Any downside to a Go Lite SL-3

Buckman

WKR
After reading the tent thread I believe I want one. Never have had a tepee style tent before. I have been using a Hubba Hubba for years. Is this an upgrade? Will it be to cold for a 1 person tent for Oct. in Colorado at 8 to 9 thousand feet? Thanks

Doj4Whlr

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using the SL 3 for a few years now and I love it. Very spacious for one man and his gear. As for being too cold, well, that depends on what sleeping bag you're using really. I just purchased a stove jack from Bearpaw to sew in to my SL 3 and am waiting to buy a light-weight stove for those colder months. I mean, Oct in Colorado at 8-9K ASL can get pretty nasty and I think it will be nice to have a little heat if I can when getting in and out of the bag :) You'll find the SL 3 to be a very reliable, durable shelter; I have not been disappointed.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
What is the minimum weight for the SL3 using a trekking pole for the center pole?

Mike

The fly is 25 oz. Add guy lines and seam seal you are looking at 27 oz or so. Then depending on the number of stakes you want ot bring, minimum of 6 and up to 12, and the type of stakes it could be anywhere from 30-33 oz all up I believe.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine weighs 3 lbs on the nose with provided pole, tyvek sheet and 6 msr stakes all in a rei stuff sack. Hope that gives you an idea. Mike doesn't do floorless though right?

Mine weighs 3 lbs on the nose with provided pole, tyvek sheet and 6 msr stakes all in a rei stuff sack. Hope that gives you an idea. Mike doesn't do floorless though right?

Of course I don't do floorless... a bivy would be standard equipment :)

I was mainly asking as I see the weight listed on the GoLite website at 4 lbs 5 oz and yet everyone always talks about them being lighter. Thanks for the info!

Mike

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Of course I don't do floorless... a bivy would be standard equipment :)

I was mainly asking as I see the weight listed on the GoLite website at 4 lbs 5 oz and yet everyone always talks about them being lighter. Thanks for the info!

Mike

Mike,

That listed weight includes their nest which isn't needed. They don't break down the weights anymore on their site of inividual parts, pieces of their tipis which is a shame IMO. Personally if I were you I'd opt for the extra 5 oz of weight and get the SL-5 if it were me for 50% more space. I plan on selling my SL-3 shortly though if you are interested. Already seam sealed and guy lines already tied on...

Mike,

That listed weight includes their nest which isn't needed. They don't break down the weights anymore on their site of inividual parts, pieces of their tipis which is a shame IMO. Personally if I were you I'd opt for the extra 5 oz of weight and get the SL-5 if it were me for 50% more space. I plan on selling my SL-3 shortly though if you are interested. Already seam sealed and guy lines already tied on...

Luke,
I agree on them not breaking down their weights, was going to mention how I would think they'd sell more if they did...

I think at this point if I do go floorless I'll probably get the supertarp or just a cheap tarp. Would allow me to run a sub 10 oz bivy and NeoAir X-lite and depending on my bag/quilt keep my entire sleep system under or around 4 lbs. As I'm not in very wet conditions often or extreme backcountry I think this could be a great setup for myself. Trying to save weight by making first time smart decisions. Thank you though I'm sure you'll have no problem selling that SL3!

Mike

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I hear ya....if going solo for just 1-2 nights, then I'm gonna be using this:
http://climbhigh.com/ultralite-guide-tarp-6.html?gclid=CK6aps6d7LQCFal_QgodhlkAOg

With my Rev X Quilt (23 oz), Neo Air Pad 9 oz, TI Goat Bivy 7 oz, plus stakes and guylines the tarp will likely be around 16 oz. Making it around 3.5-3.75 pounds. However, if its raining i'm still going even if its gonna be a slog, so I'll gladly haul the extra 1.25 poudns of the SL-5 along for a little more elbow room and protection out of the rain as after hiking for 8-10 hours in the wind/rain I find its nice to be able to just sit and hangout out of the weather completely for a bit. I know I'm a pansy for it though so no worries there. :D

Last edited:
I hear ya....if going solo for just 1-2 nights, then I'm gonna be using this:
http://climbhigh.com/ultralite-guide-tarp-6.html?gclid=CK6aps6d7LQCFal_QgodhlkAOg

