Any info on Wyoming deer hunt?

Mtwood24

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to get a feel for what to expect out of region for mule deer. I’ve got a little private access in ## but not committed to only hunting that. Any decent deer come out of there? I’m willing to put in the miles to find a good deer. Thanks!

Last edited:

Wags

WKR
It’s not what it used to be that’s for sure. There are still some good bucks around but they are far fewer. The timing of the hunt isn’t great and it’s been very warm the last few years and that doesn’t help. But, if you can get away from the crowds and are patient you could come across something decent.

Laramie

WKR
What caliber of buck is a “good buck” around here?
140" is a pretty good buck in W. I have seen a handful larger but they are pretty rare imo. If you see a decent 4 point, you should probably be shooting or plan to go home empty handed.

Laramie

WKR
Dang, that’s on the smaller end of what I was hoping to hear
It is general for residents. Most general areas in Wyoming are that way. There has been a point restriction in the area for a while that helped a bit. It was 4 point on one side or better. Then all you could find were 3 points so they adjusted it to allow 3 points basically allowing all yearlings to live an extra year before they got shot. You will see plenty of other hunters out there just trying to fill a tag on the first legal animal they come across. A trophy hunt this is not.

Dang, that’s on the smaller end of what I was hoping to hear
Used to hunt it several years in a row. We were working hard to find 130-140 4pts and pretty thrilled with it. The last time we hunted it a couple jack asses shot 10-15 times cross canyon into a herd of bucks that were between 800-900 yards away. They ended up killing two dinks and wounded two others. Never could find the other two for Kim to press charges. Couldn’t get it to show up well enough on video through my phone scope.

Pretty sure these dudes were fellow Californians, camped off the side of the road in their KUIU tent…

I have since moved on to better/different areas.

wytx

WKR
Nice buck!!
Glad to see a nice, mature 4 pt come out of that country.
Well done and congrats.