Any Eberlestock F1 Mainframe pack users out ther?

Hi all- seems like I'm into systems that have not alot of users out in the field
anyone out there diggin their Eberlestock F1 Mainframe ext packs?

from what I've seen and researched they seem to have a lot of great features

looking at pulling the trigger soon

any feedback positive or negative is appreciated

thanks

sh...

EastMT

WKR
I have one I train with so I don’t wear on my other packs.

Good:

1-they are as durable as anything out there
2-modular accessories are extremely handy, rifle scabbard, batwings, duffel etc
3-very simple and fast to use
4-very quiet while hiking
5-Budget minded, batwings, dry bag and you are hunting.
6-I like the solid frame of an external with features of an internal

Bad:
1-load lifters are non functional and put lots of pressure on tops of shoulders
2-very narrow, can be annoying getting a large load stabilized
3-for large trips (7-10 days) room to haul camp, food, meat etc out can be difficult.
4-over 50 lbs isn’t as comfortable as the higher end stuff

All that being said, if you aren’t wanting to blow a ton on a top tier pack, can deal with some top of shoulder pain under large load, they are great. I have probably 1000 miles training with 50 lb sand bag in mine, several hunts, still looks brand new.

I choose another brand just because I like it, but they work fine, just not the “best”. If they would just take a few pointers/complaints and take the top of the frame up 3-4”, add a little padding to the straps lol his could be a great all around set up. But they don’t seem to listen to us for some reason

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have used one a lot, and some of coop's list of bad were some of my concerns, especially at 6'5" with the load lifters. That said when they came out with the taller version I was intrigued and used it. AS you can see in my profile pic that I used it well this fall.

Brandon Mason and I got to test out the Vapor series before it went to market and I was very pleased with the line up. From a light weight stand point it is in the mix with all of them. From a comfort stand point I was happy, many don't change out the shoulder harness or the waist belt early on for the correct sizing, being a big guy with the right fit I was happy.

Full disclosure, Eberlestock is a brand we work with here at Eastmans' a LOT and they have partnered with us for a very long time.

I’m 6-2 275. I got the tall F1 and put on the large belt and heavier padded shoulder harness. With the taller frame I get good lift on it unlike their standard frame sizes. Love like the modularity and durability but they still don’t haul as comfortably as a properly fitted higher end pack. That being said you can get one set up pretty cheap, especially buying used

I own the F1 and have very little cons. I've used many packs that have some improvements but still lack a majority of that packs modularity and comfort. Every year I'll haul 50-90lbs weekly to feed 'squirrels' at multiple places, ruck 30-60lbs (or take my kid), day and night hikes, antelope and elk trips. If fitted and loaded right it's very comfortable. Some dislike the width but I love it. Batwings are very, very nice. I have the tall, vapor500, and other stuff ordered so now I'll own two. Their might be better set ups but have nothing but positive things to say. Carried a lot of game with it and she looks brand new.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

What exactly are the “load lifters” and why do folks term them useless?

Im looking for a no nonsense pack that I can train with prior to a drop camp for moose next year, and then hopefully for hauling meat on that hunt. After that it would be used locally for hauling out small whitetail whole per some regs on certain public lands. No need for hauling gear in the foreseeable future. The Alaska drop hunt will be lake based and a few trips carrying waterproof duffels to campsite from plane isn’t a big deal.

edit: Also, what does the tall version do that aides in stability? It’s still anchored to body at same points right? Have a hard time understanding how height helps… unless it’s to
Secure a tall load like shank of A quarter. EDIT AGAIN…. Ah, I get it. The additional links put the top anchors closer to your shoulders, and bottom ones closer to your hips on a tall torso person. More difficult for it to rotate that way.

Last edited:

Im looking for a no nonsense pack that I can train with prior to a drop camp for moose next year, and then hopefully for hauling meat on that hunt. After that it would be used locally for hauling out small whitetail whole per some regs on certain public lands. No need for hauling gear in the foreseeable future. The Alaska drop hunt will be lake based and a few trips carrying waterproof duffels to campsite from plane isn’t a big deal.

edit: Also, what does the tall version do that aides in stability? It’s still anchored to body at same points right? Have a hard time understanding how height helps… unless it’s to
Secure a tall load like shank of A quarter.
If you buy the F1 and use their vapor 5000 it's about as perfect a set up as you can use. The short frame model doesn't have high load lifters, it's almost equal to the shoulder strap. They absolutely do work but if it was an inch or two bigger it would make a decent difference. They came out with the F1 tall and I use that in the last nine days in Idaho hunting out. My wife used the regular and I used the tall and we both have the 5,000 vapor series. It worked exceptionally well. I have no complaints whatsoever but that setup and will not be taking any other pack. After that trip I did use my buddies mystery ranch and I think it was good, but I still preferred my F1 tall. As I mentioned earlier, I think it's the most versatile pack that can do everything. About 5 minutes ago I just finished my ruck@ 80 lb with relative ease considering the weight.