With my Rev X Quilt (23 oz), Neo Air Pad 9 oz, TI Goat Bivy 7 oz, plus stakes and guylines the tarp will likely be around 16 oz. Making it around 3.5-3.75 pounds. However, if its raining i'm still going even if its gonna be a slog, so I'll gladly haul the extra 1.25 poudns of the SL-5 along for a little more elbow room and protection out of the rain as after hiking for 8-10 hours in the wind/rain I find its nice to be able to just sit and hangout out of the weather completely for a bit. I know I'm a pansy for it though so no worries there. :D

Hey man, nothing pansy about having good gear trying untold yourself as comfortable as possible! :) if there is then you can lump me into that group...

Mike

OP
B

Buckman

WKR
If I get this SL-3 I will sub the nest that comes with it for a different one, that only takes up half or 3 quarter of inside space. Like Lukes setup with his SL-5. I am afraid that the footprint of the SL-5 is to big to easily find a spot flat enough. Maybe I'm wrong to worry bout that.

The only complaint I have with the SL-3 is that at 6'2" I have to be careful how I position myself so that I do not have either my head or my feet touching the sides when laying down.
Mine has held up well to a couple of years of use, and a full year of use from at least 10 over zealous, uncareful , absent minded, and just plain rough 9-16yr old kids.

bbrown

WKR
A couple years ago I was all set to buy the Golite but then someone recommended Oware. The Oware 9'x9' pyramid tarp (no nest - just the fly) is made out of 30d nylon, has 81 sqft of space, 72" tall and mine comes in at 28.9 ounces with guy outs and 11 stakes all for $215. Compare that to the SL3 (fly only) that is made with 15d nylon, has 59 sqft, 62" tall and the body/fly weighs just over 2 pounds (with guy lines and stakes) all for $250.
A more fair comparison is the SL5 which is made with 15d nylon, has almost 81 sqft of floor space, 72" tall, and I believe weighs around 2.25 for $300.

The Oware pyramid tents have a square bottom so they will not shed wind as well as the Golite or Kifaru but I have had mine in some pretty nasty winds and it has treated me well. The flip side of that is the square bottom provides more usable floor space.

I am not trying to bash Golite or talk you out of them - just another option. For that matter Bearpaw Wilderness Designs makes very similar tents as well but I have not used any of their stuff yet but I will be ordering a nest from them this spring.

Last edited:

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only complaint I have with the SL-3 is that at 6'2" I have to be careful how I position myself so that I do not have either my head or my feet touching the sides when laying down.
Mine has held up well to a couple of years of use, and a full year of use from at least 10 over zealous, uncareful , absent minded, and just plain rough 9-16yr old kids.

Spot on with Backpack Hunter. I'm only 5'11" and find myself usually rubbing one end or the other. I would definitley go the route of the SL-5 for the 5oz more, but that's just me.

OP
B

Buckman

WKR
I'm only 5'7" 165lbs. or so.I would love to have the SL-5 but am worryed bout its size for a one person backpack tent.

bbrown

WKR
You will be hard pressed to find a tent that provides the same space for less than 2.5 pounds. I use my 9'x9' Oware pyramid tent solo all the time. Its actually the only backpacking tent I own - sold all the others because their weight was as much or more than the Oware with much less space.

wvtradbow

FNG
I had the golite3,I really liked it but sold it in favor of the GL5 not much weight difference for a lot more room,my only complaint with the 3 was the color,I had the gold/yellow and that color really seem to attract the bugs,the green doesn't,so if you don't mind all the flying insects gathering toward the peak,then by all means go with yellow,if bugs ain't your thing stay with the green...By the way Bearpaw does some awesome customizing on the golites,awning,bug netting around the bottom etc..

Ray

WKR
I have a bear paw design nest for my SL-5. Very nice set up for two people and a dog. Wet dog stays on her own pad.

I will be picking up a bpwd silnyon tarp for back up shelter. It's similar to the brooks range Luke posted about. It has more guy out loops to create several styles of shelters.

After only one season I have really enjoyed the SL-5. Lots of room, light, and easy to set up. Need to start thinking about a stove, though.

Floorguy

WKR
I have to say that if I didn't already have the sl5 I would be looking at the Luna 4 bear paw has on his site and thinking about going cuben