Any electricians on here?

Elite

WKR
I recently bought a house and noticed there is 2 different sets of thermostat wires going to my furnace and a spare 3rd? Wondering if some one could explain what this is for? House only has 1 thermostat

5340cca8930eaacb9b8b0db71c9adb7e.jpg

386f422193fa46e29991e5515cd73650.jpg

1e5d1c50ac18374e4985ba9f12894675.jpg

428a4b52725581f5c29da687b101542d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the pictures show 2 separate step down transformers. Most likely 120v to 24v.
Without seeing the inside of the furnace and where they are landed its hard to say why they are there.
I would recommend having an hvac tech look into it.

Definitely two step down transformers. What kind of system are you controlling? Any indoor air quality system? UV, Humidifier, ect....

def90

WKR
Generally electricians aren't the ones that pull TStat wire in a house and few of them know anything about how they work.

Second and extra wire could be for any number of things. Humidifier, air exchanger damper, zone dampers. You would have to remove the cover of the furnace and take a pic of where the wires are connected to know what is possibly going on.

Last edited:

Boblee

FNG
Generally electricians aren't the ones that pull TStat wire in a house and few of them know anything about how they work.

Second and extra wire could be for any number of things. Humidifier, air exchanger damper, zone dampers. You would have to remove the cover of the furnace and take a pic of where the wires are connected to know what is possibly going on.
Most if not all the electricians I work/worked with know how to pull and wire a thermostat , it's not difficult, there is a standard color/letter code for t stats.

packer58

WKR
I have an electrical contractor buddy that also hunts...........so i guess you can be both.... but he does glow in the dark a little...

Adrico

FNG
The third picture shows a transformer powering a relay. Depending on where the wires coming out of the relay are connected to, (normally open, or normally closed contacts), that relay controls something that is activated either when the power coming in on that white wire goes off, or when the power is on.
The rest of the wires are possibly for other locations thermostats?

Those are just two wire cables. Wires are just that, wires. You have two control transformers there. One is wired to a relay. Neither may even be wired to your HVAC. A typical T- stat has more conductors than just the two wires. One could be a Door bell transformer, one could be a relay to a heat sensor/ a smoke detector in your duct/ a float for your condensation lines, power to a security system etc., etc. You would really need to trace the wiring out to the devices they are attached to. Some systems have Heat Pumps/Exterior condensers' units/ Furnaces etc. Typical T-Stat Below ( has more than two conductors).

MarkingWire Color CodeDescription
RRedPower, 24 Vac transformer
RcRedPower from cooling, 24 Vac transformer
RhRedPower from heat, 24 Vac transformer
CBlack/BlueCommon of 24 Vac transformer
WWhitePrimary heat cell relay
EBrownEmergency heat relay
YYellowPrimary cool call relay
Y2YellowSecondary cool call relay
GGreenFan relay
OOrangeChange-over relay to cool relay
BBlueChange-over relay to heat relay

As long as the AC works, don't worry about it, :)