Any experience with Allterra Carbon Hunter vs Mesa Altitude?

philcox

WKR
Wanted to get some thoughts on the difference with the 2 stocks. Allterra is less expensive, but not sure if the quality is similar. Would like to hear from folks who have run both. Pros and Cons.

Thanks, Phil

Alterra will run you close to $1100 to have it bedded and done up with a few accessories by them. Not sure on the mesa but the AllTerra requires pillar bedding and it’s an extra $300 to have them do it for you. I am still going that route because of stock geometry the AllTerra should be easier to spot impacts unbraked.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Red hawk rifles has the Mesa stocks on sale right now. I cannot help you on comparison but I have a Mesa and have no complaints.

I have both stocks. Quality is great on both. Mesa grip is more vertical (which I like) but the Allterra is a better designed stock overall in my opinion. I can spot impacts better with the Alltera regardless of shooting position but this is very noticeable when shooting prone. If I had to choose just one, it would be the Allterra.

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
Alterra will run you close to $1100 to have it bedded and done up with a few accessories by them. Not sure on the mesa but the AllTerra requires pillar bedding and it’s an extra $300 to have them do it for you. I am still going that route because of stock geometry the AllTerra should be easier to spot impacts unbraked.
Good to know. I currently run a Mesa and like it, just looked at the Allterra as an alternative, but at that additional $, not needed (for me that is)

In my limited experience, the Mesa is one of the worst stock designs when it comes to controlling muzzle rise and spotting your shots
I would definitely agree with this, I sold mine cuz it was pretty terrible to shoot prone compared to my Allterra carbon hunter.
Good to know. I currently run a Mesa and like it, just looked at the Allterra as an alternative, but at that additional $, not needed (for me that is)
I would never pay them to bed the pillars and action, its very easy to do yourself.
Watch a few YouTube videos, and buy some Pro Bed 2000.
Beware of stocks that come with the pillars installed, you really need to set them to your action with them protruding a little less than 1/16th" in the receiver and bottom metal area.

Lawnboi

WKR
I would definitely agree with this, I sold mine cuz it was pretty terrible to shoot prone compared to my Allterra carbon hunter.
I have no experience with the alterra, but did shoot the same exact rifle, in a mcmillan game warden and noticed an immediate difference. The mcmillan has a little more drop at the heel than what I’d consider ideal as well. It was surprising how different it was. Makes me wonder what an adjustable butt piece would do behind a heavier recoiling rifle.