Any Eberlestock F1 Mainframe pack users out ther?

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The thicker shoulder strap is well worth it in my opinion, so I am hoping the hip belt is the same. Unfortunately a lot of pack fit is individual and it is tough to try some of these packs out, especially where I live, far from most stores.
I agree, and used the bigger belt out of my battleship, it works well.

Ordered the tall mainframe and vapor 5000. Will be here on Friday. I won’t have any use for it until rifle opens up here, but may start doing some neighborhood walks with it and a bag of corn here soon. Just need the weather to cool off a little bit for this fat boy.

My mainframe tall and vapor 5000 showed up today. So far I like. Just took them out of box.

have a lot to do this weekend. Pumpkin patch stuff, more boat work and then either hunt or boat ride Sunday pm.

Hope to start some corn bag walks up and down a bridge around the corner and then through wet sand by Wednesday. EF8893CF-2697-40EB-B2C9-6DFC290D3D26.jpeg7A16923C-93A2-4B9D-B049-5E20507D3D65.jpegDDE1C397-18BC-44F6-8F22-4D9D5B50D32E.jpeg0C1F9DC6-E3BF-4267-B01D-213363540289.jpeg

KMSbuck

Lil-Rokslider
I have one I train with so I don’t wear on my other packs.

Good:

1-they are as durable as anything out there
2-modular accessories are extremely handy, rifle scabbard, batwings, duffel etc
3-very simple and fast to use
4-very quiet while hiking
5-Budget minded, batwings, dry bag and you are hunting.
6-I like the solid frame of an external with features of an internal

Bad:
1-load lifters are non functional and put lots of pressure on tops of shoulders
2-very narrow, can be annoying getting a large load stabilized
3-for large trips (7-10 days) room to haul camp, food, meat etc out can be difficult.
4-over 50 lbs isn’t as comfortable as the higher end stuff

All that being said, if you aren’t wanting to blow a ton on a top tier pack, can deal with some top of shoulder pain under large load, they are great. I have probably 1000 miles training with 50 lb sand bag in mine, several hunts, still looks brand new.

I choose another brand just because I like it, but they work fine, just not the “best”. If they would just take a few pointers/complaints and take the top of the frame up 3-4”, add a little padding to the straps lol his could be a great all around set up. But they don’t seem to listen to us for some reason
I LOVE the F1 Mainframe. Extremely comfortable for me and works so well to pack out meat. I usually just hunt with the Mainframe and Batwings, sometimes cinching a stuff sack with other gear and extra clothing between the Batwings. I can haul out an entire whitetail (bone in) pretty easily with this setup. The F1 has worked so well for me I’ve never even considered another pack.

TrailDog

FNG
YES! I am also an acolyte of the F1 main frame. I bought mine in 2011 for a 14 day early season elk hunt in the Bob Marshall...originally just strapped my summer pack to the frame and made do. Several years later I picked up the Super Spike duffel and ran that for about 8 years. Loved it, but I wanted more versatility and pockets for gear storage and organization.

Last year I started running the Kuiu Pro 3600 bag on the F1 frame...this is a winning combo. Plenty of meat hauling capacity, plenty of gear storage and organization. Works for light and fast day hunts, or 5 day over nights. I've hauled out LOTS of game on the F1 frame and it's a work horse. Best part about it is you can lean back on the frame/shelf and have a lovely backrest for glassing : )

Last week I hauled a bull out of the Great Bear Wilderness with two companions. One had a Seek pack, the other a Mystery Ranch frame. The beauty of the F1 frame is how FAST you can strap a quarter to it, I was loaded and ready to go well before these other guys.

Last edited:

TrailDog

FNG
In case the point needed clarifying...the F1 Main Frame can haul some weight! Shot this big boy this weekend in some HELLACIOUS blowdown about 2 miles from the truck. Took off the hind quarters and packed them back to the rig, forgot my knives and game bags on the way back in so just strapped the rest of him to the load shelf for the rest of the way. Guessing that was 120 lbs???

IMG_6879.jpgIMG_6887.jpg

Happy to see some F1 love here, I absolutely love mine and use it for bowhunting/hauling meat.

I have mine setup with the exo belt -the k3 for the k2 I think it is - you just have to move the velcro to the other side which is not hard. That setup is insanely comfortable. I am lucky though and the regular frame fits my back good with the load lifters working.

Considering adding the new renegade out of curiosity or maybe even a long frame with the thicker shoulder pads and another exo belt on it - bet that could really haul some weight comfy.

Anyone here using the euro x1 pack? I use that for bird hunting, small game in Colorado...I like that one for that purpose.