EastMT

WKR

Secure a tall load like shank of A quarter. EDIT AGAIN…. Ah, I get it. The additional links put the top anchors closer to your shoulders, and bottom ones closer to your hips on a tall torso person. More difficult for it to rotate that way.

Load lifters are the straps at the top of the chest straps that connect to the frame. By sniffing the hip belt and tightening the load lifters, it takes the weight off the shoulders and puts it on the hips.

I personally adjust it back and forth under heavy load, put lots on hips, then switch and rest the hips and put on the shoulders. Helps with weight off your back as well.

I think I may be getting somewhere.

I’m liking idea of the F1 Mainframe, and my big waterproof duffel in between two batwings as a checked bag. Or maybe I buy their lightweight duffel for hell of it. Check that as a bag on flight, check my waterproof duffel as bag and check rifle. Have a pvc backpack for carryon. Not wild about three checked bags but it would get everything up there for sure and we can unpack smaller bags / reorganize/ etc once there after buying food etc and breaking into smaller bags for bush flight.

Checked bag like this

61E8D2F1-E57C-44E5-81CB-916E00820E3B.png

And then hunt like this. It’s a base camp moose hunt so the two bat wings are enough for snacks, field dressing kit etc. If we kill, can haul first load out like this. Batwings also light and affordable.

00302140-AA81-4788-9116-B13C5022DDF4.png

I think I may be getting somewhere.

I’m liking idea of the F1 Mainframe, and my big waterproof duffel in between two batwings as a checked bag. Or maybe I buy their lightweight duffel for hell of it. Check that as a bag on flight, check my waterproof duffel as bag and check rifle. Have a pvc backpack for carryon. Not wild about three checked bags but it would get everything up there for sure and we can unpack smaller bags / reorganize/ etc once there after buying food etc and breaking into smaller bags for bush flight.

Checked bag like this

View attachment 334199

And then hunt like this. It’s a base camp moose hunt so the two bat wings are enough for snacks, field dressing kit etc. If we kill, can haul first load out like this. Batwings also light and affordable.

View attachment 334200
I sent you a message. Feel free to call if you want. It will be easier to guide you that way. I don't think you'll need their drybag and will can save money. For the price you won't need it, especially if you get the vapor.

EastMT

WKR
I actually gave my regular sized one and duffle to my nephew who was looking for a cheap pack, so I handed it down.

I ordered the tall version for my deer hunting day pack. Batwings, scabbard, and game bags are all I need for this year, no 10 day trips!

Good info. Does anyone have any real comparison between the mainframe and the M1 Carrier? I am debating the need for the shelf on the bottom. What are the other differences? Thanks!

I own a Just One from Eberlestock and a Kuiu with an Icon Pro 5200 bag and Ultra 3000 bag and honestly, I like day hunting with my Just One more than the Kuiu with the 3000 bag. I just like the way it fits even though It is heavier. The Just One doesn’t have great meat hauling capabilties though due to lack of a good way to compress the load to your back, which seems like both the F1 and M1 can do well.

Good info. Does anyone have any real comparison between the mainframe and the M1 Carrier? I am debating the need for the shelf on the bottom. What are the other differences? Thanks!
I think they're both ideal packs. I am personally a huge fan of the meat shelf that's it also helps your bag stand flat if you lay it down and it makes for a really good pillow whenever you're leaning up against it haha. After using a meat shelf I just find using it so often that I don't want to go back without one.

Also, some things like a dry bag can just sit right on it. I find it holds stuff better that won't fit in a bag and makes for a great stabilizing support for things that wind strap/cinch well like a quarter. Also, I find having to adjust my bag much less because gravity and hiking often shifts stuff down but this stops that completely. My .02c

Thanks. The load shelf option on the Kuiu is functional, but it certainly isn’t a frame pack and it seems like the F1 is a great combination of lower weight and very good load carrying capability. I already have the thicker shoulder harness for the J34 and am looking to get the thicker hip belt.

Thanks. The load shelf option on the Kuiu is functional, but it certainly isn’t a frame pack and it seems like the F1 is a great combination of lower weight and very good load carrying capability. I already have the thicker shoulder harness for the J34 and am looking to get the thicker hip belt.
Do you like the think shoulder strap? That's something I've considered a lot lately but 40-50lbs doesn't bother me too much as I place the weight on my hips. Kuiu naked a great pack. The shelf on the F1 is narrow and not intrusive, which I really, really like. The modularity and comfort of that pack is exceptional imo

The thicker shoulder strap is well worth it in my opinion, so I am hoping the hip belt is the same. Unfortunately a lot of pack fit is individual and it is tough to try some of these packs out, especially where I live, far from most stores.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes, I have used both quite a bit, you can't get the M1 carrier in a tall version at the moment. The "shelf" at the bottom of the F1 doesn't work well if you use it on a horseback ride. If you can throw it over the panniers though and carry when the stock is hobbled then it won't be an issue at all.