any good universal phone scopes?

bard

Lil-Rokslider
hey guys. Ive got a zen ray ED2 spotter and an iPhone 7 plus. going to be upgrading the phone in the near future as well as the spotter one day so i don't really want to get the fitted phone scope that's no good with a different phone. anyone have any luck with a universal one they could recomend? i bought one in the past and it didn't work very well.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We have been offering the Carson HOOKUPZ™ 2.0 with great feedback
Universal 2.0 smartphone optics adapter fits nearly all smartphones & phablets like the iPhone XS/XSMax/X/8+/8/7+/7 with cases up to 3.75 inches wide

The HookUpz 2.0 is compatible with smartphones and phablets like the iiPhone XS/XS Max, iPhone X, iPhone 8/8 Plus, iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 6/6S Plus and Samsung Galaxy models with cases up to 3.75 inches wide.

Using the HookUpz Smartphone Adapters With Multiple Camera Phones:

• For Apple iPhone X users, if you encounter a black screen effect when digitally zooming - we recommend you use upgrade to at least iOS 12. If you don't wish to upgrade your iOS, only digitally zoom after you lock the focus and exposure (hold finger on screen on center of image viewed through optic until yellow box 'AE/AF LOCK' is displayed).

• For all Apple dual camera phones (iPhone XS/XSMax/X/8+/7+), align adapter to the 1x wide-angle camera, which is the one nearest the corner. For XS Max alignment will be about 2-3 mm lower than the center of corner camera.

ChrisAU

WKR
The Tines Up universal system works very well. The phone cases are cheap and you can keep re-using the same adapter when you get a new phone.

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend getting the tinesup. You can get the universal adapter then just buy a new case when you switch phones. The case is pretty cheap. I tried this along with Novagrade and a cheap amazon one. Tinesup by far worked the best for me.

If you still prefer one time purchase, I also have this cheap one off amazon:

It isn't as well made as the tinesup or novagrade. I don't like it as much as the tinesup, but it worked better for being able to get the phone lined up for me than the novagrade did.

The novagrade was very solid/well built, but I just found it difficult to get the phone lined up right as compared with the others.

OP
B

bard

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend getting the tinesup. You can get the universal adapter then just buy a new case when you switch phones. The case is pretty cheap. I tried this along with Novagrade and a cheap amazon one. Tinesup by far worked the best for me.

If you still prefer one time purchase, I also have this cheap one off amazon:

It isn't as well made as the tinesup or novagrade. I don't like it as much as the tinesup, but it worked better for being able to get the phone lined up for me than the novagrade did.

The novagrade was very solid/well built, but I just found it difficult to get the phone lined up right as compared with the others.

thanks for the info. Just to confirm the gosky you have is the cup style over the eyepiece that your link goes to? they have the other one that sort of clamps to the eyepiece and both have a big type. i like the cup style looking one more for ease of lining up.

300wmxcr2

FNG
I just bought a Gosky large cup style for my Vortex Razor of of Amazon, one of the few that are large enough to fit over the eye piece. It mounts to the scope solid and fits my phone with case no problem and is easy to align. For the price I think it was well worth it.
The only think I may add to my set up is a blue tooth shutter button, It doesn't matter what set up you have when you at max magnification and touch your phone/scope to take a picture is is going to move a bit and affect the quality of the pics.

OP
B

bard

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a Gosky large cup style for my Vortex Razor of of Amazon, one of the few that are large enough to fit over the eye piece. It mounts to the scope solid and fits my phone with case no problem and is easy to align. For the price I think it was well worth it.
The only think I may add to my set up is a blue tooth shutter button, It doesn't matter what set up you have when you at max magnification and touch your phone/scope to take a picture is is going to move a bit and affect the quality of the pics.

thanks. I think that's what i will pull the trigger on. if you have an Iphone the wired headphones volume button will click the picture. saves trying to touch the screen

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
I also use the Tines Up model and really like it. It works well, is aluminum, and I like that the threaded piece that attaches to my phone case is small enough that it's basically not noticeable.

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
thanks for the info. Just to confirm the gosky you have is the cup style over the eyepiece that your link goes to? they have the other one that sort of clamps to the eyepiece and both have a big type. i like the cup style looking one more for ease of lining up.

yes. I have the cup one

pc3

WKR
I use a Novagrade Double Gripper works well for me on my sons Hawke spotter along with my S2.

I have no experience with the tines up but it probably seems the most popular choice when looking at the Rokslide threads on the topic.

RyanC

WKR
I've used Tines Up ScopeCam in the past but didn't realize they had a universal PhoneCam. That thing looks like the ticket!!