GWilliams

FNG
Bought the F1 mainframe tall, I haven’t messed with it a whole lot but am noticing the top of the frame riding a bit high, nearly to the base of my skull. I am 6-1, measured a 20” torso. Did I make a mistake buying the tall or is there an adjustment I haven’t found yet?

C.Jones

FNG
Bought the F1 mainframe tall, I haven’t messed with it a whole lot but am noticing the top of the frame riding a bit high, nearly to the base of my skull. I am 6-1, measured a 20” torso. Did I make a mistake buying the tall or is there an adjustment I haven’t found yet?
You get any feedback from anyone on that taller frame? Have been thinking of pulling the trigger on this frame/set up. I’m 6’2. This thread has been a good one for intel on these packs.. Take care

Gmr777

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using the mainframe for the last couple years. I have the regular frame, batwings, dry bag and duffle. Definitely versatile as have used as a day pack and multi day. Hard to find another pack so customizable and well made. Have carried heavy loads no problem. Recently got the larger padded shoulder straps and hip belt after reading really good reviews. Look like they will make packing even more comfortable.

The tall version definitely has better load lifters than the regular frame.

GWilliams

FNG
You get any feedback from anyone on that taller frame? Have been thinking of pulling the trigger on this frame/set up. I’m 6’2. This thread has been a good one for intel on these packs.. Take
Called eberlestock and spoke to a rep, basically it’s all preference. The tall frame will generally sit higher on your back but allows for much more lift than the standard. Based on your height I would recommend the tall, but measuring your torso would be most accurate. I am a 20” and have to adjust the ladder down but have since come to find i am very glad I went with the tall.

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
The load lifters should be angled UPWARDS from the shoulder to the pack mount. If they do not angle upwards, it is physically/geometrically impossible for them to "remove" load from the shoulders. I came across a pack mfr that recommended 30-60 degrees upwards slope as the proper angle on the load lifters. Look around and you will see lots of photos of folks with packs on with no angle on their load lifters. For very light packs it is no big deal but is of utmost importance with a heavy pack IMHO. I have passed over a couple packs for the simple reason they are too short to get the proper load lift angle. Currently looking at the eberlestock F1 with batwings for a day pack and meat hauler combo (feedback??). Definitely would go with the Tall model as my torso is about 21".

Bendejo

Lil-Rokslider
YES! I am also an acolyte of the F1 main frame. I bought mine in 2011 for a 14 day early season elk hunt in the Bob Marshall...originally just strapped my summer pack to the frame and made do. Several years later I picked up the Super Spike duffel and ran that for about 8 years. Loved it, but I wanted more versatility and pockets for gear storage and organization.

Last year I started running the Kuiu Pro 3600 bag on the F1 frame...this is a winning combo. Plenty of meat hauling capacity, plenty of gear storage and organization. Works for light and fast day hunts, or 5 day over nights. I've hauled out LOTS of game on the F1 frame and it's a work horse. Best part about it is you can lean back on the frame/shelf and have a lovely backrest for glassing : )

Last week I hauled a bull out of the Great Bear Wilderness with two companions. One had a Seek pack, the other a Mystery Ranch frame. The beauty of the F1 frame is how FAST you can strap a quarter to it, I was loaded and ready to go well before these other guys.
How does the kuiu pack hook up to the f1mf? I'd be interested to see any pics of the interface

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Munkish

FNG
One of my hunting buddies uses a mainframe and 2 batwings as his deer hunting setup (day hunts). Based on his recommendation, I've ordered a tall frame, 2 batwings, and a vapor 5000 with the goal of using is for some hunts we've got planned.

What accessories have people found most helpful for theirs?

I have a detachable scabbard along with the bat wings. Definitely adds weight but depending on what I’m doing I like the versatility of the scabbard. Rifle, tripod, folding stool, fishing poles, etc.

kmorrow63

FNG
Great thread, I was on the fence on getting one of these and just pulled the trigger on a mainframe with 2800 vapor pack and a buttbucket. 2 months out from my first ND mule deer hunt!

I own an older F1 with batwings - carried out deer with it and it's comfy.

It's much comfier now though after I added the EXO mountain gear hipbelt to it. Just get their k3 for the k2 belt kit, rip the stitches for the velcro patch and sew that on the other side and it fits the F1 perfectly. Pretty cheap upgrade too. Incredibly comfortable - seriously it's like you hardly feel the pack is on you when you are hiking around.

I would recomend a hipbelt upgrade of some sort for the pack - it's worth it.