Any Eberlestock F1 Mainframe pack users out ther?

woodswise

FNG
Been using the regular sized F1 for 3 years. The load lifters are not functional. They take little if any weight off the hips. The standard shoulder harness while good for shouldering the butt of a rifle, offers inadequate padding for hauling loads. The narrow width, eleven inches I think , is great for moving through thick vegetation. That holds true for the short length of the frame. Doesn't catch on limbs or overhead branches. I have the thicker padded shoulder harness and hip belt. A good improvement when hauling loads. Yet, the thick shoulder harness isn't as functional when shouldering the rifle. The transformer pack is the one I mount to the pack using the six straps and buckles. It has been discontinued. It is 23 liters, I think. All their gear thus far holds up well. Though one wonders about buying foreign made gear. Don't like the zipper attachment. Snugs up tight, yet too much dangling loose ends.Using the frame and the cargo panel is super. For loads under 40 pounds I like its performance, yet if you can afford the price and are to carry weight, go another direction. Just my thoughts. Every body is built different.

By the way, the shelf at the bottom of the F1 makes for a great place to lash and secure all kinds of loads.

AC300win

FNG
I am interested in the F1 mainframe, but I’m curious. Does the load shelf on the bottom ever get in the way? I’m a southeast whitetail hunter most the time, but I’m going on a few elk hunts and other stuff like that coming up. I really want to get a pack set up that’s good for my mobile treestand hunting as well as can be used for elk/western hunting effectively. I like the ability of the F1 to basically have any pack on it, but is the shelf going to be a blessing and a curse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I first started using my my F1 archery hunting where I sit a lot, I didnt really care fir the shelf as you couldnt lean back in it. Removing the pack works but found when running and gunning, just undo the waist belt and you have a ready made back rest to lean into at whatever angle you choose

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy is about 6-1" and has a Tall and there was little extra height to spare, but the load lifters are still angled upwards a bit so the Tall fits was barely okay. Any one over probably 5'-8" or may be 5'-10" max, should go Tall or the load lifters will not angle upwards properly to unload the shoulders on the F1. My new EXO K3 on the other hand was perfect with the Short frame and my 6'-0" height, so it depends on the frame design. What they SHOULD all do is give the distance from the load lifter attachment point at the pack, and the middle of the hip belt - as the hip belt should be centered over the iliac crest of the user's hips. That would be a universal reference anyone could use from pack to pack.

Attachments

• Arcteryx.PNG
    Arcteryx.PNG
    149.1 KB · Views: 34

Dadoode

FNG
In case the point needed clarifying...the F1 Main Frame can haul some weight! Shot this big boy this weekend in some HELLACIOUS blowdown about 2 miles from the truck. Took off the hind quarters and packed them back to the rig, forgot my knives and game bags on the way back in so just strapped the rest of him to the load shelf for the rest of the way. Guessing that was 120 lbs???

View attachment 346509View attachment 346510
TrailDog!- that looks great😅😁🦌
How did you strap it up to the frame???
I tried the same thing this weekend - with a much smaller reindeer. Not as easy as on the Tatonka Lastenkraxe😅

H3RO

FNG
YES! I am also an acolyte of the F1 main frame. I bought mine in 2011 for a 14 day early season elk hunt in the Bob Marshall...originally just strapped my summer pack to the frame and made do. Several years later I picked up the Super Spike duffel and ran that for about 8 years. Loved it, but I wanted more versatility and pockets for gear storage and organization.

Last year I started running the Kuiu Pro 3600 bag on the F1 frame...this is a winning combo. Plenty of meat hauling capacity, plenty of gear storage and organization. Works for light and fast day hunts, or 5 day over nights. I've hauled out LOTS of game on the F1 frame and it's a work horse. Best part about it is you can lean back on the frame/shelf and have a lovely backrest for glassing : )

Last week I hauled a bull out of the Great Bear Wilderness with two companions. One had a Seek pack, the other a Mystery Ranch frame. The beauty of the F1 frame is how FAST you can strap a quarter to it, I was loaded and ready to go well before these other guys.
How easy was it to adapt the KUIU 3600pro to the main frame? Specials straps needed?

TrailDog

FNG
How easy was it to adapt the KUIU 3600pro to the main frame? Specials straps needed?
No special straps are needed. There is no "physical" connection between the bag and the frame, the 3 load-cinching straps that are integral to the F1 frame are all that holds the bag on there, works like a charm. So you can pop those 3 straps open and off comes the bag. Infinitely adjustable.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
I use an F1 with an F65 little big top pack a phanny top pack and two of the compression sleeve things and love it works great is extremely comfortable I've pulled 3 week trips on this pack and had minimum 15 mile days in and out with it on every time. I'm 6'1 and 165-170 and it fits me perfectly.

An update for anyone interested. I have used my F1 Mainframe exclusively this year for hunting. Did some backpack archery with a Vapor 5000 and both archery and rifle day hunts with a Vapor 2500. I love this pack, but in the end I really feel like packs are all about which model fits you the best. I used another brand that was lighter, but didn’t like how it fit me. I really like how Eberlestock packs fit me and the F1 can carry loads of meat out like a champ. I’m 5’7” and use the regular size frame. These are NOT ultralight packs, but if it fits you well, I think the extra weight is worth it.

I own a tall Mainframe and have modded the absolute hell out of it in an effort to make it somewhat functional. The stock pack is so badly designed I'm having a hard time understanding how they are still in business sometimes. Uncomfortable shoulder straps, seriously lackluster hip belt, same crappy mesh material everywhere, not enough adjustment points on the frame, making it only suitable for giants, no decent load lifter angle, constant slippage due to the tubular frame, the list goes on.

It cracks me up that this thing is rated to 1300 lbs (that is not a typo), yet I can't carry 50 lbs comfortably at all, so what's the point?

I've swapped out the suspension for the HPG harness and Prairie belt, and cut down the lumbar pad in an attempt to prevent slippage, but there's just no getting around that horrible tubular frame. If it had stays at least I could bend them to the curve of my spine.

Avoid at all costs.
And I have the exact opposite experience with that pack - regular length version.

Peoples bodies are different and people have to use different packs.

Fwiw that pack is an excellent women's pack - it works great for us. Although I am sure there are women that are not comfy with it too but its shorter length works for our torsos typically.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
Have two of them one is set up with an f65 little big top and phanny top pack the other I add a grundens gage waterproof pack onto quite often I have no complaints at 6'1 and 165lbs the tall fit good and feels nice I've put a lot of miles on it over the years with lots of elevation change and never had a complaint used it all through Sweden as well with the f65 wish they still made that pack it was by far and away my favorite pack to date. I find that most issues people have with the F1 is primarily in the setup they do.

First off, congratulations on finding a pack that works for you - it's not an easy thing to accomplish.

I agree that people's bodies are different, but that is kind of my whole point when it comes to the Mainframe. Having a tubular frame makes it impossible to adjust the pack to the wearer's spine, and besides the fact that their options for customization are very limited, their design decisions are questionable at best. I remember coming across a YouTube comment by someone at Eberlestock who said (in so many words) that load lifters are overrated and the angle is pretty much inconsequential. Excuse me?

Eberlestock packs are notorious for carrying weight poorly. Considering what they charge, and where their packs are produced, I have a hard time understanding how they manage to survive among the likes of Exo, Kifaru, HPG, and SG.

Again, congratulations on making it work. God knows I've tried with this one.
Yea but there are people here besides me that don't have any issue with teh tubular frame.
I get you don't like it and thats cool but there are those that love it.
If you can make a pack work then go with it but to say its trash when it is not to myself and others is just your opinion.