Any holographic (eotech) users here?

Blue72

WKR
Im a big red dot fan! The only downside, is that the sun can wash out the dot and you need to turn up the brightness. Was told this isn’t the case with holographic sights. Can anyone confirm this? What other benefits do they offer?

sndmn11

WKR
Both styles have the same result. However, you can turn a holo sight up very bright without as much of the washout you would see on a typical red dot

You have drastically better battery life with a red dot.

Shraggs

WKR
I did got a while on ar but liked aim point or trijcon dot better. Sent mine in to be converted to a crossbow sight which I like ver much.

Marble

WKR
I used an Eotech for 12 years doing search warrant service and range work. Whenever I would turn it on I would adjust it to what the current conditions were. I didn't want it to wash out my target, but I also didn't want it to cause me to pause when acquiring my target to to see my site. So I was rarely on the lowest setting or the highest.

But I would purposely practice with it in the wrong setting and with it off for situations where shit happens and you need to make whatever you got work.

The more you use your tool the better you'll be at knowing where you want it before you even turn it on.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

bnsafe

WKR
I could be wrong so I am not saying this as a fact, but, dont the reflex sites work much better with astigmatism over red dots? I have a aimpoint pro on my sthf rifle and it works amazingly. but, I have a eye disease and see the reflex site on a cheap vortex better. (not that its going on my shtf rifle over the red dot, I love the battery life on my red dot)

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
I could be wrong so I am not saying this as a fact, but, dont the reflex sites work much better with astigmatism over red dots? I have a aimpoint pro on my sthf rifle and it works amazingly. but, I have a eye disease and see the reflex site on a cheap vortex better. (not that its going on my shtf rifle over the red dot, I love the battery life on my red dot)
I have astigmatism, granted it’s not as bad as others suffer from but it’s still there. I have used both EOTechs and various Aimpoint optics on my service rifles over the years. I notice no difference between the two but I prefer a holographic optic over a dot for many reasons but the main one is the holograph doesn’t wash out as bad in the sunlight, in my experience anyway. The best option, for my use is a 1-6x or 1-4x LPVO (not a big fan of the fixed 4x Trijicon offerings). The new Vortex 1-8x the Army is starting to field with the new service rifle is pretty slick. Adds a bit of weight over other options but the ability to quickly have 8x magnification paired with the 6.8 SPC drastically increases a good marksman’s ability to effectively engage targets beyond 600 meters. Hopefully the ballistic calculator works as it is designed and doesn’t just add dead weight. Haven’t got hands-on with the Vortex NGSW-FC but I know people involved with the testing and they have told me it is great. Went a bit tangential so I apologize.

I have a double astigmatism so even though I like red dots, they aren't very precise for me because it looks like a small paint splatter. That's why I bought a 512 for my main AR and I like it a lot. I haven't had any issues with seeing the reticle on sunny days with the brightness turned up halfway.

I've read that green dots are better for bright conditions and for people with astigmatisms. I haven't tried one yet to verify those claims but I will eventually. You might want to look into that if you're not sold on holographic sights.