with us. I thought something with big wheels would help us get all of our gear out there easier.

0bc7a215c716bacffd0a7277b8371c99.jpg

Single wheel cart is the way to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunterjmj

WKR
When I was a a young teen my uncle brought this cart and talked about how great it was going to be to get deer out. I thought it would be great too but it was the most miserable experience. My uncle said he was going to make a few changes on it but my Dad said to never bring that space waster back. Get a good pack and haul it out.

OP
T

T3RRY P

FNG
Someone shared this on a facebook page that I follow. This is the closest thing I've seen to what I was envisioning. I would build out of lightweight aluminum tubing, and make it so the jet sled nests down inside of the frame. I hope that with the wheels centered, the load is more manageable. I think I'm going to just start building when i get some free time and see what I come up with. I appreciate everyone's input!

Attachments

• deer cart.PNG
    deer cart.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Someone shared this on a facebook page that I follow. This is the closest thing I've seen to what I was envisioning. I would build out of lightweight aluminum tubing, and make it so the jet sled nests down inside of the frame. I hope that with the wheels centered, the load is more manageable. I think I'm going to just start building when i get some free time and see what I come up with. I appreciate everyone's input!

- single wheel is best for trails. As long as Well balanced load works great.
-rear fixed bar with brake controls
-front bars hinged, works well for two people and uneven terrain/dips. Can be loaded up, allowing one person operation

OP
T

T3RRY P

FNG
- single wheel is best for trails. As long as Well balanced load works great.
-rear fixed bar with brake controls
-front bars hinged, works well for two people and uneven terrain/dips. Can be loaded up, allowing one person operation

Ok, I will definitely play around with a one wheel design. I stumbled on "Litter Carriers" while I was searching around the internet. There are quite a few good ideas there, and they are stable enough that they use them in backcountry emergencies to transport people out that are injured. I saw both one and two wheel designs!

I plan to just buy a kids Bike cart on Facebook. People are selling them all the time, you know the ones your kids sit it when they are little. Ill just gut it out and boom deer cart, and it hooks right up to your bike.
I see them for sale for $20 bucks all the Time

Superdoo

WKR
I plan to just buy a kids Bike cart on Facebook. People are selling them all the time, you know the ones your kids sit it when they are little. Ill just gut it out and boom deer cart, and it hooks right up to your bike.
I see them for sale for $20 bucks all the Time
I actually did this to get proof of concept on a design.
Spent my nights in the garage cutting up bed frames for angle iron and welding it.

Utter and complete failure…
I enjoyed the tinkering, but cutting all the welds sucked!

I actually did this to get proof of concept on a design.
Spent my nights in the garage cutting up bed frames for angle iron and welding it.

Utter and complete failure…
I enjoyed the tinkering, but cutting all the welds sucked!
Why didn’t you just leave the frame in tact?

Luckyrxc

FNG
Fabricated by my father in law. All aluminum tubing, brake handles, motorcycle tire, handles fold down. I agree that you have to have the right terrain and kill sight to make it work. But it handles a load REALLY well with two people on either end.
View attachment 438149
I like this a lot and the Chinese wheelbarrow, where the weight is positioned over the wheel works beautifully.
I made one and it works well with one or two people. Mine uses a mountain bike 26” quick release front wheel and caliper brake. It works well with Ortleib panniers as well. The top rack will fit two medium sized rear quarters nested in opposite directions. I also have a two wheeled cart made from a modified Burley bike trailer that’s hard to beat in the right circumstance. I’ve also used a sled and a backpack. There Isn’t one right answer as I’ve even combined the tools for various sections of a pack out. For those of you who think humping a quarter is the best method and the right answer all the time be thankful you are able to do it. For those of us with permanent injuries or who are aging (this will be you someday), we need to be more creative and careful, and I don‘t own llamas, goats, or mules, and often hunt alone.
OP, if you want I can send you pics of the carts/trailers I use.

Last edited:
Sherpa game carts out of NC. USA made, aluminum. Not diy, but light and ready to roll. Had ours for three years and no issues.