Any gopro tips?

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just picked up a hero 5 and I'm learning to use it. I am certainly not trying to be a pro but would like to document hunts and family better. Anybody have any tips or sources to learn how to use it better?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
My only suggestion, turn it on and use it. It's super easy to forget to use these.

colonel00

WKR
Pick up one of the smart remotes. They come up on sale now and again. It definitely makes it easier to start and stop and even change settings.

Search Youtube for Mic Bergsma. He has a ton of videos that are pretty entertaining which is quite impressive since he is deaf. But, he caters the videos to quick tips to learn to use the Gopros.

Try to keep it mounted to something solid whenever possible. One issue I have with action cameras is all of the shaking. Even if you are moving, have whatever it is mounted to in frame as that actually helps to reduce the harshness of the shaking if something in the frame is not shaking. Examples would be mounting it to a fishing rod, gun barrel, bow stabalizer, etc.

With the above stated, the range of a Gopro is nominal for small things like animals. It's meant to capture action, movement and scenery.

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
Download the free GOPRO app. It has a lot of the same functions as the smart remote, and it's free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a smart remote I have never used. $50 shipped if you want it. Comes with charge card and manual. It's never left the house.

gumbl3

WKR
I just recently read somewhere that action cameras do well by changing the angle (low, high, offset) vs the straight on "newscamera" type shot

I've used my hero3 a bunch, and I really want to pick up one of the new ones. I have to agree with dotman, just use the thing. Film everything, time lapse everything, just remember that you brought it along and that you need to use it.

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a smart remote I have never used. $50 shipped if you want it. Comes with charge card and manual. It's never left the house.

I'll do some research and let you know

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

idcuda

WKR
There's a useful setting so that when you hit the power button, it turns on and starts recording. Hit the power button again, and it'll stop recording and turn off. Makes it easier to use if it's on your head, handlebars, etc.

Agree with the other statements. Use much different angles than you're used to and get uncomfortably close to subjects sometimes. Use it for still pics, too - some turn out awesome. And, don't forget to stick it underwater and take vids/pics.

Kilboars

WKR
I have mine set to start videoing at start up. So all I have to do is turn it on to start recording and off to stop. Much simpler IMO.