Any Good Alternatives? FL Furnace Henley

Usually I buy from mountaineering companies rather than hunting companies for quality (my perception). The First Lite Furnace Henley looks like a quality mid layer for underneath my puffies of varying weights. The reviews make the merino seem very warm. I’d be using late season. Anything better out there for a similar mid layer, including from mountaineering companies?

If quality was similar, I’d like to spend a little less as well.

I have considered a fleece option instead. Pros and cons but the biggest con to be is layering ability because I will need something fairly low profile to fit under outer layers. My puffies are both cut somewhat thin in the arms for whatever reason even though they aren’t sized too small overall.

Last edited:
OP
I
The WoolX, Patagonia Caprille, and various lightweight fleece options seem like suitable alternatives in researching further. I’d welcome everyone’s preferences.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
Stanfield wool shirt. It’s warm, comfortable and last forever. Plus it looks good so you can wear it to dinner. Mine is almost a comfort blanket for me. Don’t think if ever gone hunting or fishing with out it.

OP
I
I've gone on a midweight fleece rabbit hole and leaning towards fleece now. May see the sunlight soon.

Shraggs

WKR
As a base layer, in real cold I’ve worn none better. Very warm comfortable and wicks decent for its weight. I think it’s 350 gram.

If hiking in real cold, it’s not going to wick if really sweating. So I use shear silk base under.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I got the furnace 1/4 zip today from FL. It appears very warm and thick. I actually just sold mine because I think I need a different size but am excited to get the right size back and wear it (and the zip off bottoms when they ship). I got mine for a super good deal and would consider black ovis on Camofire as a cheaper alternative.

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
I got the furnace 1/4 zip back in January. Very warm and I have been happy with it so far.

ChrisAU

WKR
IMO wool is for base layers and fleece performs better at warmth/weight ratio for mid layers. If its cold enough for a 350 gram wool base layer then the Furnace is great. Other wise I stick with a wick 150 base layer for 99% of my hunting and adjust my warmth with different weight fleece mid layers. I really like the Kuiu Peloton and Strongfleece stuff for that.

OP
I
Follow up: I ditched the FL Furnace idea and bought a North Face Glacier TKA 1/4 Zip. Way cheaper and I think it will be better for layering with active and inactive periods used in conjunction with my puffy.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
Rothco ECWCS level III mid-weight layer (what to search on amazon). It’s a mid weight grid fleece, quarter zip and has thumb holes. It’s what I was issued for cold weather in the Marines and I just ordered one on amazon as a thin mid layer to go over base layers and under my soft shell or rain jacket. It’s thin enough that it will also go underneath a hoodie and not impair my arms in my sleeves. I have a FL Catalyst which has small arms (their shooters cut or whatever) and it fits without being restrictive. It definitely fits under my Uncomphagre.

A benefit of that grid fleece is that is only $35 and mine lasted an entire workup and deployment (1.5 years or so) of almost daily use when it was winter time. More than durable enough for hunting.